Quick Mac mini Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure where the idea of privacy with apple comes from. Did you read apples privacy policy? They track cookies, browsing activity keystrokes and they always include "We may" and "The following are some examples of..".
So they obviously track more than they list.

What provicay with apple are we talking about here?

Originally Posted by KrisZ
I'm not sure where the idea of privacy with apple comes from. Did you read apples privacy policy? They track cookies, browsing activity keystrokes and they always include "We may" and "The following are some examples of..".

Here you go =
https://www.apple.com/privacy/

This will be the last word from me on this, some sheep can walk into the path of a wolf and not know it. (not directed at you)
Most people are unable to disseminate and analyze information with rational outcomes so they will debate.

Apple is the world standard vs Google and Microsoft operating system standards regarding privacy. Google the worst, Microsoft right behind google. Apple is the best, in fact that is their company philosophy.

AS far as the "cream or the crop" I guess that would be Linux for those who want to "go there". I know nothing about Linux and have no time to figure it out. Furthermore, not sure I would be able to trust that I would properly update Linux for any security issues that may arrive.

I use Apple for the integration with what I want to do and the company philosophy that privacy is a "fundamental human right" and they do everything they can to protect you. Gosh, I hope the young people are being taught, that is one of the things the USA stands for, as well as individual liberty.

If you dont believe it, I cant help you. :eek:)
... nor can I educate anyone, they would need to be driven to examine/research the operating systems and company philosophy of Google, Microsoft and Apple and come to their own conclusion. I already know I am right.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by alarmguy

Here you go =
https://www.apple.com/privacy/

This will be the last word from me on this, some sheep can walk into the path of a wolf and not know it. (not directed at you)
Most people are unable to disseminate and analyze information with rational outcomes so they will debate.

Apple is the world standard vs Google and Microsoft operating system standards regarding privacy. Google the worst, Microsoft right behind google. Apple is the best, in fact that is their company philosophy.

AS far as the "cream or the crop" I guess that would be Linux for those who want to "go there". I know nothing about Linux and have no time to figure it out. Furthermore, not sure I would be able to trust that I would properly update Linux for any security issues that may arrive.

I use Apple for the integration with what I want to do and the company philosophy that privacy is a "fundamental human right" and they do everything they can to protect you. Gosh, I hope the young people are being taught, that is one of the things the USA stands for, as well as individual liberty.

If you dont believe it, I cant help you. :eek:)
... nor can I educate anyone, they would need to be driven to examine/research the operating systems and company philosophy of Google, Microsoft and Apple and come to their own conclusion. I already know I am right.

It does suck that we need to choose between privacy (the walled garden of Apple) and a reasonable/fair price and the right to repair our own stuff. In my opinion, both are wrong and we have to choose which is most important to us.

The way I see it both of us don't want to admit how bad each of our chosen platforms is when it comes to their downfalls.

Btw, I installed Linux (latest Ubuntu) on my 10 year old laptop a few weeks ago as dual boot. I'm not an expert, just followed some YouTube guides go get it working. Everything is working well on it and straight forward. It reminds me of Mac os visually. It already wants to do an update which I paused because I was in the middle of watching some videos. The fact that we have Linux as a backup for old equipment is great. I also did a bunch of research on turning my one pc into a hackintosh, but it sounds like the reliability isn't as good as Linux, as an update can break it at anytime.

The link you provided to apple policy is just highlights of the good things apple does with regards to data. From your post it seems you base your opinion on these highlights. Not sure if you read the actual policy. Or if you read it, for some reason it doesn't register with you that apple collects just as much info as Google.

The difference is that apple doesn't sell all that info for advertising revenue.

So it appears that corporate double speak worked on you quite well.

Here are some examples from their actual privacy policy:

Collection and Use of Personal Information

Personal information is data that can be used to identify or contact a single person.

You may be asked to provide your personal information anytime you are in contact with Apple or an Apple affiliated company. Apple and its affiliates may share this personal information with each other and use it consistent with this Privacy Policy. They may also combine it with other information to provide and improve our products, services, content, and advertising. You are not required to provide the personal information that we have requested, but, if you chose not to do so, in many cases we will not be able to provide you with our products or services or respond to any queries you may have.

