Premium gas in a Lexus (Toyota)?

I know a lot of Manufacturers “recommend“ premium fuel in their performance versions of certain engines shared across the line of vehicles, but do they say it requires it?
Yes. The Dodge Challenger when equipped with a 5.7 HEMI and automatic recommends 89 with 87 being acceptable, but if you get a manual transmission they require 91 or higher.

But as others have said, big difference between “recommended” and “required.” My Ram for example will run 87, but recommends 89. It’s kind of a dog on 87 so I use 89. My 2011 Durango had the same 89 recommended/87 acceptable but I couldn’t tell a difference at all in that so I just ran 87.
IMG_7465.jpg

The fuel door has a sticker typically that states required or recommended. Likely is 91 recommended which translates to 87 works and might have slight loss of HP motor rated for.

My daughters 2013 Acura ILX stated 91 recommended which we have never done. It has a CRV 2.0L variant with 10HP hp more than CRV.

Was at a family friend's house yesterday and this topic came up. Why does Lexus require premium gas when Toyota doesn't? For example, the 2012 Lexus ES350 comes with a 3.5L V6. The same motor the 2012 Toyota Sienna, 2012 Toyota Camry, etc came with. The Sienna and Camry don't require premium gas. But, the Lexus does. I had no answer for this. Looking for some insight from some fellow forum members.
Because the engines have different ECU calibrations. The Lexus engines are tuned with more aggressive timing advance to extract more power when running higher octane fuel.

A lot of it depends on the tune.
Yeah, the reality is if the car were designed for premium, the car isn't putting out the specs in the brochure on regular. Not sure why, but the opinions on this topic are always so extreme. One is you don't deserve the car if you use regular, the other is you're a fool burning money out the tailpipe if you use premium.

I do know that premium is no longer price elastic the way it was 25 years ago. Back then, if regular went up 10 cents, premium went up 5-6. Even at $3+. Today, regular goes up and down, and premium doesn't change much. It can be $0.40-$1+ more per gallon.

I ran my 1998 Maxima SE on regular from 1998-2023. It didn't turn into a pumpkin at midnight.

I use premium in my LS430 and 335i. The GM SUV says 87 regular, so that's what we use.

Also...we have (my son's) an '08 RX350. Says run 91+. Gets nothing but 87. Runs just fine. It was my dad's and he ran 89 unless in mountains where he ran premium. 15 year old vehicle with 150K. Clearly isn't hurting it. Got the vehicle for free and a teenager isn't paying an extra $1 per gallon to drive around town to school and work.

Also...we have (my son's) an '08 RX350. Says run 91+. Gets nothing but 87. Runs just fine. It was my dad's and he ran 89 unless in mountains where he ran premium. 15 year old vehicle with 150K. Clearly isn't hurting it. Got the vehicle for free and a teenager isn't paying an extra $1 per gallon to drive around town to school and work.
The only thing I would add is in the rare case where you have a knock sensor problem, which I did with the Maxima around 2014, then use premium until the sensor is fixed/replaced....I recall Mercedes Benz once stating we sell cars in every country in the world, and there are some that don't have premium. All our cars will operate on regular when premium is not available. I don't know if that position has changed today--because there are some really tiny 4 cyl turbos in existence....

Was at a family friend's house yesterday and this topic came up. Why does Lexus require premium gas when Toyota doesn't? For example, the 2012 Lexus ES350 comes with a 3.5L V6. The same motor the 2012 Toyota Sienna, 2012 Toyota Camry, etc came with. The Sienna and Camry don't require premium gas. But, the Lexus does. I had no answer for this. Looking for some insight from some fellow forum members.
When engine software is programmed to take advantage of premium fuel the vehicle will generate better emissions and better torque. Here's C&D article and take a look at the Ford 150 stats. On a side note the BMW M5 example is silly because C&D ran the car using 91 instead of 87. BMW min is 91.

When engine software is programmed to take advantage of premium fuel the vehicle will generate better emissions and better torque. Here's C&D article and take a look at the Ford 150 stats. On a side note the BMW M5 example is silly because C&D ran the car using 91 instead of 87. BMW min is 91.

