Purolator Boss

There isn't much talk about this filter. Just wondering who has used one of these in the past or even now.

I've used and liked them as well. Nice, innovative design.
Expensive compared to a Fram Ultra...

Thanks for all the input on this filter.

Originally Posted by SteveG4
I've used and liked them as well. Nice, innovative design.
Expensive compared to a Fram Ultra...

I picked one up tonight for less than a Ultra
wink.gif

I think the Purolator Boss is similar to the Bosch Distance+, but tougher built. Both are super-high on 99% efficiency, but stall on micron rating of 40.
From what I just read a few minutes ago, the Purolator One and Bosch Premium are the 99%eff @ smaller 20 microns.

But I never heard or read about any tear concerns with the Boss. It's built like an Army tank.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted by 77Se7en
I think the Purolator Boss is similar to the Bosch Distance+, but tougher built. Both are super-high on 99% efficiency, but stall on micron rating of 40.
From what I just read a few minutes ago, the Purolator One and Bosch Premium are the 99%eff @ smaller 20 microns.

Just being at 99% without a micron size doesn't mean "super-high" efficiency. Would people buy a 99% @ 200 microns filter? Maybe if the box just said "99% efficient".
wink.gif

But I never heard or read about any tear concerns with the Boss. It's built like an Army tank.

It's going to be replacing the Mobil 1 oil filter that's currently on the vehicle.

The Boss is now 99% at 25 microns.... Not the greatest but not all too bad either.

The Fram Titanium or Ulra being 99% at 20 microns is number one in terms of high efficiency.

I would run either Boss or Titanium on my car.

Originally Posted by bbhero

The Boss is now 99% at 25 microns.... Not the greatest but not all too bad either.

The Fram Titanium or Ulra being 99% at 20 microns is number one in terms of high efficiency.

The regular Purolator One is 10,000 miles at 99% plus at 20 micron for half the price of the Boss.

Yeah but when the Boss was a part of the AAP oil deals... It makes the deal fairly ok... $33.99 name brand full synthetic oil and that filter is a ok deal.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson

The regular Purolator One is 10,000 miles at 99% plus at 20 micron for half the price of the Boss.

Shop around, Amazon has the "Boss" for my application on sale for $8.18
wink.gif

Puro needs to update their website. The one I read yesterday says 40 microns.

I won't buy Ultras / Titanium, unless they make the center tube openings larger. I will be window shopping to see if other brands have larger center tube holes. I want similar to the larger holes Napa Gold center tube. I'm guessing Wix tubes are probably larger holes also.

In the meantime, I'm using AC Delco PF1127 Ecores on our Kia and Hyundai (98@25/30 microns). Looking to improve on those numbers.

Back