Post Your Latest (Motorcycle) Oil Change!

Originally Posted by Bonz
Yo Hermann! This is the motorcycle side of the forum.
smile.gif

So sorry

Spent all day at the DMV getting my permit, tabs, and title transferred so I treated the old girl to a fresh oil change before going out on my first (legal) ride. I did the sub-trans and rear diff fluids a couple weeks ago with Amsoil 75w90, so today the crankcase got 4 quarts of Rotella T4 15w40 and a Wix 24940 filter, made in Poland
thumbsup2.gif
I could immediately tell that shifting improved, and the engine sounds much smoother all around. I've settled on a 1500 RPM hot idle and she just runs like a sewing machine. It still needs the timing chains adjusted, but that's going to have to wait until later. I also discovered 2 oil leaks: one from an oil cooler connection at the oil pan and one from the oil pump/left cover gasket, as well as the shift shaft seal.

I should be able to cure the cover and shifter leaks at the same time, the oil cooler hoses use simple o-rings which are readily available for a couple bucks each.

2016 FLSTC, short OCI for flushing purposes

out: in: Valvoline VR1 20W50 + HiFlo HF171B
in: Valvoline VR1 20W50 + HiFlo HF171B

2006 Yamaha R1

Drained 50/50 mix of 5w40 T6 and 15w40 T4 and took off a bosch distance plus filter

Put in 15w40 T6 and a Bosch Premium filter

2010 Honda Elite 110, 5980 miles on newly purchased bike

Out: unknown, well-used oil

In: Amsoil 10w30 Metric Motorcycle Oil

Filter: Cleaned several decent sized chunks off metal screen with brake cleaner

I think this thread is for posting up what you did at your latest oil change, or did you switch to Amsoil 10w30 in your bike and did a VOA before making the switch? That info would be a great addition to the virgin oil analysis thread.

I think this thread is for posting up what you did at your latest oil change, or did you switch to Amsoil 10w30 in your bike and did a VOA before making the switch? That info would be a great addition to the virgin oil analysis thread.

^^well said^^ I was wondering too

2007 Harley Dyna Twin Cam 96 c.i. engine, 6 speed transmission. Valvoline VR1 20W-50 in the engine w/ H-D oil filter, H-D Formula+ in the tranny and primary.

Last edited:
1998 Suzuki TL1000s with a TLR engine, 99.000 miles,

Belray EXS full synthetic ester 15/50 out Same thing back in. factory filter, 3000 mi OCI

This oil really works well as far as shifting and clutch action.......might be the best one yet...... I got a good deal on the EXS but may pick up some of the synthetic ester blend EXP and try it out,

Just bought Can Am F3T, 2015, 1330cc, like new with less than 1500 miles on it. Changed OE oil to Rotella T6 5W-40 and Hi Flow filter. This oil is rated Jaso MA & MA2. Thought I'd give it a try since I've read that a number of folks use it or the T6 15W-40.

Just bought Can Am F3T, 2015, 1330cc, like new with less than 1500 miles on it. Changed OE oil to Rotella T6 5W-40 and Hi Flow filter. This oil is rated Jaso MA & MA2. Thought I'd give it a try since I've read that a number of folks use it or the T6 15W-40.
Jury is still out on the 15w40, but the T6 5w40 is known to shear down quite a bit. M1 10w40 m/c oil and Amsoil 10w40 m/c oil seem to be solid choices for the 1330 motor. I'm now running M1 in mine.. YMMV

I tried several brands of 10W-40 in a previous 2014 RT and they all sheared down to somewhere within the 20 to 30W range within 2-3000 miles. I always changed at 4K. However, numerous folks on the Spyderlovers forum have run oils way beyond that, some now with high milage. The question in my mind, is how much would more, if any, would it shear if the oil is run on? I never ran it further, thus no testing. I agree that Amsoil is prob one of the best and recall someone did a test at 6K or so and it was good. However, I am now of a mine that since I'm going to continue changing at 4-5000K, any Jaso Ma2 will suffice. I forget all the brands I tested but do know Amsoil, Motul, Castrol, and Valvoline synthetics were four of them. Castrol sheared fastest I clearly remember. I ride little these days and prob won't get close to a change, but when I do, I might test it just out of curiosity. Cheers.

2019 Goldwing Tour 6 Speed-Engine (4002 miles)
Out - Supertech 10w30 ATV (Sadly, I wasn't impressed, 1700 mi)
In-Honda GN4 10w30

Final Drive
Out-combination of Amsoil Severe Gear 75w90 and FF that was short filled when I bought it.
In - Amsoil Severe Gear 75w90.

Bonz, there is so little action in this thread that IMO your level of policing seems pointless. I am just happy to read something.

I tried several brands of 10W-40 in a previous 2014 RT and they all sheared down to somewhere within the 20 to 30W range within 2-3000 miles. I always changed at 4K. However, numerous folks on the Spyderlovers forum have run oils way beyond that, some now with high milage. The question in my mind, is how much would more, if any, would it shear if the oil is run on? I never ran it further, thus no testing. I agree that Amsoil is prob one of the best and recall someone did a test at 6K or so and it was good. However, I am now of a mine that since I'm going to continue changing at 4-5000K, any Jaso Ma2 will suffice. I forget all the brands I tested but do know Amsoil, Motul, Castrol, and Valvoline synthetics were four of them. Castrol sheared fastest I clearly remember. I ride little these days and prob won't get close to a change, but when I do, I might test it just out of curiosity. Cheers.

Read a report somewhere in the Auto section, but can't now find it, that basically after the initial early on shearing, oil can go on for some time with a minimal of shearing. At least thats how I understood the article. Don't take any of this for fact tho! LOL

At any rate, I have a case of Amsoil 10-40 on the way and will dump the T6 5-40 when I get 2K on it.

I agree about the activity, I made that post a month ago and your comment comes now. This thread is titled "Post your latest oil change" not a virgin oil analysis from 2012. Plenty of history with that poster and questioning information as being current, relevant or accurate for the discussion at hand.

It's valid to make mention when an oil change for a truck is posted in the motorcycle side of things as well. I made mention of that to be helpful in the event it may have been inadvertently posted. You would know the answer on that.

Cheers!

Last edited:
2013 Kawasaki Ninja 650 w/ 5,220 miles and just changed with Valvoline 4 stroke full synthetic 10w40. I've been running Castrol Actevo which is a Syn-Blend and has been great too. I reused the filter as the oil most likely didn't even have 2k miles on it but could short pit and replace the filter before the next oil change. I did see some glitter in the oil pan after draining it into the container but at 5k miles the bike is most likely still being broken in so hopefully that will be the end of it. I haven't really kept good records on this but this is at least the 4th or 5th oil change and would've thought it would've been done wearing by now.

So far I'm really impressed with the Valvoline, the shifting slips right into gear and isn't notchy when I was using the Kawasaki oil but the bike was getting broke in, also the engine feels lively and more responsive now but it could just be the fresh oil.

Back