Ram 1500 Air Filter Replacement

I put the FRAM XGA9401 "exclusively" from Walmart, $19.99. I like the slightly oiled media. Probably doesn't matter for the next 30K miles.

Originally Posted by oldhp
I put the FRAM XGA9401 "exclusively" from Walmart, $19.99. I like the slightly oiled media. Probably doesn't matter for the next 30K miles.

Actually, It mattered for the first 60 miles. For some reason the Hemi didn't "like" the TGA, felt a bit erratic in the firing and even the shifting. Don't know if it's due to poor fitting (lips are too thick?), or any other reason. Stopped at Wally and bought the XGA and it's back to normal now.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I am going to get one for my 2017 Ram!! Thanks for the information. I almost bought an the OEM air filter but I like the oiled media on the Fram.

Last time I was at Walmart I looked at a few of these that weren't sealed, none were oiled that said XG on the filter. One box had some cheaper filter in it. Fram says the TG is oiled but nothing on the XG, not in the pics or description. I'd like to see a picture of an oiled XG or I don't believe it. It is so easy to swap out a TG into an XG box even though the XG boxes have the little seal on them. Then take the XG home at the TG price. Since the forum is very super sensitive about "misinformation" it should be cleared up.

Originally Posted by Farnsworth
Last time I was at Walmart I looked at a few of these that weren't sealed, none were oiled that said XG on the filter. One box had some cheaper filter in it. Fram says the TG is oiled but nothing on the XG, not in the pics or description. I'd like to see a picture of an oiled XG or I don't believe it. It is so easy to swap out a TG into an XG box even though the XG boxes have the little seal on them. Then take the XG home at the TG price. Since the forum is very super sensitive about "misinformation" it should be cleared up.

The XGA4309 is oiled
smile.gif

TG and XG are probably the same, but XG/Ultra seems to be just a Walmart-exclusive version of the TG sold elsewhere.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog

The XGA4309 is oiled
smile.gif

TG and XG are probably the same, but XG/Ultra seems to be just a Walmart-exclusive version of the TG sold elsewhere.

XG is thinner, TG is stiffer. Both are oiled.

The XGA4309 is oiled
smile.gif

I read Fram's site again there is nothing about being oiled on the Ultras, only the TG. It very well could be they are TGs in Ultra boxes people bought. It has to say XG on the filter itself..

https://www.fram.com/parts-search/X...UQBoQA0DiAggCwDMADAJzaIA2tWdDTjC9r7TAukA

The XGA4309 is oiled
smile.gif

I read Fram's site again there is nothing about being oiled on the Ultras, only the TG. It very well could be they are TGs in Ultra boxes people bought. It has to say XG on the filter itself..

https://www.fram.com/parts-search/X...UQBoQA0DiAggCwDMADAJzaIA2tWdDTjC9r7TAukA

I must have had oily hands when I installed it - yes, it said XG on the filter itself.

Originally Posted by kschachn
What does oiled media get you? Better contaminate retention?

I really don't know. I just replaced the filter with an "approved" one.

Back