Project Farm synthetic oil comparisons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by talest
You have more accuracy sticking a jog of four motor oils in the freezer and pouring them out in the morning or after they get cold to determine flow

You have even better accuracy picking a winter "W" rating that is appropriate for your expected starting conditions since SAE J300 is an appropriate series of tests for the cold cranking and pumping performance at low temperatures.

The freezer tests and Project Farm's goofy tests are grossly inferior to J300. Why would anyone base a decision on an inferior data source?

Originally Posted by LeakySeals
If his goal was to get me to order sheafer 9000 he was successful

His goal is for you to watch his videos and thereby increase his hit count and revenue.

Amsoil wins! Great showing by Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. I think that's the best value. I think he did a good job.

I agree but think both Amsoil and maybe Pennzoil were older formulas That use a lot of calcium detergent as opposed to the newer ones that lowered the additive levels for the Low pre-ignition problems.

Wonder if we could get these kids to put the labels of all the synthetics on the backof their "robots" and have the ultimate showdown...

Last edited:
Project Farm may be silly regarding oil comparisons, but as a JOAT, and someone that ran a prototyping business for 20 years, I find many of Todd's tests of adhesives, cutting tools, drill bits, etc. to parallel my experiences. I appreciate knowing which utility knife blades are good.

At this moment, I'm here because I am on many Subaru forums and FB groups relating to Subarus. You would not believe the interest in and opinions about oil choices. I'm trying to be a bit more informed as I address the FUD.
In one post I said:
Some know that replacing the oil and filter at three thousand mile intervals is compulsive-obsessive. Who here can say that Blackstone or any other oil testing labs have said that their oil is failing them at 3K? There's always the FUD factor when it comes to this topic! (FUD=Fear, uncertainty, and doubt) There is way too much misinformation...

I keep pointing people here and to PQIA. I fear it's hopeless.They have their and their friends experiences and the opinions of the forums. They are almost cult-like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back