Pricing used tires

What are the ages of the tires (date of manufacture), is the treadwear even, do the tires have any patches, what are the tire depths (New tires typically come with 10/32" or 11/32" tread depths, and some truck, SUV and winter tires may have deeper tread depths than other models).

Also what is the treadwear grade of the tires you are looking at. The treadwear grade is a comparative rating based on the wear of a tire when tested carefully under controlled conditions. For example the useful tread on a tire graded 400 should last twice as long as a tire graded 200.

Miles mean next to nothing.

I suspect up to $25 a tire is fair for both the buyer and seller if the tires are in good condition.

$100?
21.gif

Originally Posted by Chris142
$45 ea and the mexican tire shops

That's what I was thinking. A quick look @ ebay was $50.

Originally Posted by GON
What are the ages of the tires (date of manufacture), is the treadwear even, do the tires have any patches, what are the tire depths (New tires typically come with 10/32" or 11/32" tread depths, and some truck, SUV and winter tires may have deeper tread depths than other models).

Also what is the treadwear grade of the tires you are looking at. The treadwear grade is a comparative rating based on the wear of a tire when tested carefully under controlled conditions. For example the useful tread on a tire graded 400 should last twice as long as a tire graded 200.

I suspect up to $25 a tire is fair for both the buyer and seller if the tires are in good condition.

Ouch, I hope I can get more than that.

Last edited:
Yes-to the age, tread depth and condition. Manufacturers have a number of different models of tires and you don't mention this. Is the aspect really 80? Good luck

The pricing of tires is one great example of "helically threaded fastenering" the customer.

You can see ridiculously high priced used tires for sale in both cities and countryside.

If you're strapped for $ they can charge $80 for a used $90 tire because they know you don't have the $90.

Are these a set for a dualie-axled truck?

Used tires just aren't typically worth a lot. For example, at the tire shop I usually use, mounting and balancing is included in the price of new tires. If I were to bring in used tires for them to m&b for me, they would charge $20 each. Also, on the topic of treadwear, I've heard people say that since the tire they're selling has half its tread left, they should be able to get close to half of new cost. Well, maybe if the buyer wants to run it down to zero tread! Also, tire performance drops off as tread wears, so you're not getting as much for your money in the second half of the tire's life.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by PumpPusher
Originally Posted by GON

Ouch, I hope I can get more than that.

You may,,, you have not listed the real time specs on the tires, so no information was provided that a EDUCATED buyer should pay more. Of course you might find an uneducated buyer.

I buy used tires often. The value is typically in an individual tire, or a set of four. I recently had a tire dealer refuse to mount a set of used snow tires I purchased because of the date they were manufactured. These are all factors for educated buyers.

List them on Craigslist for $250 and take the first $150 offer, but expect to get people only wanting one or two. Off-brand tires don't bring too much when you can get new Chinese tires for not much more. Now if they were, Goodyear, Michelin, Bridgestone, they would be worth a bit more.

Originally Posted by PumpPusher
How much would a set of 6 Nexen 235/80r17 tires be worth? They have 16k on them and in good condition.

Around here they go for about $25.00 each. Most places won't mount them anyway and it's such a hassle to find someone who does - that really drives the prices down.

There are some used tire places and they sell them by the pair, mounted and balanced, for around $80.00 (total of two tires, size 225 65 17). So it definitely depends on where you are in regard to demand - ultimately you can sell them for what you want, but the market will only bear so much.

You need to provide age and tread depth for anyone here to give you a rough estimate.

A tread depth indicator is only a few bucks at any auto parts store.

Pictures help, too.

Is 16k well less than 1/2 used up? If so, I would expect to get near $50/ea. if I was patient on craigslist. I live in NYC metro so I have a good wide audience and I get top dollar for everything I sell if I'm patient. Good pictures on every item.

If I had a way to mount and balance them myself I'd buy used. That being said, it'd cost me $100 to have a used set of tires installed for a $150 set of tires that cost $500 new that are 30% worn. I'd rather spend the scratch up front and know they were properly cared for.

They are worth whatever someone will pay, advertise them on CL & FB Marketplace-somebody will buy them. If you get more than $100 for all four, I would consider that a win!

Back