Radiator Life / When to replace

Status
Not open for further replies.
Residue? Are they plastic tanks? Does it look like a leak? How much is a radiator? Is this a cheap job?

I did the radiator on my '99 Camry, but it was like $100, plus a few bucks for coolant. But I what looked like a crack that was weeping--I routinely drive a hundred miles from home, so there wasn't much though about replacing.

Originally Posted by Bebop367
Wife makes 300 mile road trips pretty often now days is what concerns me.
If I knew I could get a radiator with as good of quality as the original I would change it.

Replies of radiators with lots of miles and years on original radiators is good to hear.

You do have a legitimate concern with your wife making long road trips. As far as maintaining quality, just replace with Toyota OEM. I was shocked at how inexpensive my son's OEM radiator was on his Lexus. I think it was around $200.

There so much aftermarket junk out there and it seems to be getting worse.

Originally Posted by bubbatime
My mother in law came bragging that she just replaced her radiator. "What did you just say?", I said. Again, she told me that she paid a shop $1000 to change her radiator. Was it leaking, I asked? "No." She said. The shop said it was a good idea to change it, because it would surely leak soon and leave her stranded. I just shook my head. She went in for a $30 oil change and came out with a new radiator.

Don't replace something that isn't broke.

Sounds like my wife when I first met her 20+ years ago. Local Firestone place took her for at least $700+ on premature replacement nonsense every time she took it in for a oil change. I stopped that right quick.

"There so much aftermarket junk out there and it seems to be getting worse."
You can say that again!

I wish it was as simple as you get what you pay for....but I not sure that always the case......

"There so much aftermarket junk out there and it seems to be getting worse."

LOL

Originally Posted by bubbatime
My mother in law came bragging that she just replaced her radiator. "What did you just say?", I said. Again, she told me that she paid a shop $1000 to change her radiator. Was it leaking, I asked? "No." She said. The shop said it was a good idea to change it, because it would surely leak soon and leave her stranded. I just shook my head. She went in for a $30 oil change and came out with a new radiator.

Don't replace something that isn't broke.

What kind of car? I have never had a $1k radiator job come in here.

I replace radiators when they leak. I've made it to about 250K on the old car, OE Denso but first generation plastic tank design. Oddly enough, the core was brass. The other cars in the family with high mileage still have the OEM radiators and they will stay that way as long as I can.

Originally Posted by MNgopher
When it leaks? Not a consumable part in the traditional sense..

It is a consumable part on a lot of Toyota's. They are famous for cracking across the top. On other cars if you keep them long enough you will still need to replace it because plastic is a poor choice of material to use in a radiator.

Change if leaking or if an older vehicle, before a long trip where getting stranded and at the mercy of a tow truck and other accommodations would cost more than the new radiator + your best guess at the value of the remaining life left in the old one. Without a crystal ball that really will be a guess but you can make a more educated one based on age, scale inside, whether it had timely coolant changes. Of course the total cost of the new radiator depends on whether you DIY. It makes less sense to wait if you can throw a new one in for under $200, all-in.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Bebop367

White residue along tank seams. Been there years with no change.
At 15 years old should I replace it?
If I replace what brand?

Its caused by silicate minerals contained in some sorts of coolant. It forms a thin protective film that was supposed to protect the metal from corrosion.

If you have an modern engine there should be no need for coolant containing silicate. Modern coolants are usually based on organic acid technology (OAT) and require less frequent changing, they also don't work via mineral buildup.

However don't be too scared that this buildup may cause problems.
My Mitsubishi has that very same white buildup in the cooling system after 32 years on the road.
However, it's still on it's original radiator, coolant hoses, water-choke and runs perfectly fine even at temps above 100F...

So I wouldn't mess with it as long as there are no overheating or coolant consumption issues...

Keep changing your antifreeze regularly and don't worry! ;-)

But be careful when switching coolant types, some sorts should not be mixed due to chemical reactions that could cause it to gel up.
Then, a complete flush should be performed prior to switching.

Last edited:
If it was a German car I would say expect to replace it soon.
A well maintained Japanese or Americana car radiator can last a long time

2000 S2000 188k original cooling system. 1998 BMW 328i radiator leak, blew head gasket at 130k. Replaced head, radiator, waterpump, hoses, tank. 178k miles now. I would agree with the German replacement recommendation.

Look inside of the radiator and see if there is any build up on the passages. Look at the seams at the tanks for seepage. If you need one replace with a denso or koyo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back