Put my dog down

Status
Not open for further replies.
I put my 9 year old dog down on Friday. His health was failing and he was in pain. My wife and I adopted him before we were married. We bought our first home to provide him a yard. He sat by our daughters crib and cried every time she cried. He got up and sat with my wife and children for every feeding.

I'm having trouble functioning as an adult due to the immense amount of grief.

How do dog owners subject themselves to this repeatedly? .....

IMG_4448.PNG

IMG_4447.jpg

The love we receive from our dogs is unconditional. A fantastic gift you received lasting nearly a decade. There is a book written a few years ago called "A Dog's Purpose", you need to get it and read it. You will come away with a different perspective not only on your life, but your dogs as well. My sincere condolences. Take care!

always a hard thing to do...I had to put my husky down 8 years ago,,,was hard to do but he wouldn't have made it much longer the vet said...the best thing I did soon after that was get another rescue puppy...sure helped get over things...

Sorry for the loss of your boy, he looked like quite the fellow. Having several leave the past two years, I would have to say the losses are very difficult, but not having one or more in the family is not an option. Our oldest dog passed this last summer, just shy of 16. Bear was a lab rottie mix and I was his buddy. He always preferred to be around me over my wife and girls, so it was especially hard to lose him. Things get better over time, and I cherish the time we had. He lived a very long life for a big dog,and I am thankful for that. Someday another one will find and claim you.

Wow, 9 is really young... I am so sorry for your loss.
If he was suffering, then you did the best for him. Responsibility is tough.
He went to doggie heaven.

It may be too soon, but there are thousands of dogs that need a good home.

Thank you kind sir for giving him a wonderful life. Entropy takes such a painful toll on us, our friends and the world. Perhaps there is another four legged friend that is looking for his/her forever home.

So sorry to hear this, looks like a great dog and family member! What helped me was to think about the great life you gave him, and the joy you all shared. And that you gave him the gift of not suffering. Lots of animals don't get both of those. I wish for healing and blessings you and your family.

Bryan

Last edited:
Originally Posted by SLO_Town
What a handsome hound! What was his name?

My sympathies to you, your wife, and your daughter. That handsome man will be missed by all of you.

I can feel your sorrow.

Scott

His name was Brutus. He leaves behind a loving family of 4. My wife, myself, and two young children.

The best way to get over it is get a rambunctious puppy that gets into everything so you are preoccupied with that. It's not a replacement, but it is the beginning of a new relationship and a lot of dogs need homes.

Originally Posted by Dave9
The best way to get over it is get a rambunctious puppy that gets into everything so you are preoccupied with that. It's not a replacement, but it is the beginning of a new relationship and a lot of dogs need homes.

I can't as we have another dog that isn't receptive to puppies. She's grieving as well. She hasn't moved all day...

Originally Posted by dja4260
Originally Posted by SLO_Town
What a handsome hound! What was his name?

My sympathies to you, your wife, and your daughter. That handsome man will be missed by all of you.

I can feel your sorrow.

Scott

His name was Brutus. He leaves behind a loving family of 4. My wife, myself, and two young children.

Your words say it all. I can feel your grief. He was one of the family. Some advice, save his favorite blanket and seal it up in a plastic bag. We did that when we lost Harley, my wife''s and my fifth Great Dane. I open the bag up once in awhile just to smell him. It seems like he's right there.

Scott

Sorry to hear about your dog.

Originally Posted by dja4260
How do dog owners subject themselves to this repeatedly? .....
For this reason, my parents decided not to get another dog after their first one passed away after 17 years.

I had a dog for 17 years, and he saved me having to put him down. He had a seizure, lost consciousness, and stopped breathing 5 minutes later... while I was on the phone with the vet, trying to get him some help. There was nothing that I could have done any faster.

That was over a year ago, and I still don't have another dog... and still don't have plans for another one. It hurts.

I lost my Mom, and then I lost this dog just six weeks later. Those were the two worst months of my life... August and September 2018.

Sorry for your loss. Had to have our 13 year old springer put to sleep last year. A difficult decision and time period. Time helps heal. Have not gotten another dog, very doubtful we will. That said, I can't say never.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back