ProSelect API SL - Suitable to use in newer truck?

I was given nine quarts of this oil SL spec. I usually buy 10W30 Syntec 5 quarts and the Microgard Select filter deal at O Reillys for $33, always having to buy an extra quart as my truck takes six. Would it be ok to run this as the extra quart for a 5-6k interval?

2012 F150 3.7 with 227k

Attachments

• E915A74C-F6EB-4F0C-BD54-2053FC2E7565.jpeg
    E915A74C-F6EB-4F0C-BD54-2053FC2E7565.jpeg
    126.6 KB · Views: 51
Use all your SL rated oil in your lawn mower. I wouldn't use any SL rated oil in your 2012 F150.

Last edited:
I was given nine quarts of this oil SL spec. I usually buy 10W30 Syntec 5 quarts and the Microgard Select filter deal at O Reillys for $33, always having to buy an extra quart as my truck takes six. Would it be ok to run this as the extra quart for a 5-6k interval?

2012 F150 3.7 with 227k
Just use it in your mower, tractor, tiller, or generator. Not your F150.

To answer your question: Found at Lowe's in the ODPE area. Absolutely fine as a quart add in - it may even "boost the performance of your other 5 quarts of Syntec (by OSP)

I guess guys here don't understand the reason for the high saps SL rating - though they all fawn over Mobil 1 0w40 FS.
I would like to see a VOA, sadly a lot of ODPE oils on the big box shelves are now mid saps - like the John Deere stuff.

Alternatively, the best professional advice would be to buy another jug of the - not castrol thankfully - Syntec (Omni Specialty Packaging) and take your extra quart to make six - from that "makeup" jug. - Ken

About pro-select 10w30:

"We blend with high quality base oils and additives. We receive base oils and raw materials from Exxon, Motiva, Ergon, and Calumet. These materials unloaded via dedicated lines from rail cars or bulk trucks then stored in one of the sixty-two blending and storage tanks. With the additional load cells, we are able to blend by weight as well."

Prevents sludge and varnish

Multi-viscosity offers protection though cold-weather and high heat

Latest additives and superior base oils offer maximum protection

Helps engine run cooler

Meets or exceeds performance requirements for API CG-4, CF-4, CD and API SL, SJ, SH, SG

Last edited:

2012 F150 3.7 with 227k
See post #7 above.

Here's a UOA of my 2016 Ford Escape run on SL rated oil (not just one quart but all SL).

This UOA shows me that SL oil is not going to hurt the OP's truck.

Back