R12 Refrigeration oil for 1990 Infiniti Q45

I'm going to replace the evaporator in my Q45. I still have a decent stash of R12 on hand, so I'll be using that. The sticker under the hood specifies Suniso 5GS Refrigeration oil. This stuff has been difficult to find, but I think this might be a decent replacement. https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...ray-climate-control-mineral-oil/59000/4521683

Does anyone know if all 500 viscosity mineral oils are similar? I can't find a good spec sheet for the O'Reilly stuff, but I have a good one for the Suniso 5GS.

I also have this can of stuff on hand, but I'm not sure about using it, since I'm planning on draining the compressor and replacing the oil I get out of it.

gMtXEyb.jpg

eVsaHc9.jpg

Suniso 5GS_PDS_0620171.png

R12 will work with any oil-alkybenzene, PAG, POE, or mineral; but, mineral is what it normally calls for. Why not measure what you drain out of the compressor & add 2 ounces less (while using the can of R12 & oil? Refrigeration supply houses should carry the Suniso 5GS, I still have a half gallon of 3GS floating around somewhere (the oil for low temperature R502 & R12 usage).

R-12 will destroy PAG oils - the chlorine element will decompose the oil. ISO 100 ester works. All the automotive HVAC suppliers recommended similar mineral oils. Supply houses carry Suniso 5GS for R22 service I think.

If there’s still a charge of R-12 in your car, there’s still oil but you’re replacing a part which calls for oil addition. I’d drain the compressor to see how much comes out. There’s a label that states the total refrigerant and lubricant charges. Japanese cars call for 40-160cc of oil. Nissan and Toyota IIRC say if the condenser or evap are replaced, add 30cc of oil, if the dryer is replaced add 50cc of oil and if the compressor is replaced attempt to measure what’s in the compressor and use that to drain out the difference from the new one.

Last edited:
R12 is prolly the COLDEST refrigerant ever BUT rare + costly since it was replaced by lesser environmentally friendlier versions
For R-12, I side tap a can of Dust-Off R152A
unless in the instance actual R12 is around.

You can also use this but again, side tap can with an adapter for the smaller can

I have 2 cans I may never use, my last R12 car i got rid of two years ago and my classic car is the first year of R134a, 1992 seems to be the last year of R12.

Back