Rear Struts Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings-
trying to purchase complete rear strut assemblies for a great running 2008 Honda Accord V6 coupe. Only KYB, Monroe, Gabriel,OE and unknown Chinese clones are available. Would like to install Sachs, Totikco(sp?) or Bilstein but can't get. Koni is available(as inserts) but far too expensive for a old daily driver. Any opinions/experience/recommendations with these brands (or others)? Prefer after market.

KYB had some issues with strut mounts, not sure if that is still on going. Gaberial is mostly chinese so they are hit or miss and monroe is ok for the most part. So the last couple complete struts I have used have been Monroe.

Check amazon for recent reviews to see if anything stands out.l But to be honest, they seem to be a crap shoot at best now.

It seems everytime I buy the complete assemblies, meaning like the quick struts with springs and mounts all together, I am barely satisfied with them. I usually end up replacing the top bearing plate/mount because they seem to fail quickly. I have had great luck with KYB shocks alone... I recomend buying a good strut and bearing plate, and reusing your springs... As far as what brand... I'd feel ok with KYB. For the mounts/bearing plates.... check Amazon and RockAuto for a good deal on a good name brand...

Last edited:
If your rear strut mounts/springs aren't clunking/squeaking or anything, reuse them and just buy a good set of rear struts and install your own.

KYB quick struts would be the best choice for you
smile.gif

Honda does offer OEM quick struts, but they are very expensive.

Another option is Honda's HFP kit
Part # 08W60-TE1-100A for automatic transmission, or -100B if it's a manual
Price is about $700, but you get all four

If you go with Monroes, you want their OE Spectrum line (Quick Struts or Single struts are available). They have lifetime replacement warranties. They have another line that is cheaper that I would avoid.

Originally Posted by LowMilesLesabre
If you go with Monroes, you want their OE Spectrum line (Quick Struts or Single struts are available). They have lifetime replacement warranties. They have another line that is cheaper that I would avoid.
I put OE Spectrums on the rear of my Tercel and it jacked it to the stratosphere like an old muscle car. Gabriel Ultras from RA if I could do it again.

EDIT: Just struts, not even quick struts.

Last edited:
Agreed on the OE Line of Monroe quick-struts. They are good. If they raise the ride height it is usually because the original springs were so worn the car was sagging. I would always do quick struts and never reuse the old springs, to me that is like putting clean clothes on a dirty body. But that is just me.

Originally Posted by willbur
Greetings-
trying to purchase complete rear strut assemblies for a great running 2008 Honda Accord V6 coupe. Only KYB, Monroe, Gabriel,OE and unknown Chinese clones are available. Would like to install Sachs, Totikco(sp?) or Bilstein but can't get. Koni is available(as inserts) but far too expensive for a old daily driver. Any opinions/experience/recommendations with these brands (or others)? Prefer after market.

Thanks for the helpful comments. Wiped the grease off the OE struts and see they are KYB. OE quick strut list $205/ each and Bernardi Honda wants about $147. Rock Auto has KYB for $97/each and less than $10 shipping for both. KYB from the Rock makes it a no brainer as its probably OE too

I think that the KYB would be the way to go. They should still be made in Japan. I have a set of the AGX on one car and a set of the stock replacements on another. They have been rock solid reliable. The KYB shocks will fit without needing to fiddle with them.

Last edited:
If Honda quick struts are only $50 more a piece I'd definitely go that route. I'm a very frugal person and try to save where I can but for that little of a difference it doesn't make sense to risk having to do them over and over again even if you have a lifetime warranty. If they failed once more in the time you own the car, ok...but if they failed more than one more time, that's a huge pain. Floating the money till they reimburse you, doing the job, getting an alignment again.

I've been debating on kyb vs Monroe, but that's for my Toyota minivan which would cost me $360 per side to replace my struts, mounts, and bellows boots with OEM parts. I hate to do a job again due to a failed strut mount like I read about so often and have experienced with customers cars, but I'm looking at saving more than $200 per strut in this case.

I haven't been happy with the MONROE OE Spec. They just didn't last in the Mazda3 that they were installed in, Front & Rear. Had to replace them twice in 4 years F & R.

Originally Posted by t1snwrbrdr12
If Honda quick struts are only $50 more a piece I'd definitely go that route.

01.gif

my take as well
smile.gif

If Honda quick struts are only $50 more a piece I'd definitely go that route. I'm a very frugal person and try to save where I can but for that little of a difference it doesn't make sense to risk having to do them over and over again even if you have a lifetime warranty. If they failed once more in the time you own the car, ok...but if they failed more than one more time, that's a huge pain. Floating the money till they reimburse you, doing the job, getting an alignment again.

I've been debating on kyb vs Monroe, but that's for my Toyota minivan which would cost me $360 per side to replace my struts, mounts, and bellows boots with OEM parts. I hate to do a job again due to a failed strut mount like I read about so often and have experienced with customers cars, but I'm looking at saving more than $200 per strut in this case.

Thank you for your response. I checked with KYB tech support and they told me their replacement complete Strut Plus assembly is the same as the Honda OE unit from the dealer (and built on the same assembly line), but damping is increased 10-15% to compensate for vehicle suspension wear. Lifetime warranty, too. Good enuff for me and I'll order from RA and save over $50 per side.

Thank you for your response. I checked with KYB tech support and they told me their replacement complete Strut Plus assembly is the same as the Honda OE unit from the dealer (and built on the same assembly line), but damping is increased 10-15% to compensate for vehicle suspension wear. Lifetime warranty, too. Good enuff for me and I'll order from RA and save over $50 per side.

What part of the suspension wearing would require the extra dampening? They come with the springs. So maybe sway bar end links, bushings, hmm...
confused2.gif

Originally Posted by MarkM66

What part of the suspension wearing would require the extra dampening? They come with the springs. So maybe sway bar end links, bushings, hmm...
confused2.gif

Yep. I asked the same question and KYB indicated its the components you mention. I suspected the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back