Premium Guard PG111 Cut Open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by sw99
I wonder if it has something to do with the thicker HDEO. I use these all the time with zero issues,

Here is one of mine with over 9k miles- https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...4615-with-9212-miles-on-it-subaru-23-psi

Whether it's a thin 0W-20 or thick SAE 50, the bypass valve ensures that the filter media will never see a pressure differential over a certain amount. The media should be able to withstand the pressure differential that the engine requires without rupturing. I suppose that a thicker oil might mean that the filter will spend more time with the pressure differential being closer to the bypass pressure. Of course, a filter being short tripped during the winter may spend a lot of time in bypass too, even with the manufacturer recommend oil being used.

From what I understand, Premium Guard filters come from various sources. It seems to be a real gamble as to how good of a filter you will get. Posts like yours are the reason that I decided to try these filters. Your filter media looks really nice.

Thank you for taking the time for the cut and post. Terrible terrible quality -- I myself will NEVER purchase one of those filters.

Dale

Thanks for the cut, all of the black can Prime Guards Ive seen have been great as well, maybe theres a difference in the paint job.

Edit:Disregard, I was confused between Prime and Premium.

Last edited:
Thanks for the pic of the date code. RA not always noted for newest inventory. I've not seen that date code format before but I'll take a shot. Sometime in 2015 or 2012. That said, really just winging it here.

If you dare I'd like to see you run one of these ~5k mi/ 6months see what you get. I do think that would be safe oci/fci.

Originally Posted by Pyrotechnic
Forum rotates the image for some reason ...

OT ... probably because it was shot in portrait orientation and uploaded via a smartphone. I've found that some sites will only post upload smartphone images in landscape orientation.

To the OP, why not run the remaining filters for Varying mileage and cut them open to see if they hold up?

Next filter 1000 miles and cut open and post pics
2nd filter 2000 miles and and cut open and post pics
3rd filter 3000 miles and and cut open and post pics

Then we can all see the results of the media for that length of OCI.

Just my 2 cents. Thanks,

I've been using pg2500 on my Taurus. I was going to cut it open been didn't want to seal with the hack saw. Lol I still have, guess we need to look inside..

How about a fun plot twist?

As I was gathering up these filters to dispose of them, I noticed one in a broken box that had purple colored printing on it, instead of the gray that I've been seeing. So I took all the filters out of their boxes. I have 9 filters total, and there seems to be about 4 distinct variations, and on top of that the dates codes are all different. These are all from a single order that showed up together in one box.

Take a look and just let it sink in. See that one on the left? It is marked "Made in China" and the can design is completely different from the others. Every other filter I have is marked "Made in Korea"
[Linked Image]

We have three different top plates. The one with oval holes is the lone Chinese filter. The difference between is the other two is one has a "U" stamped on it.
[Linked Image]

Date codes printed by different machines.
[Linked Image]

It's no secret that Premium Guard buys filters from many suppliers, and this is a great example of that. This might explain why peoples experiences with these filters vary from amazing to horrible.

Trying to establish any kind of pattern of quality or reliability is going to be really difficult if there isn't any consistency in the first place.

This is juicy stuff, I almost want to order another dozen just for the mystery and drama.

This is juicy stuff, I almost want to order another dozen just for the mystery and drama.

Premium Guards ... like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get, lol.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

Premium Guards ... like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get, lol.

Meanwhile in a shanty warehouse somewhere in Guangzhou, Mr Wang is smiling as he hammers out another filter casing and stuffs it with filter media he made himself. Business has been good.

If the media appears below standards, I don't think being made in China is the issue. Premium Guard's specifications and QC might be.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Meanwhile in a shanty warehouse somewhere in Guangzhou, Mr Wang is smiling as he hammers out another filter casing and stuffs it with filter media he made himself. Business has been good.

Like sands through the oil filter, so are the days of our lives...

I decided to cut the Chinese filter open, since it looks significantly different than the Korean filters.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This top plate is much nicer. No burrs or shrapnel. The rubber seal was centered and appeared to be making a good seal.

[Linked Image]

This filter media is completely different from what was in the Korean filter. At a first glance it appears to be thicker.

[Linked Image]

Pleats look straight and mostly even all around. A little glue happy in one spot.

[Linked Image]

Can looks clean inside, no rust. This one uses a leaf spring.

[Linked Image]

When cutting the media, I had to use a lot more force to cut this media than I did with the Korean filter. This media is significantly stronger.

[Linked Image]

This media definitely thicker as well. The top and bottom plates are firmly glued to the center tube.

[Linked Image]

Obviously, this is a completely different filter. The filter media is noticeably better and the overall quality is better. This filter looks good enough that I would have given it a chance on my car. Too bad this was the only Chinese made filter in the box of 12 I received.
frown.gif

It would be interesting to see if the fresh stock of these filters being shipped today are of the same quality as this one.

Well luckily for me the one I used on my Taurus was made in china. I got two more new ones. I'll check them when I have time. Also stI'll need to cut the used open when. I get time

I wrote them and they said the filter is 8 years old.

This is really an interesting posting. It is so disturbing to ready such level of disinformation.

The filter was produced in 2012… I wonder how is a filter this old after 8 years found its way to your vehicle?
Even extended life filter as well as OE are to be replaced at 10,000 or 1 year.. not 19 months
When you use a filter, any filter, for extended duration you must have full synthetic oil. Regardless of the filter the sudge build up in your engines is outrageous.. you engine will not last another year

I would appreciate it if you call me to discuss further

Anan Bishara |

Direct: (212) 344-3322

Main: (212) 344-2200 Ext. 111

HQ: 90 Broad St, Ste 1504,New York, NY 10004

Main DC: 4770 Hickory Hill Rd, Memphis, TN 38141

Before this mess becomes any bigger, I would like to state the facts from beginning to end.

-I received a box of twelve Premium Guard PG111 oil filters from RockAuto. The filter boxes looked to be in good shape, and the filter boxes were identical. There was no indication that there were any issues with the items received.

-I used one of these filters for an oil change interval on my car. The mileage was beyond the manufacturer's mileage recommendation and I was fully aware of that.

-I cut open the used filter and found torn filter media. I posted pictures and my opinions of the product.

-I immediately cut open another unused filter from the twelve, posted pictures here, and stated my opinions about the quality.

-I took the remaining 9 unused filters out of their boxes, and found various external visual differences between all the filters. I posted pictures of the differences. I raised concern over product consistency because of this.

-Eleven of the filters were marked "Made in Korea"

-Only one filter was marked "Made in China"

-I cut open the filter marked "Made in China," posted pictures here, and stated my opinions.

-BITOG member Jimzz contacted Premium Guard, and posted the communication he received from them. It was revealed that the filters I received have date codes from 2012.

With all that out of the way, the reason I cut oil filters open and post pictures is to help others make informed buying decisions.

I am not here to hurt the reputation of a company that does not truly deserve it. It isn't their fault that a retailer sent me old stock and that I didn't realize it. It would be unfair for me to say that those filters are an accurate representation of what Premium Guard is shipping out today.

As far as the oil filter that was used on my car, I am fine with calling that a misunderstanding.

Now that Premium Guard is here, they have an excellent opportunity to give us a first hand look at the level of product value and customer service they are offering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back