Question RE: S3K Amsoil 5W-30 HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am curious...will the S3K 5W-30 HDD work in my truck (a 6.0 PSD) in the hot, South Texas summer also? I know when it's cold that it will, but was curious about when it heats up outside. I want an oil that I can run year round.

Tony's Amsoil UOA showed great wear considering he was pulling a travel trailer for most of the 8000 miles.
How much coolant temperature difference is there between 40°F ambient and say 80°F ambient?Does the motor know how hot the air is once it's at operating temperatures?I'd like to see oil temperatures reported for different ambient temperatures.
cheers.gif

As others have noted, ambient temperature is important at startup. When the engine is operated at normal temperature ambient temperature is generally less significant. The S 3K 5W-30 is rated near the top of 30 weight at 100 degrees C, (almost 40 weight, SAE): Kinematic Viscosity @ 100C cSt (ASTM D-445) = 11.5. The Kinematic Viscosity @ 40C cSt is 63.8, near the top of 20 Weight (SAE). When you have a UOA, more can be known about your particular engine.

I'm going to put the S3K 5W-30 in my engine and pull a sample at 5K miles and see what I think. I'm also running a TP bypass filter on my truck so I'm hoping to only drain twice a year.

I would switch to an Amsoil bypass filter and change your oil and filter yearly or longer. ,anaylize oil at maximum oil change intervals to see how the oil holds up. Use the tp filter for some thing not on $7.00 per qt. oil. But then the heavy duty engine oils now days are incredable unless you are in a freezing climate,, Ps.with the bypass filter setup are you sure your oil needs to be changed as planned?

quote:

Originally posted by Steve S:
I would switch to an Amsoil bypass filter and change your oil and filter yearly or longer. ,anaylize oil at maximum oil change intervals to see how the oil holds up. Use the tp filter for some thing not on $7.00 per qt. oil. But then the heavy duty engine oils now days are incredable unless you are in a freezing climate,, Ps.with the bypass filter setup are you sure your oil needs to be changed as planned?

Maybe not, I plan on taking a sample at 5K miles just to ensure that my 6.0L isn't shearing the oil down (the 6.0L PSD is notorious for it's shearing ability) and I will resample at 6 months and then again at a year. If I can still go on from there w/o changing I will.

Keep in mind, when I take samples I WILL NOT change the oil just draw a sample only.

look up the diesel site uoa listings they might give you an idea on how the oils hold up. 59 vetteman has the links posted in the diesel section "if you haven't looked at them yet.

Yes the Series 3000 will have better high temp protection than a conventional 15w40.

Now I don't know if it will be very cost effective you will have to see how long your drain interval is and how much makeup oil you use changing out the TP filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back