Ram 6.4 liter Hemi

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw this Ram 3/4 ton in Calgary last night. It was no pavement queen, and had a full-on headache rack and a box full of equipment. I wondered what oil Ram is advising for it. Here it is from the owners manual.

Ram 6.4 liter engine.PNG

8DAFD75B-2D35-4FF5-8596-11DE33618534.jpeg

Last edited:
That makes on heck of a winter oil in my R1200GS motorcycle too. Cranks up like it is summer, and ride it right off no warm up. 20W50 feels sluggish for the first 1/2 mile. But when summer hits it gets very noisy. Better than T6

Rod

Last edited:
Personally, I don't think this oil is anything special or somehow better than M1 0W-40 or Edge 0W-40. Most likely FCA just cut a deal with SOPUS, so that this SRT oil is the only one that carries the MS-12633 spec. There are other oils that claim that they're recommended for this application, but I'm not sure if there are any other oils that are officially certified by FCA. Or are there?

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Personally, I don't think this oil is anything special or somehow better than M1 0W-40 or Edge 0W-40. Most likely FCA just cut a deal with SOPUS, so that this SRT oil is the only one that carries the MS-12633 spec.

Yup, and I recall from the previous PDS before they changed the style that the Noack was a fair bit higher than those offerings.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Yup, and I recall from the previous PDS before they changed the style that the Noack was a fair bit higher than those offerings.

Yeah, 13%, according to previous PDS vs 8.5% for the Ravenol which you're using.

Yeah, 13%, according to previous PDS vs 8.5% for the Ravenol which you're using.

Exactly.

Personally, I don't think this oil is anything special or somehow better than M1 0W-40 or Edge 0W-40. Most likely FCA just cut a deal with SOPUS, so that this SRT oil is the only one that carries the MS-12633 spec.

Agreed; it's a marketing thing to require a certain manufacturer's oil…We are in territory here that there are several oils which have not been tested, or which have not paid for the certification that are completely adequate for the job.

Originally Posted by JLTD

Agreed; it's a marketing thing to require a certain manufacturer's oil…We are in territory here that there are several oils which have not been tested, or which have not paid for the certification that are completely adequate for the job.

Any Euro 0w-40 really. M1 0w-40 WAS the SRT oil prior to the FCA merger.

Right....so was there a wholesale change of the engine internals that required a change to a certain manufacturer's oil? HECK no.

"Meets the specification" USED to mean something. Now, not so much in many instances.

Originally Posted by JLTD

Right....so was there a wholesale change of the engine internals that required a change to a certain manufacturer's oil? HECK no.

"Meets the specification" USED to mean something. Now, not so much in many instances.

Comical, I know. I'd expect there were exactly zero changes in testing between the old SRT oil approval number and the new one post Fiat merger where SOPUS was onboarded.

I have a ram 6.4 Hemi. I use Schaeffer's 0w40 that meets Chrysler spec. Engine sounds good. Love the 6.4 Hemi. This thing is a beast, handles anything I throw at it. Don't miss my old diesel at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back