Ravenol 5w30 REP vs VMS vs VMP

MPT claims to use zero Group I/II/II or viscosity modifier whatsoever in their Thirty-K and Racing oils. Red Line doesn't make that kind of claim for any of their product lines, and AFAICT their SDSs give no indication that that's what they're doing.

I was just indicating that Redline's white bottle series is PAO/Ester with incredibly robust additive packages and widely used in racing, essentially the flip side of MPT who is claiming to do the same or "better" in formulation but does not have that reputation or following.

So might be similar to the Mobil situation where the PDS for the 0w-40 wasn't updated to reflect the Global formulation for like a year. I'd expect the German site here to be more current, so that gives us yet another 0w-40 that is no longer formally approved for LL-01 on top of the three I already listed.
Actually, situation is different.
Mobil1 changed formulation before LL01 was updated in 2018. They never had LL01 said that is being approved post 2018 LL01 revision.
Castrol did same thing as did Pennzoil.
Ravenol is keeping their pds with LL01 for two years on. Pentosin actually has pds from 2016, they are even worse.

Actually, situation is different.
Mobil1 changed formulation before LL01 was updated in 2018. They never had LL01 said that is being approved post 2018 LL01 revision.
Castrol did same thing as did Pennzoil.
Ravenol is keeping their pds with LL01 for two years on. Pentosin actually has pds from 2016, they are even worse.

We aren't talking about the same thing.

When Mobil 1 0w-40 was transitioned to a "Global" formula the PDS on the US website wasn't updated for at least a year. The one in Canada, it was several years, and that's happened multiple times.

Sometimes these companies are slow to update their regional sites, just like they are often slow to update regional PDS's when there's been a formulation change. Look at the Gong Show that is the Castrol PDS system where you have stuff that's from 2012. It would be very easy for somebody to choose "US" and get the 2012 PDS rather than "Americas" and get the 2019 one for example.

I will keep buying ESP for under $6 a qt on sale 3 -4 times a year from Napa for the real win.

Yup, that's a great deal! We don't get anything close to that good up here, but I do stock up on M1 EP when a deal presents.

We aren't talking about the same thing.

When Mobil 1 0w-40 was transitioned to a "Global" formula the PDS on the US website wasn't updated for at least a year. The one in Canada, it was several years, and that's happened multiple times.

Sometimes these companies are slow to update their regional sites, just like they are often slow to update regional PDS's when there's been a formulation change. Look at the Gong Show that is the Castrol PDS system where you have stuff that's from 2012. It would be very easy for somebody to choose "US" and get the 2012 PDS rather than "Americas" and get the 2019 one for example.
Actually Castrol Edge 0W30 has pds from 2016, but they removed LL01.

Advance Auto is currently running a special where Valvoline 5W40 is BOGO (Reg. $10qt), and M1 ESP 0W-30 is 5qts and a filter for $33

Current?
Here is current:

You cannot access any PDS of Castrol 0W40 except this one on their web site. Other one is MSDS.

Yes, "Current" if you choose "US" as your region, you get this PDS from 2012:

Whereas if you choose "All" and scroll until you find the one for the Americas, you get this PDS from 2019:

Which I already explained earlier.

Yes, "Current" if you choose "US" as your region, you get this PDS from 2012:

Whereas if you choose "All" and scroll until you find the one for the Americas, you get this PDS from 2019:

Which I already explained earlier.
If you go on US web site, it will prompt you to 2019. If you choose US region, it might prompt you to another repository.
But if you do fallowing:
1. Choose Castrol Edge 0W40
2. Choose PDS
You get 2019.

However, Castrol also on their web site does not have LL01, unlike Ravenol. At least they could fix that, if they want.

If you go on US web site, it will prompt you to 2019. If you choose US region, it might prompt you to another repository.
But if you do fallowing:
1. Choose Castrol Edge 0W40
2. Choose PDS
You get 2019.

However, Castrol also on their web site does not have LL01, unlike Ravenol. At least they could fix that, if they want.

Agreed, Ravenol should definitely fix it, I'm just pointing out that Castrol's PDS scheme is a bit nutty and allows you to end up with data sheets that span almost a decade depending on region selected, lol. Mobil's, in comparison, seems a lot better as you typically get the "current" PDS regardless, even if you use their PDS search tool, which, for Castrol, will give you the above noted results.

I'd posit the Ravenol US website is out of date and the German one, where the product is only "recommended for" LL-01 is current. Be interesting to find out why all these 0w-40's are not LL-01 anymore though....

Agreed, Ravenol should definitely fix it, I'm just pointing out that Castrol's PDS scheme is a bit nutty and allows you to end up with data sheets that span almost a decade depending on region selected, lol. Mobil's, in comparison, seems a lot better as you typically get the "current" PDS regardless, even if you use their PDS search tool, which, for Castrol, will give you the above noted results.

I'd posit the Ravenol US website is out of date and the German one, where the product is only "recommended for" LL-01 is current. Be interesting to find out why all these 0w-40's are not LL-01 anymore though....
Mobil1 was always most transparent IMO.

Back