This is the one statement that I've never been able to explain to anybody in over 25 years. The other one is the "how can I tell if my car battery is going bad" threads. I'll say try a load test, crickets, and there will be half a dozen more ways that people are trying.

Raising the octane rating (also known as the anti-knock index) doesn't change the energy content of a gallon of gasoline.

Octane is not a measure of goodness, which for some odd reason, people seem to think of it as. Just like megapixels on a camera. Wow, you better have 24 or more, or you're so 1990s. Meanwhile all you need is 8 to enlarge to 8x10, which nobody does today (except portraits).

One myth I cannot stand, is, "I don't care if my owner's manual says 87. I get better mpgs when I use premium."

mpg is its own never ending topic, in itself :ROFLMAO:

This is the one statement that I've never been able to explain to anybody in over 25 years. The other one is the "how can I tell if my car battery is going bad" threads. I'll say try a load test, crickets, and there will be half a dozen more ways that people are trying.

Raising the octane rating (also known as the anti-knock index) doesn't change the energy content of a gallon of gasoline.

Octane is not a measure of goodness, which for some odd reason, people seem to think of it as. Just like megapixels on a camera. Wow, you better have 24 or more, or you're so 1990s. Meanwhile all you need is 8 to enlarge to 8x10, which nobody does today (except portraits).

One myth I cannot stand, is, "I don't care if my owner's manual says 87. I get better mpgs when I use premium."

mpg is its own never ending topic, in itself :ROFLMAO:

True but the amount of energy extracted from a gallon of gasoline depends on the amount of oxidizer (ie. oxygen) and the compression ratio.

Higher compression ratio equates to better thermal efficiency.

True. But the amount of energy extracted from a gallon of gasoline depends on the amount of oxidizer (ie. oxygen) and the compression ratio.

Higher compression ratio equates to better thermal efficiency.
Yes, what I mean is that when you're driving a Toyota RAV4 designed for 87, and you tell the attendant at Costco to fill it premium, there's no benefit. But some will say it keeps their engines clean and they get better mpgs.

There was one time I said fill it premium, and they always repeat it like a parrot would, but the guy filed my LS with regular. I immediately did a calc if the tank had 8 gal of premium 93, and now 14 gal of 87 was introduced, I wanted to see when I got back to the recommended 91. Good thing we have 93 in PA/NJ, whereas Cali. I hear only has 91. So if they did that in Cali., it will never actually reach 91 again. It will approach 91.

Lexus ES hasn’t gotten anything other than 87 since new… My MB gets nothing other an 89.

I see no reason for low octane past 89, it’s simply for luxury makers to make divers pay for such fuel.

Lexus ES hasn’t gotten anything other than 87 since new… My MB gets nothing other an 89.

I see no reason for low octane past 89, it’s simply for luxury makers to make divers pay for such fuel.
I use premium in my LS. All it does is allow the vehicle to put out close to the 278/312 in the brochure (2006 got clipped from 290/320 but it has to do with how measured). Jmoymmv Lexus didn’t invent a premium recommendation for the 3UZFE

Yes, what I mean is that when you're driving a Toyota RAV4 designed for 87, and you tell the attendant at Costco to fill it premium, there's no benefit. But some will say it keeps their engines clean and they get better mpgs.
It depends on the engine. Modern Mazdas will advance ignition timing if you use premium and get slightly better economy and power. I am not sure about every BMW, but recent M cars seem to gain power on dynos up to 100 AKI.

No, this is stupid. If a German car asks for 91 AKI minimum it's because the engine and tune are designed for that and anything less can cause detonation. If they had to make it fine for 87 they would have to back off on the timing. Do you really want to live on the edge and rely on the knock sensors with an expensive engine?

The 2012 ES brochure says regular, not premium.

The fuel door on the LS400 states premium fuel only. The owners manual reads 91 octane; if not available, minimum 87 octane can be used temporarily or until the engine blows up. ;)

When i was living in Montana in the 80's, no stations in Butte had 91/premium fuel.

Last edited:
Back