RAVENOL USVO VST 5W-40 any other oil on the market that is better ?

It just means a much better approach than what the NASIOC is superspreading. Depicts the Motul as an impressive 5W-30 and also depicts a Castrol Edge as an impressive 0W-30... The rest is in the eye of the beholder – as with the importance of centiNoacks or faibles for fable esters or all those personal fixations and deformations of mine. I'd say you have lots of options. Dozens.

Reactions: BDK
It just means a much better approach than what the NASIOC is superspreading. Depicts the Motul as an impressive 5W-30 and also depicts a Castrol Edge as an impressive 0W-30... The rest is in the eye of the beholder – as with the importance of centiNoacks or faibles for fable esters or all those personal fixations and deformations of mine. I'd say you have lots of options. Dozens.

Thank you very much I sure learned a lot today!

And if we compare the 3 oils in the table below .....how is not MOTUL sport the best out of those 3? I cannot understand? People keep mentioning 10W30 5W50 10W50 but I'm not talking about that I wont use anything other than 5W30 5W40 or 0W40.....I'm talking about the best 5W40 oil with the best noack and HTHS....maybe I'm too stupid to understand? Or are you trying to tell me that as long as the oil meets the minimum HTHS and noack there is no point comparing those characteristics, and I should be looking at something else to determine the best oil for my application? Subaru turbo boxer engines are notorious for shearing oil even under normal driving conditions....that's why i'm looking at HTHS and noack...

View attachment 29676

These 3 oils cost about the same here in the UK give or take £3 or £4,,,,
You also don't know what is ZDDP level in Sport, which track oils generally have upward of 1000ppm. For example Mobil1 15W50 which is marketed for track use has 1,300ppm.
So, HTHS is important, and higher HTHS from lower KV100 is better, but there is more to it.

You also don't know what is ZDDP level in Sport, which track oils generally have upward of 1000ppm. For example Mobil1 15W50 which is marketed for track use has 1,300ppm.
So, HTHS is important, and higher HTHS from lower KV100 is better, but there is more to it.

Thanks for the reply, are you able to elaborate a bit more? What else am I looking for?

Thanks for the reply, are you able to elaborate a bit more? What else am I looking for?
Well, ZDDP is pretty much most important anti-wear additive. However, a lot of ZDDP in case of oil consumption can damage catalytic converter, so it is limited by approvals, specifications.
True racing cars do not have that issue, meaning catalytic converter. Theya re not street legal. That is why for example Redline has some 2,200ppm in their racing oils, Mobil1 0W30 and 0W50 racing oils some 1,600ppm, same as Valvoline VR1. That is also one of teh reasons manufacturer says you should not use that oil in daily driving regime (among other things).
But, street/track oils such as Motul Sport, Mobil1 15W50 usually have up to 1,300ppm. Redline 5W30 is some 1150ppm. Now, Mobil1 is specific how much each of their oils has ZDDP, Redline so so. Others not so much. You can find out approximately from VOA and UOA. Motul does not publishes that as far as I know, and not sure is there anywhere VOA or UOA of that oil. But, be sure that additive package in that oil is targeted to be used on track, and you might not find all details about it in public. You will eventually have to trust them and maybe run several oils and do UOA.

Reactions: BDK
IMO the case with most Ravenol's oils i've seen, is that the base stocks they use are very good, but for some reason "skimp" on the add pack.
Like for example ZDDP, not even their racing oils seem to have 1000ppm.

We could go on like this forever at the end of the day I'm not racing on a formula 1 circuit, I went with Motul Xclean+ 5w30 after having a look at Gokhans table for a turbo subaru the most important stats are HTHS(HTHSV) and Noack according to most Subaru owners and forums so I'll just go with that....but I'm sure I'll be ok with any ACEA A3 C3 API SN SP oil on the market...

Here in the states, we tend to choose Rotella T6 5W-40 (HTHS 4.0) or Mobil 1, 5W-40 TDT (HTHS 4.0) .

