Quality wheels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for a list of aftermarket wheel brands that are high quality, particularly for trucks.
I read one list that included American Racing in the top 10, but they don't have a ton of offerings for trucks. Most of the others I saw listed were more in line with the tuner crowd.

Ive bought wheels like ICW Racing, Ultra, and GEAR etc. and they look nice for a few years, but long term they just don't hold up.

What brands can I look for that I could buy and enjoy for, say, 10 years? A one and done type of deal.

Opinions?

I am going to provide an alternate suggestions.

Buy OEM wheels, especially for a truck used for hauling, towing.

High end OEM wheels like King Ranch are super cheap, as they are being pulled for aftermarket wheels.

Just my .02

What is wrong with the OEM wheels? What kind of truck? American Force wheels are forged but expensive. I'd say OEM is your best bet.

Originally Posted by meborder
Ive bought wheels like ICW Racing, Ultra, and GEAR etc. and they look nice for a few years, but long term they just don't hold up.

Do you wash them every week and wax them every month or two like they say you should?

If Alcoa makes wheels for your truck and you have the 💵for them, I'd look at them. Still made in the US. Otherwise, you're looking at an aftermarket forged wheel. Most aftermarket wheels are Chinese and cast, which means heavy and from what I've seen from city driving and accidents, brittle and prone to fail hitting a pothole or in a crash.

I think Center Line still makes a forged truck wheel.

Otherwise, you might have to put up with a steel Accuride wheel.

they are out there but $$$$, OE is ok but $$$$ to replace one + are built to a price point, so its who much are you willing to spend $$$$

Originally Posted by RhondaHonda
What is wrong with the OEM wheels? What kind of truck? American Force wheels are forged but expensive. I'd say OEM is your best bet.

Nothing wrong with the OEM wheels, I just need another set for summer tires. My plan was to keep my winter tires on the OEM wheels for winter and find something else for summer.

If I could find a clean set of OEM on eBay or craigslist for reasonable, I would be fine with that. But the prices for take offs are the same or more than aftermarket.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by meborder

Do you wash them every week and wax them every month or two like they say you should?

Of course not. That's why I'm asking about something more durable.

This is for an expedition. Hauls my family and my car trailer, occasional horse trailer, and my camper.

Just looking for quality brands. If I'm going to spend the money I might has well have something that looks nice is my thought.

I'm looking at doing the same thing. Purchasing new wheels for summer and using my OEM wheels in the winter with a snow tire. I'm looking at www.oewheelsllc.com to buy a set of newer OEM looking wheels. These are OEM replicas, but I've heard great reviews about them from folks I work with, and online.

How about a set of OEM takes offs from a late model truck, some of the new offerings have fancy looking wheels these days.

Originally Posted by RonRonnster
I'm looking at doing the same thing. Purchasing new wheels for summer and using my OEM wheels in the winter with a snow tire. I'm looking at www.oewheelsllc.com to buy a set of newer OEM looking wheels. These are OEM replicas, but I've heard great reviews about them from folks I work with, and online.
? The whole point of OEM wheels is that they are a good value because they are better quality than aftermarket because of economy of scale and actually needing to last more than a few seasons.

US Mags is made in USA and have truck wheels.

Here is another vote for OEM wheels. Find a good set of used wheels on your local online classifieds. I've bought a couple sets of OEM wheels this way, and gotten very good prices.

Before buying a set of wheels to mount winter tires on for my Outback, I looked a lot at aftermarket wheels. Very few impressed me. Most looked cheap, and well, like they belonged on a Japanese car that had been tricked out by a twenty-something kid. And the wheels that were nice looking and well built were well out of my budget. That's what lead me to start looking for used OEM wheels. That proved to be the right decision.

I haven't checked Craigslist in a long time. Facebook Marketplace is where I've done deals recently and been happy. Plus you get to see who you're dealing with before you do the deal, usually, by looking at their profile. Another vote OEM also

Originally Posted by Aero540T
I haven't checked Craigslist in a long time. Facebook Marketplace is where I've done deals recently and been happy. Plus you get to see who you're dealing with before you do the deal, usually, by looking at their profile. Another vote OEM also

I've done decent on CL for used wheels, it has been a while but in my case all the sets came with tires. Two sets were with good tires that I run (they sold their cars and needed to get rid of their winter sets) and two came with shot rubber. I think those guys didn't want to pay for tire disposal fees; to me, $5 to throw away tires is cheap--I was only buying for the rims, and only if the price was right.

Another vote for OEM wheels. If you aren't doing this to change appearance, oem takeoffs will provide the best long term durability. Yes, more than cheap aftermarket wheels, but that's what you are getting - cheap.

I hunted for 3 months for my takeoffs. Everything that sat on craigslist was overpriced. Wheels priced lower lasted a day tops. When I saw what I wanted at the right price, I pounced.

Another vote for OEM.

I'd love to get my hands on a set of HRE wheels... but at $1,200-$2,400+ PER WHEEL, that will likely never happen
shocked2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back