Reason I Only Use Hyundai OEM Air Filters Now !

*I bought an after market air filter , used for less than 10K miles and during that time I had a UOA that showed increased levels of silicon . I checked the slide in after market air filter and it was relatively clean so the high levels of silicon perplexed me . In order to try and remedy the problem I bought a genuine Hyundai Air filter for my 2017 Sonata and installed it : What I first noticed was the snug fit while being installed - no side ways wiggle at all as compared to the after market air filter . Also when comparing the two air filters the Hyundai air filter has wider gasketing material than the after market air filter . What I conclude is that after comparing the the Hyundai OEM air filter against the after market filter is while the filter media appeared similar , both had twist locking tabs - the Hyundai air filter has a wider gasket and a tighter fit with no side ways play at all . I now believe dirt (silicon) levels increased in my UOA with the after market air filter because silicon was skirting around the loose fit of the after market air filter and sneaking into the engine from the sides of the loose fitting after market air filter . Perhaps not all after market air filters are not loose but I do not want to find out . In my case , Hyundai OEM air filters fit best and due to my previous UOA increased levels of silicon with the after market air filter I have permanently switched to Hyundai OEM air filters for my Sonata .

I noticed a tighter fit with the Toyota OEM air filter for my 1992 Pickup. It's a shame I just bought a couple of Wix filters for the Toyota and Subaru. I am reluctant to use them now..

OEM always fit better, unless one goes to TOP quality aftermarket, but then the price difference is almost none.
I only go with aftermarket if I can find something better, not just cheaper. Life experience.

A few years ago I tried a FRAM A. in our last Forester, and the frame was so warped I couldn't close the airbox.

Brought that back but there was no more in stock.

Q.C. issue with cycling the over mold process too fast - I would guess.

Otherwise, I had luck with Fram AF's

On the Nissan, I had to seek out bottom tier STP air filters as most of the

"Quality" ones didn't pass any air !

Ill take Power of pristine efficacy all day - for my cars.

So If you are experiencing WOT no-power issues, that is a place to look.

Recently replaced the air filter on my parent's Highlander. The OEM filter had a strange pressed felt/molded pulp type of gasket that seemed kind of chintzy. I replaced it with a Champion air filter from Pep Boys and it had a full rubber gasket around the edges that made for a MUCH tighter seal on the airbox. The filter media on the Champion filter was also more robust than the Toyota filter.

I use after market air filters on my Chevy and never had any issues. I usually just buy based on price and availability (nothing ultra cheap, nothing high end) and replace the air filter every 12 months so they never really get all that dirty anyway.

I replaced air filter on my '99 Saturn with Napa/Wix. That car and the filter sucked. Within 3k miles the filter had a 1 inch hole in it. I hear you. Based on my previous experience I only buy OEM air filters now. You never know what you will get with aftermarket.

Will keep this in mind when it comes time to change the air filter in my Elantra.

Well, Not sure what to tell you. I have used aftermarket filters on my wifes Sonata for 9 yrs. 2012 Sonata GLS we bought new in July 2011. I changed the oil every 5k miles with Castrol Edge EP 5/20 using whatever air filters were on sale at Rock Auto and used the "Premium Guard" oil filters also through Rock Auto. Had UOA's done with zero issues.

You may want to check your air intake hose clamps. Maybe they are lose? Or maybe your TB clamps are lose. Dirty air is getting in somewhere, but I doubt its because of aftermarket filters.

Just my 10 cents. Over 9 yeas and 100k plus miles on our Sonata.

Originally Posted by dogememe
You had one defective filter and now all aftermarket filters are garbage. Huh.

*Pwerhaps should have stated : Make sure you get a snug fit with no side to side play in your choice of after market air filters .... Air intake system is good (no lose hoses clamps , etc.) I'll test again with another UOA and see how my silicon levels look with the new air filter .

I don't know if some side-to-side play is a problem.

O god seal is more about the perimeter getting a good light to moderate compression seal.

If course if the side to side is so sloppy that one edge would fall off that step or ledge - then you are in trouble !

-Ken

The air filter box on the Sonata and I think other models with the Theta II engine, is a bad design to me. It's not a "drop in filter" but it's what I would consider a "slide in filter". There is no way to verify if the filter has seated securely once you slide it into the air box. The Fram filter for this application has a type of cellulose seal instead of the rubber seal. I think this is a better design for this air box. It seems the rubber seal can make it difficult to get a perfect seal because the rubber can bind up and get stretched out on the mating surfaces of the air box. Some people have recommended using Vaseline for years on the rubber seals for this very reason. It needs to slide easily.

Fram recently ditched the rubber seal on the AF for the Chevy cobalt too. Went to a cellulose seal and they are much easier to install now.

Originally Posted by ChrisD46

*Pwerhaps should have stated : Make sure you get a snug fit with no side to side play in your choice of after market air filters .... Air intake system is good (no lose hoses clamps , etc.) I'll test again with another UOA and see how my silicon levels look with the new air filter .

Hey Chris. . . what did your silicon levels jump from / to in that UOA? Just curious how much of an impact it was. . . .

Originally Posted by Robster
Originally Posted by ChrisD46

Hey Chris. . . what did your silicon levels jump from / to in that UOA? Just curious how much of an impact it was. . . .

Silicon level was 16 (3, 800 mile OCI)

Back