Power steering fluid change out; frequency.

For best results, each time you change the engine oil.
ON the original rack and pump on my 88
thumbsup2.gif

Some people do it every 2-3 years or 30k miles and some people never touch it without problems. Of the fluid still looks good there's not much need to change it unless there's a squeak, squeal or problem you'll probably be fine. For us ocd fluid nuts I do it every 30k to keep the atf in there as fresh as possible Bc I've changed a rack once and I do not want to again. If it's an auto trans just do it with the transmission and sleep well.

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
thumbsup2.gif

And I'll also endorse even more frequent changes

Get a super syringe (eBay and other) … you can pull out 6 ounces and see the oil through the plastic …
If it darkens any at all … suck out all you can and top off with fresh fluid.
(SS also handy if you overfill).
I used to go about 2 years … now have electric steering on several units.

PS fluid isn't exposed to combustion blowby like motor oil or friction material wear like transmission fluid nor does it absorb moisture like brake fluid. Why would you change it so often or at all for that matter? Maybe every 10 years if it makes you feel good.

I change power steering fluid every 30k miles, and this seems to be just about right. The fluid I take out still looks good, but it is definitely slightly contaminated when compared to the new fluid that goes in.

I suspect that a little longer interval would also work. But I don't think I'd push 60k.

Once a year. Either pop off the return line or do the siphon and fill. Never have had rack problems on any car. Once had a leaky ps hose on an impala, but it was leaking when I got it cheap and it was very minor.

Originally Posted by BHopkins
I change power steering fluid every 30k miles, and this seems to be just about right. The fluid I take out still looks good, but it is definitely slightly contaminated when compared to the new fluid that goes in.

I suspect that a little longer interval would also work. But I don't think I'd push 60k.

Fluid in my 2010 GMC turned black in year 3. We all know what it means when clear oil does that in the absence of combustion … BUT, there is still lots of heat and pressure. Once I started to flip a few ounces once in a while
(Even with a site hate brand) … stayed clear for the next 5 years. Matter of minutes and a few bucks.

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
thumbsup2.gif

Wow that's super aggressive...and also super effective!

I usually do the turkey baster method every 30,000 or so, might have to adopt this with 10-12k OCIs. How many miles on your '88?

Do it with the tranny service.

If you have a fluid extractor it will be easier since you can get down the in the lines to remove more of the fluid.

I never had changed it on two 87's I still have and never had a steering issue so far. I can't honestly see doing it unless I have to replace a pump, rack or gear.

Originally Posted by BHopkins

The fluid darkening is from the hoses and seals leaching their color into the fluid. Doesn't affect performance or life one bit. This is as BITOG OCD as it gets. Would you change the oil on a diesel as soon as IT gets dark? (Which is almost immediately.)

My truck went 18 years on the original PS Fluid. Changed it because a line was bad and the system had to be drained out anyway.

My Jeep gets it changed yearly with the transmission fluid. It also has to turn a locked front differential with 33'' tires in rocks, so it gets worked pretty hard. The transmission receives the same harsh life, so it gets the same upkeep.

Originally Posted by 4WD

Fluid in my 2010 GMC turned black in year 3. We all know what it means when clear oil does that in the absence of combustion … BUT, there is still lots of heat and pressure. Once I started to flip a few ounces once in a while
(Even with a site hate brand) … stayed clear for the next 5 years. Matter of minutes and a few bucks.

Same, except my 3/4 ton has a hydro boost unit. The fluid (AC Delco) goes in clear but inevitably turns tan.

Back