PSA: Please wear your seatbelt

Be careful out there. It has nothing what you've gotten away with or survived in the past. It is way worse due to increased traffic and distracted drivers. Take every precaution available to you while driving.

Anyone remember Diesel Tech Ron on YouTube ?

A seatbelt would have most likely saved his life when his VW rolled over.

It should adjust up and down over a ~3-4 inch range. Adjust it for her to the lowest position so it goes more over her shoulder.
Unfortunately it doesn't she's on 5'2 on a good day. She's using a booster seat and it still bothers her

A cousin of mine managed to roll a 3rd gen CAMERO 5 times "only" going 35MPH somehow. He had his seatbelt on and he hit the roof pretty hard. The first responders credit the rusty floors with saving his life. On one of the roof impacts, the seat went through the floor and saved his neck/spine.

That’s a great point here. ^^^^^^^

The roofs on vehicles are really not all that strong either. And God help you if you hit an immovable object like a tree or a bridge pillar or even the ground at the wrong angle.

You are done for.

The Nascar race cars way back in time all had reinforced roofs because that is what killed a number of the drivers back then.

Then came the realiz that the drivers side door needed strong reinforcement has well.

And shockingly even in the mid 1990s they realized that the heck and neck of the human body needed far greater support and protection. Off the top of my head I think it was either the last 1995 or first 1996 nascar race at Rockingham where a HANS device was used in a race by a driver. I watched that race two years ago on YouTube and was quite surprised that it was being tried out that early.

I always wear my seatbelt. But truth be told I didnt until it became a law in the early 1980's and I am sure I was not alone as nobody I knew used seat belts. I actually remember the lap belts on every car were untouched still pinned up to the headliner from the factory. We always complain about laws and rules but we do need them to protect us from ourselves. For a "smart" species we sure do make some poor decisions at times.

Last edited:
Back in the late 80's I was clipped by a guy turning left and rolled an S10. The seatbelt is the only reason I am still here today.

Having said that I feel like these days if people dont wear one theres really nothing left to say that will convince them.

I used to attend salvage auctions and every week I would see the words 'Biohazard' written on various vehicles around the lot along with the bloodstains on the windshields and seats.

Many of the motorcycles were way worse. Plastic and metal that had been smashed into virtual nothingness.

I always wear a seat belt, drive a tiny bit slower than most everyone around me, and make sure that both sides of the road are completely stopped when I have a green light.

Even with basic preventative driving I've had dozens of close calls because cell phones, aggressive drivers, and an obscene lack of turn signals have become the societal norm these days. If I wasn't a dealer and switched out cars all the time I would find the best dashcam setup possible. Not just for me, but for the bad drivers who need to be off the road. I have called up the police in the past when I've seen dangerous driving and a little evidence would go a long way.

Not gonna even start to count the times I've worked wrecks where the folks would have made it, or gotten away with much less serious injuries over the past 40 some years working the cop gig, if they had just buckled up. Whats even more frustrating are the number of fellow LE that still refuse to wear theirs because it "keeps them from getting out of the car" even after all they've seen/done too.

I used to attend salvage auctions and every week I would see the words 'Biohazard' written on various vehicles around the lot along with the bloodstains on the windshields and seats.

Many of the motorcycles were way worse. Plastic and metal that had been smashed into virtual nothingness.

I always wear a seat belt, drive a tiny bit slower than most everyone around me, and make sure that both sides of the road are completely stopped when I have a green light.

Even with basic preventative driving I've had dozens of close calls because cell phones, aggressive drivers, and an obscene lack of turn signals have become the societal norm these days. If I wasn't a dealer and switched out cars all the time I would find the best dashcam setup possible. Not just for me, but for the bad drivers who need to be off the road. I have called up the police in the past when I've seen dangerous driving and a little evidence would go a long way.
I was always a bit shocked when at the auto wreckers, seeing dents and crumbled safety glass in the windshields, obviously caused by people's heads hitting the windshield.

This is way less common since seatbelt laws.

I don't have pictures (though apparently there are some) but the nephew of the guy that bought my M5 from the dealership "borrowed" it while he was house sitting and went on a high-speed run with a buddy in it. They rolled it at something like 80mph and the car was just the safety cage, front and rear end gone. Both were mostly uninjured, ALL the airbags deployed (the car had like 12) which is what saved them.

Back