Recommend a vehicle dehumifier

I've been fighting a battle against leaks in my old Dakota, and while I've won many battles, the war is not quite over. I still get a damp carpet after heavy rains or short rains with high winds. At least it's not the puddle it used to be, just a damp carpet. The problem is, with a long history of leaks, a mold smell comes back quickly with each new wetting. I think the thing to do is to run a dehumidifier in there at all times. It gets driven about once a week, sometimes less, so unplugging something is not a big hassle like it would be with a daily driver.

pull the carpet. it's not just a Mold smell. there is mold in the pad. order up a new carpet, but don't install until you have the leak fully sorted. in the meantime, bedline the floor.

I would just run a fan in the car overnight with the windows open (inside a garage). Would cost a lot less than running a dehumidifier...

Originally Posted by Toys4Life_C5
I would just run a fan in the car overnight with the windows open (inside a garage). Would cost a lot less than running a dehumidifier...
So simple and costs about $16 Wallymart. Those box fans move lots of air on low I love them

Originally Posted by maxdustington
I was thinking about buying one of these: https://www.amazon.ca/Eva-dry-333-Renewable-Wireless-Dehumidifer/dp/B000H0XFCS to keep my tools from rusting in my trunk.
I have https://www.amazon.ca/Eva-Dry-EDV2200-Edv-2200-Dehumidifier-Mid-Size/dp/B001QTW6KQ and https://www.amazon.ca/Eva-dry-500-Renewable-Wireless-Dehumidifer/dp/B00BD0FN8A. While both of them work, are not as efficient. I would recommend the first one if you don't mind 'charging' the pellets every week.
Originally Posted by John_K
How about Damprid?
Originally Posted by carloz
Damprid is Calcium Chloride, highly corrosive if spilled. They have different packaging though. If you find something that will not leak, it is awesome. I think the cover is the only solution for you. If you have a garage, you can use the household dehumidifier.

Originally Posted by earlyre
pull the carpet. it's not just a Mold smell. there is mold in the pad. order up a new carpet, but don't install until you have the leak fully sorted. in the meantime, bedline the floor.
This is a good answer. Can you find the leak sources?

I use the sun. I don't have any leaks in my truck but my son and I regularly mountain bike and once in a while, one of our Camelbaks will leak if we forget to close the valve.

Last edited:
OP, After you get the leak fixed, I used a combination of wet/dry vacuum, sun, AC run on high. A (already mentioned) chap box fan and a cheap hair dryer used localized and not left unsupervised would solve some too.

problem I've found is it gets in the insulation beneath the carpet. the micro-dehum's are usually a small heater to keep the inside temp slightly high. it's a slow process, and the heat may help breed more mold. I have always had to pull and clean the pad if it's a big thing, and fix the leak. Once the leak is fixed the smell didn't seem to be a problem unless it got wet again. back in the day, some leaks were just fixed with a power drill in the floor. If you can't find it, look for water coming in through the door card. -m

Originally Posted by Toys4Life_C5
That's what I've been doing to dry it out. However that means one of my daily drivers has to sit outside. Right now I just need something I can set and forget, up to a week at a time. Outside.

Thank you for all the product recommendations, I'm checking them out. The water issue has been going on for over 5 years and I could write a book about how many I found, and how sneaky water is. But there's no point to launch into mold fixes while it still gets wet, even just a little. So, let's focus on the topic, dehumifiers.

It seems the Peltier dehumifiers don't work well in cool weather, and I don't know if I want the hassle of drying out dessicants. Still looking.