Rebuilt salvage cars

i bought a totalled from a state trooper , they do the inspection after repair in MO . tire wear was the only issue, but not severe. if you sat in the front passenger seat you could feel the floor slightly rippled.

So, referring to a comment above, my insurance company absolutely will cover a car with a salvage title... I did call and ask while considering one.

I watched the Volvo-salvage guy I knew for a time, as I kept an eye on his lot for one I’d want. Volvo’s total out easily because there are no/few 3rd party body part manufacturers, and all of the oem body panels are pricey. A simple front clip replacement with some hood and maybe radiator support damage will quickly total one out. He had developed relationships over the years with junkyards and dealerships and had a surplus of panels from the one set of models he specialized in, and relied on those relationships to keep costs down. Basically, he’d swap parts, had a good paint guy, and farmed any electronics works out to a shop he did a lot of business with. This was a small business, yes, but he cared about his products and took pride in his work. I hope he’s doing ok. I stopped looking and havent gone back, but I appreciated his work and his products.

I've rebuilt 4 salvaged autos. All lasted till 100k, when I usually sell them. Minor issues. NYS needs original equipment airbags to pass inspections. Frames were straight. Usually needed radiator support and engine and trans mounts. I see no problem with them.

My 92 Cavalier has a salvage title. I bought it wrecked in 2006 with 76,000 miles. It had been hit in the front end from the passenger side which basically sheared off the front edge of the car. Due to the age of the car, it had been totaled.

I mainly bought it for parts for my other 92 Cavalier but it still ran and drove and the car looked almost new other than the damage. The AC was still ice cold. Just for the heck of it I took it to a local guy who straightened frames and had him look at it. he said he could straighten everything for $225 but to bring him a good fender and hood. He was able to salvage the driver's side fender and core support.

He straightened everything, I finished putting the front end on which I had bought at the salvage yard in the same color as the car. I also bought a parts car for $50 that had good headlights, front bumper, bumper support, and grill.

I had about $1,000 in the car including the price to buy it.

Normally you have to have the highway patrol inspect it to get it registered but a local shop had already inspected it and passed it and so the main state DMV allowed me to use that inspection without going to the HWP.

It's been a good car since and currently has 241,000 miles on it.

I've rebuilt 4 salvaged autos. All lasted till 100k, when I usually sell them. Minor issues. NYS needs original equipment airbags to pass inspections. Frames were straight. Usually needed radiator support and engine and trans mounts. I see no problem with them.
Other people would. Congrats are being able to perform the work your self. Doing the work your self-is the only way I see salvage autos being advantageous.

Back