Quaker State HM FS 5W30 D1G3 VOA

So what I hear you saying is that PQIA is all wet and got it wrong?
PQIA uses D2896 TBN testing. Their results are not wrong, they just are not comparable to D4739 results. Read my last post on the differences between the two tests.

In short, D2896 is for testing new oil to compare to other new oils. D2896 is never used for testing used oil.

D4739 is for testing new oil to compare to used oil. You can test used oil to see if the TBN has reached its end of life, or you can test new oil, then follow up with a test of the same oil after it was used to see how the TBN result dropped over the life of the oil.

Blackstone has Valvoline High Mileage Full Synthetic at 6.7 TBN and other VOA's show their extended performance option to be in the 6.5 range.

Supertech High Mileage Full Synthetic 6.1
Castrol Edge High Mileage 6.4
Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage 5.4
Mobil 1 Extended Performance High Mileage 6.9

All of these you can see on this forum, SPEEDiagnostix which is an actual oil analysis company run by someone who has worked in the oil industry and formulated oil for racing teams mentions this.

Very interesting video ! Thanks for sharing

5 qt jug of QS is $18.82. Valvoline is $28.97. I agree that the Valvoline looks better, but that's a pretty big price point difference that makes the QS have a lot more value.
The price remains at $18.82 even today at Walmart. That makes it cheaper than SuperTech High Mileage Full Synthetic 5W-30.
The Quaker State additive package looks really solid with high calcium (detergent), phosphorous/zinc (anit-wear).

I really like the oils in Quaker State's lineup.

Prices on Walmart for the 5 quart jug are:

High Mileage Full Synthetic 5W-30: $18.82.
Full Synthetic Ultimate Protection (marketed as a 20,000 mile oil): 5W-30: $21.62
Full Synthetic Euro ACEA A3/B4 5W-40: $22.97

Any of those 3 could become my strategic go to oil for all of my vehicles. I really like them all.

oxidation is a bit low for a HM oil
It could be using Naphthenic oil as a seal sweller, and that won't increase the oxidation number, even though it sort of belongs to API Group V. Just like some of these more expensive "Energy Conserving" and MoDTC-free or Trimer Moly-free oils use Glycerol monooleate as a friction reducer. That won't show up on a cheap VOA either.

It’s interesting….metals, huh?
Just read about a handful of metals in a Quaker State Euro 5w40 VOA here. A reply inside that thread cited the same thing in his VOA.
Now this one shows up. Our Kia sounded like a sewing machine running QS Euro 5w40 this past summer.

I'm slowly moving to boutique oils, So I'm good just reading about Quaker State Oils and not buying it anymore..

Last edited:
As someone who is a Quaker State fan I would have to say Valvoline Full Synthetic High Mileage seems to have a beefier additive pack for a very similar price at Walmart.

But Quaker State seems to be one of the very few with Dexos certification on their high mileage options.

Possibly some contamination on testing equipment in regards to the wear metals, I don't recall seeing lead on any other QS VOA's but I could be mistaken.
I've been using the VFSHMEP since it came out and the older VFSHM for years before that (even in my new cars) and it has been more than adequate. For the extra few dollars, I'm quite happy with it, but who knows for sure if it is better than QSHM or anything else for that matter. I drive Toyotas mostly and it just seems to do a tad bit better in those engines for me for some reason. Maybe it is all in my head, but they seem a little quieter and to do a hair better on mpg's.

I've been using the VFSHMEP since it came out and the older VFSHM for years before that (even in my new cars) and it has been more than adequate. For the extra few dollars, I'm quite happy with it, but who knows for sure if it is better than QSHM or anything else for that matter. I drive Toyotas mostly and it just seems to do a tad bit better in those engines for me for some reason. Maybe it is all in my head, but they seem a little quieter and to do a hair better on mpg's.
Can't really go wrong with either of them, I experimented with oils a little bit recently, QS, Mobil 1, and Valvoline, all the high mileage versions in 5w30.

My 4.3 Vortec didn't care which oil, typical these engines are never picky.

My 1MZ-FE Toyota on the other hand was quietest with the Valvoline but not by an insane amount, Mobil 1 was slightly louder. The main difference though was with both QS and Valvoline it consumed a little oil, at the end of each 5k interval it was a little less than half a quart low, but with Mobil 1 it didn't consume any real measurable amount.

I have not tried the EP versions of any of these oils though, probably will not. But I have decided to just permanently switch to Mobil 1 Full Synthetic High Mileage going forward even though it costs a few bucks more id rather not deal with any oil consumption issues.

But I do not believe the quieter part is all in your head because I had the same experience.

I think you're looking at an older PDS. I don't see the Dexos1 Gen3 on the one you linked and the document date is from 2020. Not surprising that Quaker State links to the wrong PDF from the product page.

Start on this page:
then search "High Mileage" and finally find the Quaker State High Mileage with the word "Dexos" in the description.

That should lead you to this page with the most current D1G3 PDS:

Just read about a handful of metals in a Quaker State Euro 5w40 VOA here. A reply inside that thread cited the same thing in his VOA.
Now this one shows up. Our Kia sounded like a sewing machine running QS Euro 5w40 this past summer.

I'm slowly moving to boutique oils, So I'm good just reading about Quaker State Oils and not buying it anymore..
Why use a 5w40 euro oil in a Kia?

Back