PP Euro 5w40 SN Plus formulation VOA

Here's another Euro oil 5w40 VOA for y'all who are interested. Brand new bottle with the new PP Euro 5w40 SN Plus formulation.
PP Euro.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted by DrDanger
Yup, this looks better than the Total Quartz 9000 you posted before. More boron, more moly, more magnesium.

Yeah that's what I thought too. The Total Quartz was pretty much just a crap ton of calcium plus the usual disperants. This seems much more well balanced IMO. Nice seeing all the moly in there.

Originally Posted by splinter
Nice. I like that oil.

Perhaps that "iron" is what some find at the bottom of the bottles.

Yeah I have seen YT videos of that "sediment" at the bottom. I just don't understand where it would even come from. Perhaps we'll never know!

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Thank you. These things cost money.
smile.gif

Not a problem! Just a guy with too much money and an obsession with euro oil haha.

I got another VOA coming soon. And older bottle of Valvoline MST 5w40 should be here tomorrow or so.

Too much ca + mg for me.

But it will be a long life oil.

The KV100 is a 30 grade though!

I know these euro 40's are borderline 30, but this crossed the border.

No in -situ problems if the HTHS is stout.

IN fact, its better.

but still a surprising failure.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Too much ca + mg for me.

IN fact, its better.

Well the Ca and Mg is more or less to obtain the SN Plus since calcium is supposed to help with LSPI. Why too much? What would you have replaced it with? If you want to see a lot of Calcium, I posted a VOA of Total Quartz 9000 that was really nothing but calcium at ~2300 PPM if I remember correctly.

Yeah it's definitely a thinner 5w40. Even the non SN Plus formulation was right there on the edge between 30 and 40. I like my oils thick since I live in a hot climate.

I definitely wouldn't call it a failure. I would put it above average, personally.

Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
Originally Posted by BurntMusic
Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
"The viscosity is in the 5w/40 range."

KV100 = 12.15 cSt

confused2.gif
06.gif

Did I say that? lol I just looked it up and it should be between 12.5 and 16.3?

https://wiki.anton-paar.com/en/sae-viscosity-grades/

The tech wrote that in the comments on the report. The oil isn't even in grade and yet Blackstone says it's good to go. lol

I think they may be basing it on the "average" in their tests. It's within that range.

Well the Ca and Mg is more or less to obtain the SN Plus since calcium is supposed to help with LSPI. Why too much? What would you have replaced it with? If you want to see a lot of Calcium, I posted a VOA of Total Quartz 9000 that was really nothing but calcium at ~2300 PPM if I remember correctly.

Interestingly the PDS puts the 100c KV at 12.8cSt so this is a bit low. Could be a Blackstone thing..

PDS

Also, calcium is actually an antagonist to lspi and most SN+ formulas have Ca closer to 1k ppm or even lower with Mag levels being increased, so that too is interesting to see it at 1400+ ppm. However the addition of moly and differences in base oils and base oil viscosities has been shown to also mitigate lspi events. So maybe there's something going on with that in this lube.

From Chevron Oronite..
[Linked Image]

"Additive effects on the frequency of LSPI in the Ford test. The "High Ca" oil has a calcium concentration typical of those in the market today. The "Low Ca" has been reformulated to resist LSPI, and is representative of how many next generation oils will behave."
https://www.oronite.com/about/news/low-speed-pre-ignition.aspx

Last edited:
I must have been getting that confused with something else then. Maybe high calcium was good for turbos? I remember reading something along those lines in the non-euro oil forum.

EDIT: In my experience, Pennzoil Euro has always been on the thinner side. Even the non SN plus formulation was quite low. I'm still on the search for the most thick (or thicc depending on how you look at it
lol.gif
) 5w40. Total Quartz 9000 has the thickest I've seen at 14.7 on their PDS.

Last edited:
The V100 viscosity test is very difficult to do accuratly. I've had issues with oils that I've had tested in the past comming in thinner that expected. I've even had Shell send me the refinary data.

It's not worth worring about
wink.gif
. The Helix Ultra 5W40 is the same as this blend and is A-1
laugh.gif

Regards
Jordan

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Too much ca + mg for me.

IN fact, its better.

Yeah it's definitely a thinner 5w40. Even the non SN Plus formulation was right there on the edge between 30 and 40. I like my oils thick since I live in a hot climate.

It's your vehicle oil temp reading in operation that matters, not the Climate.
Granted most will rise with higher ambients. But are you even pushing 205degF?

Also HTHS ( not tested or reported) is the "protection" not the KV100.

I would hazard a guess the Viscosity ERROR was on blackstone.

But it would be interesting to retest - or test somewhere else.

If it's out of spec range, its a FAIL; Personal feelings don't come in to that asssessment
smile.gif

If PQIA tested it out of range, it would get a red - or at least yellow flag.

Last edited:
If this is indeed a new formula, anyone have an idea on HTHS? I know it will be above 3.5, but is it 3.6 or 3.88? Have seen references to both in the older versions.

Back