Post your latest small engine oil change

Girlfriend’s secondhand Husqvarna mower that she bought for $40 from a friend. Used only once by her (last year) and put away when it didn’t work well. It has a 190cc Briggs & Stratton 725EX series engine.

I decided to take a look at it earlier this week to see what the issue might be. First things first: check and change the oil.

Out: A few drops of the blackest oil I’ve ever seen. Oh no. This isn’t going to be good.
In: SuperTech full syn 5w-30

I ran it for a few minutes, then dumped the fresh oil out. Dark, silvery, sparkly sadness. Oof. I went through a few more cycles of filling, running, and draining, and the sparkles continued. I finally decided to fill the crankcase one last time, use the mower, and let the chips fall where they may. Sure enough, it seizes frequently out in the yard.

Time for a new mower!

Wait, what’s this? The mower has some life left in it after all! It wasn’t seizing out in the yard; it was stalling, and I didn’t realize it until I saw it for myself while she was mowing. The blade is VERY dull and dented, which can’t be helping things. Ordered a new blade. The oil is still producing sparkly sadness, but I bet this fella has another season left in him. 👍

1713642325484.jpg
I asked her to change my mowers oil but she hasn`t showed up yet.

Changed the oil on my neighbors mower, I checked it for here and the level was fine from when I changed it last year but the oil in it was leaving metallic streaks on the paper towel so I changed it, maybe it's still wearing in, I picked it up off the curb in 2022, it may have only been used a few times from the previous owner before something fell on it and cracked the starter/blower housing and fuel tank, so maybe it's still wearing in, it probably didn't get a ton of use the last 2 years because she was constantly going out of town and I usually ended up mowing her yard with my mower. Also I keep a few of the foam filters for these on hand so I swapped out the filter for one I had cleaned/oiled. The engine is actually a 140cc with the primer system even though the starter is off a 150cc mower with the auto-choking system that uses paper filter.

Out: Carquest 10W-30 FS
In: Same
1713832415916.jpg

Yep oil changed every 100-150 hours. Original hydro pumps, I did a change with Valvoline Synthetic 20w50 and Exmark hydro filter. Machine is still nice and solid, not much play in anything. The 27hp Kohler Command doesn't even smoke or use a noticeable amount of oil between changes.
I’ve always done yearly or 100 hours on an oil changes.
I hope that my Kohler ZT740 will last that long. It’s a good running engine. The mower was delivered running at 3,300 RPMs. I turned it up to 3,600 at no load. The low speed idle was also set too low. I fixed that too.

This past weekend I changed the oil in my three main mowers. County Line SAE 30 from Tractor Supply. The 19.5 HP opposed Briggs in the 1997ish LT1000 and 18 HP Briggs INTEK in the 2006ish LT2000 with a new Briggs and Stratton filter get that stuff. The 2020 Cub Cadet XT2 679 CC gets Kohler 10W-30 Full synthetic with a new Cub Cadet filter. The Cub Cadet has 110 hours on it. The LT1000 has over 1500 hours on it. Not sure about the LT2000 but I suspect it is low hours based off condition.

Back