Range Rover 5.0 oil & BG MOA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
First time, long time here..

I have general questions and concerns about which oil (s) are best to use for the way I use them. I have a 2011 Range Rover with their 5.0 in it and since 45k it's been getting Castrol Pro 5w20 with BG MOA from the dealership before I bought it at 92k miles, where it had Mobil 1 5w20 with BG MOA from a local Euro shop. I have used BG MOA in the past and I think it's fine... I mean, I don't really know what it's doing but I know or I think I know the engines do seem quieter with it but hey, is it hurting the engine over time or helping??

As soon as I bought the Rover (about 2 months ago) I swapped the oil out for Amsoil 5w20 SS with NO BG MOA. I like to change my oil every 5k...sometimes 7k, just depends, I don't drive it everyday since I work from home, just short trips to the gym and back and then out and around town on the weekends. I guess my question here would be, Should I just run something like Mobil 1 or Castrol with BG MOA or straight up Amsoil going solo? guessing Amsoil SS W/ BG MOA is overkill since it's such a high grade oil. I think it's more of a mind trick I am playing with myself thinking the MOA keeps the engine more protected and quieter.... I get very OCD about this type of stuff....

What do you all think or have experienced here?

Thanks!

Originally Posted by demarpaint
You can run any of the oils you mentioned solo.

Yeah, I just tend to get a warm fuuzy feeling about BG MOA, haha

Originally Posted by xmreeves

I understand, but in all honesty you don't need it.

I understand, but in all honesty you don't need it.

agreed!

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
So what you're really asking is what lube should you run with BG MOA?

ehhh yes and no.. since the MOA has been used for the last 40k miles, I felt like I should keep using it but maybe that's not even an issue though. The way I see MOA, is it's supercharging whatever oil is being used.

Originally Posted by NormanBuntz
My 2 cents: premium synthetic AND BG MOA is overkill. But it's your money. If anything, with the short tripping keep your interval at 5K.

yup, i'm not worried much about the money, at the very most it's around $90 when using Amsoil SS.. with Mobil 1 and BG MOA, $50. maybe less at times.

yup, i'm not worried much about the money, at the very most it's around $90 when using Amsoil SS.. with Mobil 1 and BG MOA, $50. maybe less at times.

Sounds to me like you answered your question own question.

If money's a factor, then use either M1 or Castrol..both are fine lubes very capable over a 5k mile oci. If money's not a factor, use Amsoil. Whether or not you choose to use MOA with any of those lubes is up to you but just know that none of them need anything extra - for a 5k mile oci....

Last edited:
Amsoil SS is great oil, used without MOA please.
You can equal it by using Mobil1 Annual Protection 5w20 or 0w20 for much cheaper (walmart), & look for a Fram Ultra oil filter to fit there & you've maxed out the potential.
I don't think MOA hurts much. Maybe go half a bottle in the middle of an oil change interval, not at the beginning when the basic oil additives haven't decomposed some yet. .....
I would not use any MOA though. Not needed with good Mobil1 Annual Protection or Amsoil.

Originally Posted by paoester
You can equal it by using Mobil1 Annual Protection 5w20 or 0w20 for much cheaper (walmart), & look for a Fram Ultra oil filter to fit there & you've maxed out the potential.
I don't think MOA hurts much. Maybe go half a bottle in the middle of an oil change interval, not at the beginning when the basic oil additives haven't decomposed some yet. .....
I would not use any MOA though. Not needed with good Mobil1 Annual Protection or Amsoil.

Agreed.. it's just overkill and I don't see how it improves either M1 AP or Amsoil SS, which are both very good lubes in their own right already. But to each his own.. it's (MOA) not gonna hurt anything, i just don't see it helping much for a 5k mile oci

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Originally Posted by paoester

Agreed.. it's just overkill and I don't see how it improves either M1 AP or Amsoil SS, which are both very good lubes in their own right already. But to each his own.. it's (MOA) not gonna hurt anything, i just don't see it helping much for a 5k mile oci

very true, I plan on sticking with Amsoil SS at this point and no MOA . I think my brain was telling me to keep using MOA since it's been used for half the cars life at this point HA.

Originally Posted by kschachn
You could email Amsoil or ExxonMobil and ask them if they think it is necessary or even helpful to add the MOA to their oils.

100% sure they would say NO. haha, even if it did.

Last edited:
Yes it would be no, do you know why?

well for one, they don't make it, and two, that would mean their product does not add enough protection..
smile.gif
I get it haha

Yes it would be no, do you know why?

well for one, they don't make it, and two, that would mean their product does not add enough protection..
smile.gif
I get it haha

not saying I still want to use MOA.

smile.gif
I get it haha

Nah, that's not it at all.

The imagination is a powerful thing.

smile.gif
I get it haha

Nah, that's not it at all.

The imagination is a powerful thing.

lol. My imagination drives me crazy at times.... trust me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back