Interestingly, the M1 TDT produced the lowest UOA wear metal numbers on VW diesel engines, in a TDI forum spreadsheet. From this information, many of us have gone on to use either oil in turbocharged race cars, high perf motorcycles and outdoor power equipment with superb results.

Here in the states, we tend to choose Rotella T6 5W-40 (HTHS 4.0) or Mobil 1, 5W-40 TDT (HTHS 4.0) .

Interestingly, the M1 TDT produced the lowest UOA wear metal numbers on VW diesel engines, in a TDI forum spreadsheet. From this information, many of us have gone on to use either oil in turbocharged race cars, high perf motorcycles and outdoor power equipment with superb results.

Those oils are not available in europe unfortunately.

Someone's pics to illustrate evermore cleanliness with the VST and some easy Motul: https://oil-club.de/index.php?thread/8212-5w-40er-im-vergleich-die-öle-unsere-erfahrungen-in-direkter-gegenüberstellung/

In my eyes no substitute for this kind of visual guessing: https://belautoparts.by/v_chem_razn...ly_tech_10w40_poly_tech_5w30_i_obyichnyimi_t/

but at least he was looking at impressions from one engine again and again.

The 2nd link has something to sell you and they also call the Ravenol "conventional" synthetic, whereas Ravenol clearly states it is fully synthetic and PAO based:
Ravenol said:
RAVENOL VollSynth Turbo VST SAE 5W-40 ist ein PAO (Polyalphaolefin) basiertes, vollsynthetisches Motorenöl mit spezieller USVO® und bewährter CleanSynto® Technologie für PKW Motoren (Benzin und Diesel) mit und ohne Turboaufladung und Direkteinspritzer.

This is well supported by the -51C pour point.

Okay, my bad, that's a misunderstanding as I've been unclear. I'm not against the Ravenol or either Ravenol (while I'd be against too many senseless pics of uncovered valve areas ;-) I'd not be after the VST, but that hadn't been the point or service...
The second Ravenol was a different one, not VST: http://www.lubrico.md/proba-masel/

The 2020 edition of Mr. Rudnicks book by the way has a separate chapter on OSP now. Still to be read together with the one on PAG unfortunately and on the other hand still somewhat problematic perhaps regarding possible differences between PAG, standard OSP and capped OSP when it come's to clean decomposition et al.
Each and every more scientific guesswork definitely always welcome, but the set of pics there insofar was certainly acceptable.

Okay, my bad, that's a misunderstanding as I've been unclear. I'm not against the Ravenol or either Ravenol (while I'd be against too many senseless pics of uncovered valve areas ;-) I'd not be after the VST, but that hadn't been the point or service...
The second Ravenol was a different one, not VST: http://www.lubrico.md/proba-masel/

OK, I thought you were comparing two results with the same product. So the 2nd one is clearly a lower-tier offering like Castrol's 5w-40, but with even fewer approvals.

This most recent link says "but what about my Porsche". Well, the HCS doesn't have any Porsche approvals, so....?

Also, they included an oil that doesn't even have a real SAE grade attached to it (7.5W-40) so that's already a pretty big red flag.

I also love how he ripped off the Harley Davidson logo for his site branding :ROFLMAO:

Xenum is one of the few or maybe the only line except Kroon's Poly Tech to somewhat prominently rely on OSP. Bizol didn't let my question show up in their forum so far and they're less clear when describing their oils. Still, wanting to avoid the easy Xenum distraction I chose the first link first ;-)

Then there might be an additional oil or two from TOTAL, but I didn't even introduce me yet to Total.

This does look very promosing, and in holland i can get it pretty cheap.

The bmw engine in the link posted here looked verry clean.

Maybe i will give it a try to see if it can lower my oil consumption and improve cleanliness.

I am currently running ravenol 5w40 vsi in a peugeot 1.6 16v port injected 4 cylinder that belongs to a mate of mine.

Those engines are pretty bullet proof so i dont excpect any problems, also no oil consumption.

It has currently done 15.5k miles and will be changed at 22k miles.

Engine was opened last year for a valve cover gasket replacement and was basicly brand new in terms of cleanliness at 160k miles.

Back