Quality filter for 2017 Subaru 2.5 Ltr

Messages
3
Location
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Thread starter
Lots of great reading here. I am now doing the oil changes on our 2017 Subaru Outback 2.5Ltr. I live in central Oklahoma with trips to Colorado from time to time. No off roading, no towing and a mix of town and highway driving. I run Top Tier fuel from Shell, Phillips 66, Valero, Conoco. Mostly Shell. Never any alcohol blends. For oil I am using Mobil 1 0-20W Synthetic Advanced Fuel Economy. Installed a EZ Oil Drain Valve. I installed a Wix oil filter but it was a bit smaller than original. What would be a quality oil filter for my application? Thank you.
 
Messages
3,279
Location
On another site
Ishmael, first of all welcome. There are lots of Subaru members on here, they should be by shortly....but from what I know, the OEM filters are a good choice for Subaru. Filter choice can depend on what interval you plan to change the filter. Every oil change, or do you plan to let it go awhile?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Messages
3,075
Location
Parts Unknown
Subaru requires filters of higher bypass pressure, many of the aftermarket filters don't meet this requirement (usually a lower bypass pressure)
 
Messages
500
Location
Saint Nazianz, WI
If you care about the bypass rating use Wix or Napa filters or just stick with the Subaru OEM oil filter. If you don't care about the bypass rating use Fram Ultra XG7317 or Fram Tough Guard TG7317. Any of the above will work fine.
 
Messages
1,038
Location
Ontario, Canada
What's wrong with the OEM? But id you're really bent on getting something else Mobil makes a good fleece which I've used on my wife's outback for many many years, but's it not as cheap as the others.
 
Last edited:
Messages
14,132
Location
Central NY
I have used Fram Tough Guard, Napa Gold and the OEM style filter on my '18 2.5 ... None really make any difference. I was going to use a Supertech filter on it, but the filter they have listed for my '18 is significantly smaller than the factory filter. So I'll pass on that.
 
Messages
807
Location
AR
I like OEM the best usually in anything that is the slightest bit different spec wise - as this bypass PSI.
 
Messages
24,626
Location
Upstate NY
Originally Posted by Ishmael
Lots of great reading here. I am now doing the oil changes on our 2017 Subaru Outback 2.5Ltr. I live in central Oklahoma with trips to Colorado from time to time. No off roading, no towing and a mix of town and highway driving. I run Top Tier fuel from Shell, Phillips 66, Valero, Conoco. Mostly Shell. Never any alcohol blends. For oil I am using Mobil 1 0-20W Synthetic Advanced Fuel Economy. Installed a EZ Oil Drain Valve. I installed a Wix oil filter but it was a bit smaller than original. What would be a quality oil filter for my application? Thank you.
Buy the Subaru OEM blue filters on Amazon by the 5 or 6 pack. Good price, good filter. I got some NAPA Platinum filters on a super sale but when they are gone, back to the Subaru blue filters.
 
Messages
3
Location
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Thread starter
Can't believe I included everything but my oil change interval. I will probably do it at 6K unless we have been doing a lot of highway then I will go to 7.5K. The concern is condensation contamination with frequent short trips in cooler weather. Did not know about by pass requirements, and am not really sure what is meant by that. Thanks for the replies. Best wishes, Ishmael (That's what you can call me)
 
Messages
24,196
Location
PNW
Originally Posted by Ishmael
Did not know about by pass requirements, and am not really sure what is meant by that.
The filter bypass valve is a valve that opens up when the pressure difference across the filter is greater than the bypass valve setting. When the bypass valve opens, unfiltered oil "bypasses" the filter media. The bypass valve protects the filter media from potential damage caused by a high pressure difference across the media. Another purpose of the bypass valve is to ensure the engine still gets oil flow if the filter becomes too clogged up with debris and becomes too flow restrictive.
 
Messages
1,411
Location
Western Canada
I'll throw an exotic filter out there ... Tokyo Roki Co., OEM Mazda: P/N N3R1-14-302 . Subarus used to come from the factory with this brand of filter installed ( still do ... not sure ? ) 2010 + Mazda RX-8 oil filter. 20 - 26 psi by-pass ( same as Subaru ), P profile round gasket ( like Subaru OEM ) , same size as stock OEM Subaru blue replacement filter. Very well built, made in Japan, and CHEAP ! Less than $ 10.00 CDN at the dealer. [Linked Image]
 
Last edited:
Messages
129
Location
NY
In the 4 years and 50 thousand I've had my 2.5 Forester I've used Subaru filters, Hastings filters, and Wix filters. Couldn't tell one bit of difference.
 
Messages
1,038
Location
Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by Ishmael
Can't believe I included everything but my oil change interval. I will probably do it at 6K unless we have been doing a lot of highway then I will go to 7.5K. The concern is condensation contamination with frequent short trips in cooler weather. Did not know about by pass requirements, and am not really sure what is meant by that. Thanks for the replies. Best wishes, Ishmael (That's what you can call me)
While under warranty don't play around with OCIs follow to the letter what's in the manual, once out of warranty do as you please.
 
Messages
13
Location
Colorado
If you are under warranty I would stick to the OE filter. Also, ensure you are using an oil that meets the specs in your owner manual. You have Shell ethanol-free in your area? Nice. Not so here.
 
Messages
1,411
Location
Western Canada
Originally Posted by 2dogs
In the 4 years and 50 thousand I've had my 2.5 Forester I've used Subaru filters, Hastings filters, and Wix filters. Couldn't tell one bit of difference.
But your engine could ... maybe. Or not. Seriously, fresh oil and filter are important. The exact brand of oil and filter, not so much ... On my Subaru, I have used Subaru OEM, Mazda OEM, Honda OEM, Fram, K&N, M1, Fram Racing, Napa Gold and Platinum and probably more ... some had the " correct ... " by-pass spec, others didn't. Couldn't tell the difference with any of them. Car now has 100 k miles, and runs like new.
 
Messages
4,218
Location
Parts Unknown
I am using the Subaru blue filter because I can get it from the dealer for less than five dollars and I can get the drain plug gasket for around one dollar..
 
Last edited:
Top