Question for body shop members

AZjeff

$50 Site Donor 2023
The 2002 Wrangler I got a few months ago has these cracks all over the hood. Someone called them crow’s feet. The paint cracked and the edges are curled up a bit but the primer is good there’s no rust. Question is if I sand the paint smooth would a wrap be okay? I was told to repaint all of the black paint would have to be sanded off. Not sure which would be better. Wrap would cost less.

Attachments

• IMG_1886.jpeg
    IMG_1886.jpeg
    223.4 KB · Views: 38
How long will you keep the Jeep? Wraps don’t last that long in the sun before they turn brown. Few years.

To repair this you need to get it down to the primer or metal, it is easier with the hood removed. A wrap will not tolerate extreme heat very long, a lot of black paints fail under these conditions also. I remember years ago when we used mostly enamels and lacquers you never cleared the black, the other colors were fine but not the black.
Today it is not a big problem but some paints hold up better than others, I usually Axalta (Dupont) paints and clears but for you conditions PPG base coat and clear seems to hold up better (i got this info from a friend in the middle east where paint issues due to heat is the norm).
If you want the blackest black on the market DBU9700 base with DCU2002 clear hold up well.

Thanks. More info: the Jeep stays in the garage unless in use so a wrap will last longer. I talked with a local wrap guy on the phone and he said the same, 5-6 years outside, 10 or more garage kept. Didn't take the Jeep for him to look at yet. Where I live isn't blast furnace hot like Phoenix, while Nick has been having over 110 for more than a month with the occasional 119, we've been in the low 90s with a couple of 100 days. It's clear this Jeep lived outside either facing south or west by the way the paint is sunburned.

It's disappointing that the paint industry hasn't developed a finish for searing hot climes.
Even if they came up with just one or two heat resistant colors......

There was a medium red Oldsmobile Toronado (among the very last and ugliest) in our town, the paint on which faded to a pink chalk.
...and we flew to the Moon 54 years ago.

Back