RAM about to pass Silverado sales

RAM sales continue to soar while Silverado struggles.

https://jalopnik.com/hideous-silverado-only-barely-edges-out-ram-in-sales-1844245396

I have owned Silverados must of my adult life, we were almost Silverado family as far as trucks were concerned. I now own a new RAM, just a year old. While I enjoy the RAMs success, I hate to see the Silverado struggle. Both are fine trucks. In fact, these and Ford, Nissan and Toyota all make fantastic trucks. Price is the deciding factor for me.

BTW I disagree with the writer. I think the Chevy looks just fine.

That's what happens when you come out with one ***** truck. Chevy had been number 2 for decades and now their trucks look like number 2.

Im a 20118 Silverado owner-which I purchased when I saw pictures of the 2019 redesign. I am surprised that the Silverados sales are still strong-some months surpasses the previous years same month sales (pre-COVID). That being said-the RAM is one great looking truck.

Last edited:
I have to agree with the author on his take. The latest Chevy Silverado is the ugliest truck that I've ever seen. What did the design team think of? Run a truck into a wall and make a clay model of the results. The GMC looks much better.

Compared to the 2500 and 3500, the 1500 isn't that bad. It's still horrendous IMO though. I went to look at some, I just couldn't... loved everything else about it though.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by OilReport99
Silverado's exhaust pipe tips are a perfect match for the junkyard forklift blades.

Stolen! Lol

Originally Posted by PowerSurge
Originally Posted by OilReport99
Silverado's exhaust pipe tips are a perfect match for the junkyard forklift blades.

Stolen! Lol

Yeah, lol

Originally Posted by MParr
I have to agree with the author on his take. The latest Chevy Silverado is the ugliest truck that I've ever seen. What did the design team think of? Run a truck into a wall and make a clay model of the results. The GMC looks much better.

Yes, they are ugly. I also don't like the ‘wedge' near the headlights.

Would be a good article if the author would snip out his rude political commentary.

Originally Posted by BigD1
Would be a good article if the author would snip out his rude political commentary.

I went back to see what you are talking about and yeah, totally unnecessary but what do we expect from a ‘journalist'?

The Silverado design is "polarizing" to say the least.

I think one big thing for the Ram is the coil rear suspension. The old "real truck" die-hards will whine about it having coils, but the reality is most people who own pickup trucks drive them every day as commuter vehicles and rarely haul anything in the bed. The added comfort from the ride and a lot of the Ram's features are what sells them. Out of the big 3 the Ram also seems to have the most conservative styling.

I don't mind the look of the Silverado 1500, but the front end on the heavy duty is horrendous.

You have to remember, a lot of people are buying the GMC version, and that is not counted in those sales figures. The Sierra is less ugly than the silverado. I'l keep my 2016 thanks.

I have heard of too many quality problems with FCA products combined with a habit of not having good OEM parts availability after a few years. For a 3-4 year truck I would go for it, but I keep mine for 15 years or more (lord willing).

Last edited:
I think they are both great trucks. My nephew just bought the heavy duty Chevy in red. It looks [censored], in person. It drives even better, with the Duramax and the new version of the Allison transmission.

If I were buying a half ton, I'd probably go Ram just for the 12 inch Uconnect system. The coil springs and active NVH dampeners are gravy.

My 2018 Jeep JL Wrangler has been trouble free for the first 2.5 years and 33k miles. FCA is good to go, as far as I'm concerned. And mine was a very early production example of a brand new model, which is supposed to be a recipe for disaster. It's been quite the opposite. Best Jeep I've ever owned.

Originally Posted by PowerSurge
Originally Posted by BigD1

I went back to see what you are talking about and yeah, totally unnecessary but what do we expect from a ‘journalist'?

Article seemed accurate to me.

Originally Posted by IndyFan
I think they are both great trucks. My nephew just bought the heavy duty Chevy in red. It looks [censored], in person. It drives even better, with the Duramax and the new version of the Allison transmission.

If I were buying a half ton, I'd probably go Ram just for the 12 inch Uconnect system. The coil springs and active NVH dampeners are gravy.

My 2018 Jeep JL Wrangler has been trouble free for the first 2.5 years and 33k miles. FCA is good to go, as far as I'm concerned. And mine was a very early production example of a brand new model, which is supposed to be a recipe for disaster. It's been quite the opposite. Best Jeep I've ever owned.

I'm with you, I'd have a tough time deciding between the GM twins or RAM if I was in the market. Can't go wrong with either and both are really sharp.

Back