Power steering fluid in coolant

Yes you read that correctly. On my 02 Firebird GM put a power steering cooler inline with the upper radiator hose. The seal on mine is apparently leaking and I've had to ad about 6 oz of power steering fluid.

What's the best way to remove the power steering fluid from the coolant system? I'm thinking that I'd drain and fill a couple times with water to get most the coolant out and then use one of the flush cleaners and drive around a bit and then flush with distilled water several times before adding coolant. What do you all think?

Last edited:
Yes you read that correctly. On my 02 Firebird GM put a power steering cooler inline with the upper radiator hose. The seal on mine is apparently leaking and I've had to ad about 6 oz of power steering fluid.

What's the best way to remove the power steering fluid from the coolant system? I'm thinking that I'd drain and fill a couple times with water to get most the coolant out and then use one of the flush cleaners and drive around a bit and then flush with distilled water several times before adding coolant. What do you all think?
I think that is what I would do also .

Best of luck to you .

I'm looking into cleaners. Not sure what ones I should use. There seems to be the standard flush cleaners and then the greasers. I want to use something that is least aggressive as possible. Not sure if the standard flush cleaners will get the oil. The car is basically a garage queen :)

I would try a Prestone product for the flush. Then drain and fill with h20 only, then drain the h20 and see if there is much/any oil left in it.

Waiting for @Trav to chime in. I‘ve read Shout works. The classic choice to degrease cooling systems is phosphated Cascade commercial dishwasher detergent/fryer boil-out. You want a low-foaming and not highly alkaline detergent.

I just picked up some Blue Devil radiator flush & oil degreaser. Also have some simple green pro HD on the way tomorrow. I did read a lot about the dishwasher soap too. I'm hoping the oil isn't too bad of an issue, I estimate that only about 6oz has made into the cooling system. However I have neglected this cooling system so it due for a cleaning. It's been around 13 years since the coolant has been touched which I know is bad for Dexcool, especially in non-sealed system such as this firebird. Granted I've only put 3000 miles since then but its been too long of a time period.

They make degreaser/oil remover flushes. Something like VeLabs L-11 radiator degreaser. Ive seen similar flush products from one of the major diesel manufactuers too, but forget what/when/where.

6 ounces isn't much. The oil will float to the top of the radiator......I would suck it off the top for a few days before flushing. It's probably already ruined your radiator cap & overflow bottle hose. And will most likely ruin the tank seals on the radiator.

Good time to clean the condenser coil as it needs to come out with the radiator (When done correctly).

Got the job done on Sunday. The coolant in the radiator looked great for 13ish year old Dexcool, little to no sign of oil. However the coolant from the overflow tank had plenty of oil in it. Clinebarger appears to be correct that most of the oil floated to the top and yes the hose going to the overflow tank is very soft and spongy. I went ahead and flushed the system with the Simple Green HD since I just needed to degrease the system and not to descale, I figured the Simple Green was safer to use. Removed and bypassed the PS cooler so this won't happen again so for now all is well with the Firebird. At least with the cooling system, I have an key cylinder issue that needs trouble shooting :(

Back