Rally Raid in USA?

Back in the day there was BAJA racing. Overseas there is DAKAR. Common people brought what they had and ran it. Mostly trucks and VW beetles, some built into Dune Buggies. These days both are just a outrageously expensive events, but wasn't always this way.

Seems like the cheap adventure spirit is pushing humans on the other side of the ocean to bring back cheap rally style racing to common people. Here they take little Twingo and run it 2500 miles in a Dakar style rally raid.

Are there any known events like this in USA? The "Gambler 500" had that spirit, but it was usually just a couple hundred miles, some trail trash cleanup, and bunch of drunk people for a weekend... "HooptieX" is slowly developing into something close to "racing for the common people", but not exactly the same as Rally Raid racing that little Twingos are doing overseas. If anything of that nature rings a bell and takes place on US soil, please drop some info below.

Oh and the Baja 500 still exists. There are many classes. You see on the news and such the trophy trucks, but there are still all kinds of basic classes the hobbyist can participate in. Not supercheap, but can be done.

1715136201056.jpg

Not sure how well it would do now…..I feel like folks are getting away from car related stuff due to the cost of it…..

Not sure how well it would do now…..I feel like folks are getting away from car related stuff due to the cost of it…..
I think its not just the lack of interest but the competition for mind share. For example, I personally have taken 4 europeans fishing for the first time (at different times), and all caught a fish. Not a popular sport in Western Europe at least. What percentage of American's have never been fishing? Less than half likely.

Same with sports - in Europe its Soccer and maybe Hockey depending on Country. How many organized sports do we have? Many more.

So in Europe they have less other things of interest. Here young people have lots of active entertainment options.

It isn't nearly as LONG of a race, but you can't get much cheaper than AutoX. Usually less than $50 entry fee, run pretty much anything that is safe and won't roll over, only real expense to be competitive is tires.

Back