Pressure Washer Issues

I have a 2600psi gas pressure washer with Kohler Courage XT-7 (173cc) engine. Been running fine but lately when it warms up and you hold the trigger down for a while (10+ seconds) it will begin backfiring out the intake and fall flat on its face dead. Completely repeatable, does it every time.

I yanked the carb off cleaned it real good, no dice. Replaced with new cheap carb off Ebay, still does it. Tried removing fuel cap, no luck. Replaced fuel line. I adjusted the valve clearance, no concerns there, valves move freely as they should. I'm really beating my head against the wall with this thing, nearly to the point where I'm ready to toss it and get something better. This is a cheapie unit with vertical shaft engine and junk throwaway pump, but it has served me quite well since around 2008 when I bought it. It was a $179 Black Friday special at Menards. Figured the pump would fail long before the engine, but it's treated me good and instead the engine is giving me fits.

Anything else I can check on this unit? If not, I'm open to hearing recommendations for a new pressure washer in the $400 range, I'm hoping to get something that I can replace the oil in the pump (in other words, not a cheap throwaway pump), I really have no preference as to engine, but might try avoiding Kohler due to the last pressure washer experience.

Choke is working correctly, haven't tried swapping the plug, but upon inspection it looks fine. Might try a different one just for grins. The gas I'm using is the same stuff I use in all my mowers and other OPE, it's fresh and ethanol free.

Definitely swap the plug. They can look fine but not spark or fail when hot.

With gas in the tank, take the fuel line off the carb and point it into a container make sure you get a good steady flow from the tank. There is probably a filter built into the tank.

Last edited:
I'm happy to report that I think the spark plug fixed it. Never even thought to change that, still can't wrap my head around how a plug can cause a backfire through the intake, but I haven't had any issues since replacing it.

The old plug (Denso Platinum TT) looked fine as far as wear goes, but was heavily carbon fouled, something I usually don't see in OPE, usually they look lean if anything. But after replacing with a regular old Champion RC12YC I counted out a solid two minutes with the trigger pulled (after warmed up) whereas before I was lucky if I could get 15 seconds. I'll be washing one of the cars today, so I'll know for sure if this is fixed for good soon.

Starting fine and then having issues once warmed up is a classic sign of ignition problems. First, easiest and cheapest thing to check is the spark plug.

Back