Here are some examples of the types of personal information Apple may collect and how we may use it:
When you create an Apple ID, apply for commercial credit, purchase a product, download a software update, register for a class at an Apple Retail Store, connect to our services, contact us including by social media or participate in an online survey, we may collect a variety of information, including your name, mailing address, phone number, email address, contact preferences, device identifiers, IP address, location information, credit card information and profile information where the contact is via social media.

Last edited:
The link you provided to apple policy is just highlights of the good things apple does with regards to data. From your post it seems you base your opinion on these highlights. Not sure if you read the actual policy. Or if you read it, for some reason it doesn't register with you that apple collects just as much info as Google.

The difference is that apple doesn't sell all that info for advertising revenue.

Personal information is data that can be used to identify or contact a single person.

You may be asked to provide your personal information anytime you are in contact with Apple or an Apple affiliated company. Apple and its affiliates may share this personal information with each other and use it consistent with this Privacy Policy. They may also combine it with other information to provide and improve our products, services, content, and advertising. You are not required to provide the personal information that we have requested, but, if you chose not to do so, in many cases we will not be able to provide you with our products or services or respond to any queries you may have.

Here are some examples of the types of personal information Apple may collect and how we may use it:
When you create an Apple ID, apply for commercial credit, purchase a product, download a software update, register for a class at an Apple Retail Store, connect to our services, contact us including by social media or participate in an online survey, we may collect a variety of information, including your name, mailing address, phone number, email address, contact preferences, device identifiers, IP address, location information, credit card information and profile information where the contact is via social media.

Not even close, read the full google and Apple disclosures, nothing more that I can add.

Not even close, read the full google and Apple disclosures, nothing more that I can add.

So you've obviously spent way more time reading start to finish both disclosures but you wouldn't even watch the video from the reputable repair guy I posted for you who was on the news because of apples shady repair practices ripping people off in their "genius" bar? I don't think anything would change your mind either way. That's fine. It's your money to spend and your devices that may not be repairable.

^^ yeah, I dont get the point of your posts trying to discredit Apple computers using a post from a guy making a YouTube video.
Think about that.

and .. .your right, its my money, no different then If I bought a brand car you didnt like or washing machine. *L* [censored], I can find a bad youtube post on anything.

Your posts have nothing to do with my posts regarding privacy and Apple making it more easy for me to control it, as well as their operating philosophy.

Last edited:
This has been an interesting thread. I use Debian Linux and Firefox browser. Firefox extensions are Ublock Origin and Cookie Bro. My default search engine is Duck Duck Go. I don't have a Facebook account.

It's not that hard to use Linux, as far as the updates I get a small taskbar notification when one becomes available. I click the notification, enter a password and it is updated. The update typically takes less than 20 seconds and I don't have to restart.

Does anyone remember phone books? Everyone had their name and address printed and distributed throughout the community for all to see. You could pay and get a "private listing". I don't know what that entailed, we never got the private listing when I was a child. The phone company sold advertisements in the yellow pages part of the book, that was how they made profit on the book.

Stop for a moment and think of all the different entities that "track" you. Drivers license, car tags, social security numbers, store loyalty cards. Cameras on every street and building. Facial recognition that is astounding.

Look at the information available here on BITOG. Click on a members username and find all their posts and you can learn enough to make Google envious.

The point is, privacy is an illusion and has been since before the internet came into being. And people voluntarily giving their information is how the bulk of the info gets out.

"The point is, privacy is an illusion and has been since before the internet came into being. "
1. I do not agree, people do not have to share their data with the major internet players, their local ISP, Google etc.
So maybe you are right, it is an illusion to those that do nothing about it.

"And people voluntarily giving their information is how the bulk of the info gets out."
2. I DO agree, they rather give it up then pay for applications and information.

3. Yes, it seems for the adventurists, Linux is the way to go. I have thought about it many times, god, I got 4 decent well equipped PC's neatly sitting literally a few feet from me doing nothing/disconnected, just waiting for me to verify I have all the family photos off before I throw them out. Just about ANY of them would most likely make a good Linux computer, more so a recent almost unused Dell optiplex that my wifes company told her she could have as they didnt need it and they knew I was into computers.

Anyway, everything is about time and although I like the idea of toying around with it, there are other things I rather do until the day comes that I have too much time on my hands. *L*

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back