Rain X

Love the stuff. I understand that there are competitors. Do you have any experience with them? Willing to try other products.

Last edited:
I use Duragloss Rain Repel. Cleans the glass and leaves a coating to bead water away all in one. I use it for all the exterior glass. Much easier to see since the water beads right off the glass.

I tried the Aquapel treatment several times when I found it on RockAuto closeout. They were then acquired by Trico. Works well and lasts a long time, four months vs. one from RainX

RainX is easier to apply and much less expensive. I've gone back to it.

Lately...I like Rain-X a bit better and less at the same time.

In the past, Rain-X would last 1-2 weeks longer(about 1 month total) than is does now. However, it would rainbow on the windshield at night in the rain with each wiper pass. It was only something that I could see at night as I drove past each overhead light on the highway. This could be a bit dangerous.

Now, that rainbowing effect is gone(a good thing) but, Rain-X doesn't seem to last nearly as long. I'm not sure if I can even get 2 weeks out of the product.

Just my experience.
smile.gif

RainX application never worked well at my hands. Some claimed that it was because my windshield was sand-blasted. I was suggested Aquapel but decided to try Rain-X washer fluid, no complaints.

I made a comparison test a few years back. The Glass Science gel won if I remember correctly. I've had decent luck with some spray in a green can, I'll look when I get home. It has an odd sweet/ chemical smell unlike any other rain repellent. It says it can be applied in all weather, which I've done when caught in a rainstorm.

The rain x windshield washer fluid has caused more than 1 of my washer sensors to go bad and say it is low all the time. Was told the rain x fluid does something to these sensors which correlates to my issues. Relatively minor but if you try to sell the car some people correlate this to a check engine light.

I've been using it for a few years, applying it in the fall and spring. I use a scrub pad and Gunk window cleaner before hand. Works good enough for me unless Project Farm comes up with something better.
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
I've been using it for a few years, applying it in the fall and spring. I use a scrub pad and Gunk window cleaner before hand. Works good enough for me unless Project Farm comes up with something better.
laugh.gif

I dont think RainX will run in a lawnmower ...‚

Aquapel is what I like, but it can be hard to find, don't have any left so I'm forced to use Rainx.

Aquapel lasts several months longer than Rainx.

Ive heard aquapel works better... never tried. I used rain-x years ago but always got wiper chatter. So I've never used it since.

I like PIAA wipers because they can leave a bit of silicone behind, and it beads and disperses water.

Living in a rainy region I have found that the best route for clear driving is good windshield wash fluid and good wipers. Anything else just adds to the problem or presents new issues.

I tried RainX once. That was enough.

I watched a youtube video where they compared Aquapel & Rain-X side-by-side.

The R-X started out better, allowing rain to roll up the glass much more quickly. But then lost its mojo way sooner.

However, the way the AQp started out, it remained that way for a much longer time, like a few month's and still beading up the droplets. Where the R-X hadn't been working at all any longer.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JHZR2
Ive heard aquapel works better... never tried. I used rain-x years ago but always got wiper chatter.

I always keep the R-X liquid off of my wiper blades and never allow the blades to touch the wet product while I apply the R-X to the glass. Once R-X has dried & wiped clean, then it's fine. But R-X on wiper blades causes the blades to chatter/ hop. It's as though R-X has dried out the rubber...just sayin'.

Yes, Aquapel works better but it is hard to find and very $$$. What works best for me is a very clean WS followed by claying (Nanoskin) and then waxing with Collonite 845. Fast, easy,cheap, and longer lasting. Doesn't gum up or streak and I already have the components.

Last edited:
I really don't know how long Rain X lasts because the water never stops beading on my Accord glass. Maybe a factory applied coating?

Aquapel, Sil-blades wipers and the Rain-X washer fluid seem to be the best combo for me. Rain-x just doesn't last had to keep on top of it.
have heard good things about the Griot's Glass Sealant but have yet to try it.

Originally Posted by spk2000
The rain x windshield washer fluid has caused more than 1 of my washer sensors to go bad and say it is low all the time. Was told the rain x fluid does something to these sensors which correlates to my issues. Relatively minor but if you try to sell the car some people correlate this to a check engine light.

Yep, same thing happened to me. It essentially formed a film layer/gunk on the sensor. Usually cleaning it off is enough to make it work again.

Back