Readyboost is in fact providing a boost

Status
Not open for further replies.
To my old laptop.

I was considering getting a new laptop as the Dell 1318 I use is getting long in the tooth. Nothing is wrong with it, but compared to newer laptops it seems sluggish.

I decided to give readyboost a try and used put a spare 4GB micro SD into an SD adapter and run it as a dedicated readyboost cache. Responsiveness improved a bit and programs loaded a bit faster, but it was only a class 2 card and just cracked the read/write speeds required by Win 7.

Best Buy had a sale a few weeks ago on all their San Disk cards so I picked up an Ultra class 6 8GB SDHC card. I can now for certain say that Readyboost has made a significant improvement in the responsiveness of the system. The machine has a Pentium Dual Core (cut down FSB and cache version of a Core 2 Duo) and 4GB of RAM. The HDD however is only a 5400rpm.

Monitoring the Readyboost cache access for a week showed that the system is regularly hitting the SD card for retrievals particularly when starting programs and performing other routine operations I use the system for. I honestly didn't expect much if any of an improvement as the conventional wisdom is that if you already have 4GB of RAM it Readyboost won't make any noticeable impact. I was, however, wrong in my assumptions and in believing the conventional wisdom regarding RAM capacity and Readyboost benefit.

For $15 I can't complain about the significant improvement in responsiveness and am now going to hold off on a new laptop for at least another 18 months or so. I've still got the Core 2 Duo desktop with 8GB RAM I built in 2008 that is overclocked to 3.1GHz for more strenuous use (video editing).

That is my experience with Ready Boost, though I was told it would not make a difference. I just ignored what others said. I guess my ignorance finally paid off...
smile.gif

I use a 4GB SD card dedicated to Ready Boost, to run Windows 7 Professional on an old Acer netbook with 1GB of RAM. It helps tremendously.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Anyone tried using USB instead of SD and see if it is even better?

From my understandining, It depends on the speed of your controllers as well the speed of the flash memory.

There are some SD controllers that are as fast or faster than usb controllers. Same goes for usb controllers.

Crystaldiskmark can show large differences in speed using the same flash memory on different systems. Its all a combination of memory speed and controller speed.

There are also some flash memory devices that use 2 different kinds of memory cells. They'll give a fast initial read/write speed for the first few MBs and then the speed goes down when they switch to the slower memory cells. Its done so manufacturers can claim higher speed as well as a cheap way to provide a performance increase in certain circumstances.

if you had usb3 and a usb3 memory stick its probably better.

otherwise A fast SD Card is better and more convenient (doesnt stick out usually)

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Anyone tried using USB instead of SD and see if it is even better?

I have a Lexar Jumpdrive Lightening 4 gb drive on my Vista computer. Have not used the SD card on this computer, but on laptop I had with Vista with similar results. It was a higher speed SD card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back