Powerstop Brake kits

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife's 2017 Yukon XL is due for brakes and since I have plenty of free time on my hands I will be doing them myself.

Rockauto has Powerstop front and rear kits that include pads and rotors. The standard kit is $145 and the Evolution geomet coated rotor kit is $232. Centric also has a kit for $235.

Are the coated rotors a necessity? I'm looking for a stock type replacement. No squeaks or excessive dust and I don't need slotted/drilled/dimpled rotors. Any concerns with the cheaper Powerstop kit? Thanks.

Coated rotors won't last more than the first few passes. The hubs might last a bit longer before rusting but that's about it.

It's got 50k on it and the pedal pulses like mad when coming to a stop from highway speed. The cost of new rotors makes machining them not worth the hassle.

like most rotors today they are prolly chinese castings, for better but not cheaper EBC's higher carbon UK castings + brake pads from the USA. braking is a place to get better not cheaper IMO.

A 2 yr old trucklet with 50K shouldn't need much more than a pad slap and a system flush. Pulsing pedal is like pad transfer . There should be obvious signs of warping and damage if the rotor is bad. heavy sand paper or a knotted wire wheel will scrub off old pad residue. Disk brakes are nothing to be scared about. Once a good pedal is achieved the most likely failure mode is a seizure. It is a PITN to deal with but not dangerous, Sudden LOSS of brakes is a non issue in a car less than 20 yrs old.
grin2.gif

amazon sells the powerstop kit. I ordered a solid rotor kit with pads for my sonata, and they sent a drilled and slotted kit.

Not bad for 79 dollars, I'm happy with it.

I have used both the powerstop and Centric kits off Rockauto - good value and I recommend them.

I'll try cleaning the rotors to remove any old pad material first and see if that does anything.

I put the Z23 Evolution front rotors/pads on my '15 Cadillac about 1 1/2 years ago. No regrets. All positive things to say about the package.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back