Put Bilsteins on the Silverado

About a month ago I bought a 2003 Silverado 2500 (non HD) with 281K miles on it. I have been working on it since, replacing the water pump and everything associated, along with random little things. Tuesday I committed blasphemy and went back to the stock tire size of 245/75/16 from 265/75/16. When I bought the truck I ordered Bilstein HDs but never got around to putting them on until last night. The truck had Rancho RS5000s on the rear and unknown brand yellow shocks on the front. To do the rears I just sat under the truck and replaced. The fronts I was determined to not take a wheel off because I was being stubborn. Got the driver's side done with much yelling and swearing. Then ran out of strength for the passenger front so I gave up and took the wheel off and got it done in a couple minutes. Truck drives a ton better with the Bilsteins. Also the rears were without a doubt bad. I compressed them by hand yesterday afternoon and they still have not rebounded. The fronts probably were still ok but I wanted to match front to rear.

Also I am pretty sure as I suspected the truck needs a front end rebuild with new control arms since the bushings are cracked. Also I have been informed that the lack of rust is not common. When I took the fender liners out there was a ton of dirt and other organic objects shoved behind them which I cleaned out and found no rust whatsoever, just paint.

IMG_8507.jpg

IMG_8506.jpg

IMG_8183.jpg

IMG_8521.jpg

I put the 5100's on my 2010 FX4; made a huge difference in the ride. Bilstein's are really good shocks.

If I needed a truck, this is probably what I'd do too, refresh an older pickup instead of buying an overpriced newer one.

What will be your use for this truck? Getting a travel trailer or just working around the house?

Originally Posted by Nick1994
If I needed a truck, this is probably what I'd do too, refresh an older pickup instead of buying an overpriced newer one.

What will be your use for this truck? Getting a travel trailer or just working around the house?

General hauling and keeping the miles down on the Mustang. Possibly towing the 95 or 14 Mustang or my Lemons CRX to the racetrack. I bought the truck for $1,500 from a local tow yard on a lien sale.

I loved my toyo open country AT (first gen) until i ran over a board with nails.. and they were on national backorder.

Originally Posted by Rand
I loved my toyo open country AT (first gen) until i ran over a board with nails.. and they were on national backorder.

I normally would have got BFG AT KOs but these were a great price and they had a $130 rebate on the Toyos if I used my Ford Service Card. The diesel tech and his helper at my work did the mounting and balancing and refused to charge any labor. They said they literally could not do their job without me in parts, the service writer and manager agreed.

Nice, I love my Bilstein 5125s. I had rancho rs5000 on the truck before and the difference is night and day. And mine weren't even blown.

i installed bilsteins on my 08 fusion a few years ago...really transformed the ride and handling, even though my stock units were just starting to get tired. winter traction is better as well..

I blew 2 sets of ranchos on my 2002 ranger.. in 4 years. they were the fancy adjustable type 9000's?? dont remember the model.

Bilstein Heavy Duties transformed a 2005 Saab 9-5 Aero so I bought 'em for my Volvo V70.

Those Bilsteins attracted and sold that car to a Saab driver who had just wrecked his.

My Ranger had its shockers changed to Monroe (unknown level) by the PO. Still feels good after 3 years & 7,000 miles.

Does Monroe make shock products of varying quality? Many condemn, many praise. I don't know what to think.

Originally Posted by Kira
Does Monroe make shock products of varying quality? Many condemn, many praise. I don't know what to think.

Yes they do. I think they also make them for other companies to their spec. I have always been a Bilstein fan. If this truck was a 4x4 I would have gone to the Bilsteins with remote reservoirs or even a Fox or King shock.

Very nice.

Helped a friend install some Bilsteins on his AMG.
First time besides an oil change he'd worked on his car. Good times.

As he was underneath doing the dirty, noticed my GMC and his MB shocks are the same color.
smile.gif

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

derp

I am curious to see how you like the Toyo tires? My Dodge Ram 2500 is going to need highway tires soon. The summer set of wheels have Michelin highway tires that will need replacing soon. I am interested in the Toyo Open Country HT2's as replacements for the Michelin Defender M+S highway tires. I am trying to avoid paying the Michelin tax..

I have yet to buy Bilstein shocks. The Miata that we bought came with Bilsteins on it. Firm ride with go kart like reflexes. All fours wheels were bent when we purchased the car, but have since been straightened. The car is much smoother now.

You might want those shocks after trying out Toyo LT's ... I'm one of three in my inner circle who only ran them once.

Originally Posted by Kira
Bilstein Heavy Duties transformed a 2005 Saab 9-5 Aero so I bought 'em for my Volvo V70.

Those Bilsteins attracted and sold that car to a Saab driver who had just wrecked his.

My Ranger had its shockers changed to Monroe (unknown level) by the PO. Still feels good after 3 years & 7,000 miles.

I was really pleased with the performance of Monroe Reflex on my 1998 Silverado. I towed a lot!

Been thinking about Bilstein 5100's on the F-150. Anyone here put Bilstein's on a 2015 or newer F-150.

What I am looking for, is a better compromise of compression vs rebound damping. The standard shock intensifiers are OK until you hit bigger imperfections.

Thanks for the post. I was thinking of Bilstein 5100's for my 3/4 ton Burb. It's weird that everything seems OK with the original shocks with 200,000 miles. I hope I get good identifiable results if I change them.
smile.gif

Back