QSUD and cleaning?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by irv
Originally Posted by buster
What you could do is switch to an oil that is above average at cleaning and for that I would use Mobil 1 0w40. I'd do a few OCI's on that then switch to whatever oil you want.

https://www.mobil.com/English-US/Passenger-Vehicle-Lube/pds/GLXXMobil-1-FS-0W40

"Provides exceptional cleaning power for dirty engines."

Is there any "real proof" that some oils are better than others at cleaning? Some make claims but I don't recall seeing some before and after pics, and even if those existed, are they real, documented, and done by an independent company?

It's not practical to test against every product out there, especially since (competitor) formulas change. What I mostly see is that mfgs base their claims of cleaning against the industry standard sludge test. "X% better..."

Last edited:
Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by benjy
oils with the same SPECS are VERY similar by law except the costly real synthetic PAO + Ester types

By law?

Another lie by benjy. When does it stop?!

The reason why M1 0w40 specifically states exceptional cleaning ability is likely due to the POE/AN base oils in that particular grade. Those two base oils have excellent solvency abilities. It's the same benefit you get from Valvoline Premium Blue Restore which is made up of 50% POE base stock.

To prevent an engine getting dirty to begin with you want base oils that are oxidation resistant - PAO/GTL/III etc., good detergency, dispersants and other sludge fighting additives.

Originally Posted by buster
The reason why M1 0w40 specifically states exceptional cleaning ability is likely due to the POE/AN base oils in that particular grade. Those two base oils have excellent solvency abilities. It's the same benefit you get from Valvoline Premium Blue Restore which is made up of 50% POE base stock.

To prevent an engine getting dirty to begin with you want base oils that are oxidation resistant - PAO/GTL/III etc., good detergency, dispersants and other sludge fighting additives.

Good reminder Buster ... I'll also suggest not running too long of an OCI where the synthetic oil has all the additives used up .

Pennzoil Ultra supposedly has Hyper Cleansing Technology. It's also says it will clean existing sludge and even cleans 35% better than their own Pennzoil Platinum product. From Machinery Lubrication: Noria news wires. March 1st 2019.

Looks like you could just sub Pennzoil Ultra every few OCI's if you really want to ensure a clean engine ... I use 1 once of Seafoam per qrt. of oil in the engine the last 150 miles to 200 miles of an OCI which safely cleans well . I do this about every third oil change .

Originally Posted by madeej11
Pennzoil Ultra supposedly has Hyper Cleansing Technology. It's also says it will clean existing sludge and even cleans 35% better than their own Pennzoil Platinum product. From Machinery Lubrication: Noria news wires. March 1st 2019.

I was hoping to find Pennzoil on sale somewhere but didn't have any luck. I only have one jug of Ultra but I plan on using that in my son's car withing the next month or 2.
Being as QS is a Sopus product, I was hoping to find/read that it cleaned just as well as Pennzoil but like I stated, that info was elusive to me.

I'm sure the QSUD will be fine in there and clean somewhat, but I was really hoping to hear it cleaned really well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back