Post Your Latest (Motorcycle) Oil Change!

First post here. 92 Honda 750 Nighthawk
Old oil Rotella T6 15-40 Pulling out because I just put in a clutch and not sure if the oil caused it. Think diesel oils in bikes are done with the new mix. Been a good 30 years.☹️😡 EPA...AGAIN!

New oil. Supertech 10w40 synthetic. Bosch 3300 filter.

Per the Redline website, their primary fluid has the viscosity of a 5W-30 motor oil. Kind of on the thin side for me.

Formula plus specs out to a 50 grade oil.

Have you thought about using Harley’s new 80W-140 gear oil in your primary?
Took your advice and swapped for the H-D 80w-140 gear oil in both primary and trans. The primary was immediately quieter after idling for just a few minutes. I haven’t had time to ride it but it seemed to drop into first much softer.

Not the cheapest stuff at $20 per qt but about the same as that awful Redline primary oil.

I think this new rating of diesel oil for low ash and cat. converters in cages will not work in wet clutches for bikes anymore. This coming year will tell.

Last edited:
Took your advice and swapped for the H-D 80w-140 gear oil in both primary and trans. The primary was immediately quieter after idling for just a few minutes. I haven’t had time to ride it but it seemed to drop into first much softer.

Not the cheapest stuff at $20 per qt but about the same as that awful Redline primary oil.

Glad to hear your initial impression is positive. I’ve got around 17,500 miles on my 2018 Tri Glide. At 20K I’ll do a 3 hole change. I plan on using SYN3, a Harley oil filter and the H-D 80W-140 gear oil in the primary and transmission. I have a gift card from the local H-D dealer that will cover the cost of the 3 hole change.

2022 Honda Africa Twin Standard 1100cc Manual Transmission
Mileage: 6670 miles
OCI: 2502 miles/11 months

Out: Honda GN4 10W-30 4 Liter
Out: Honda OEM Oil Fliter

In: Honda GN4 10W-30 4 Liter
In: Honda OEM Oil Filter
FaNIT7Fh.jpg

My brother brought over their old CT90 (Honda Trail 90) for me to spruce up so he can sell it. I cleaned the crusty points, sprayed the jets out in the carb and changed the oil with some Traveler 15w-40 conventional HDEO. The oil that was in it wasn't too dark but seemed like it had a good amount of moisture in it.

2016 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited FLHTK
Mileage: 21,994
OCI: 1257 miles/1 year to the date!

Out: Spectro 20W-50 Heavy Duty Semi-Synthetic 3.3qt
Out: HD Oil Filter
Out: Bel-Ray V-Twin Primary Chaincase Lubricant 1.2qt
Out: Spectro 6-Speed 75W-140 Transmission Synthetic 1qt
Out: HD Spark Plugs (2)

In: Bel-Ray 20W-50 Semi-Synthetic 3.3qt
In: Drag Specialties Oil Filter (had an HD, but found this stashed behind it)
In: Bel-Ray V-Twin Primary Chaincase Lubricant 1.2qt
In: Bel-Ray Big Twin Transmission Oil 85W-140
In: HD Spark plugs (2 new)

Since I don't ride this Harley Davidson as much since I'm now more into Adventure Off-Road riding, I'll keep changing engine oil & filter yearly. Haven't decided on Primary & Transmission intervals as of yet???

r6gSglu.jpg

I figured this may be fun and spur everyone to post like many do in the PCMO section and might give us some interesting oils/brews and filter combinations we motorcyclists haven't pondered yet. Feel free to give as much info as you'd like!

1986 Yamaha FZX700 Fazer: Shell Rotella 15W40, Wix 24937 Filter

2007 Yamaha FZ1: Shell Rotella 15W40, Wix 51358 Filter

So far I'm really happy with the performance of the SRT 15W40 and don't see myself trying another oil any time soon, but I might try out the HiFlo filters as I can get them REALLY cheap. Hopefully I'll get a response from them as far as their filter efficiency goes before making the change.
15W40 is the way to go. No where in most 10w40 applications says run 5w40.
15w40 makes shifting butter on my 07 GSXR600 & 750 and 04 600.

I figured this may be fun and spur everyone to post like many do in the PCMO section and might give us some interesting oils/brews and filter combinations we motorcyclists haven't pondered yet. Feel free to give as much info as you'd like!

1986 Yamaha FZX700 Fazer: Shell Rotella 15W40, Wix 24937 Filter

2007 Yamaha FZ1: Shell Rotella 15W40, Wix 51358 Filter

So far I'm really happy with the performance of the SRT 15W40 and don't see myself trying another oil any time soon, but I might try out the HiFlo filters as I can get them REALLY cheap. Hopefully I'll get a response from them as far as their filter efficiency goes before making the change.
I use hiflo and K&N. Hi Flo makes K&N’s filters btw.

Last week I had a couple days off and it was nice out so I changed the oil in the 2006 Accord 2.4
OUT: TGMO 0w20 / Honda A02 (5 months and 3000 miles)
IN: TGMO 0w20 / Fram Ultra. The filter will most likely be used for two OCI's.

About a month before that..
2005 Chevy Uplander 3.5
OUT: QSUD 5w30 Fram TG (3500ish miles 4ish months)
IN: QSUD 5w30 Fram TG
NEXT: Castrol Edge EP w/ FST 10w30 and a Fram TG or Fram Ultra.
Motorcycle not Cage. Lol

2023 BMW R1250 GSA

9,000 miles

3,000 miles on oil

Castrol Power 4T 5w-40
Mahle oil filter

2021 Honda PCX, purchased used about a week ago from an Indian dealership.
Mileage: 2466 miles

Out: whatever the dealership's shop had on hand, I presume. It was WAY overfull, and seemed to my untrained eye to be on the thick side. I'm not convinced they used the viscosity specified by Honda, which wouldn't surprise me since they're primarily an Indian dealership and would have a lot of 15W-60 ready to go.
In: Castrol Edge 10W-30

This is my first scoot, and I'm pumped to dork it up around town!

2022 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE.
First oil change. Checked all requirements per Triumph for 1st servicing. Lubed chain.
OCI: 623 miles/6 months (it sat majority of winter)

Out: Factory OEM Oil 3.2 liters (I'm assuming it's Castrol Power 1 10W-40 4T since that's what Owner's Manual recommends).
Out: Triumph OEM Oil Filter

In: Castrol Power 1 10W-40 4T motorcycle oil 3.2 liters
In: K&N 204-1 oil filter

j0Ilegf.jpg

Just did the Harleys (Softail Deuce and Ultra Classic) both with the redline oil change kits and HD filters. The oil change box comes with eng oil, trans and primary fluids plus some fuel cleaner, hat, funnel etc. Very convenient and cost effective. I use geniune HD chrome filters for the 5 micron rating and good reputation. My son has just taken over the Deuce so I am Ultra Classic only now.

^^^ FYI in case you didn't see this info on the Harley filter.

2012 Honda ST1300A
35K+ miles, 4500 miles on oil
Out: Valvoline Syn 4T 10W-40, Mobil1 M1-110A filter
In: Valvoline Syn 4T 10W-40, Purolator Boss 14610 filter

I use the same oil filter as my Honda CR-V on both my Honda motorcycles. No issues.

1981 Suzuki GS650G air cooled 8 valve, no oil cooler.
29k+ mi. About 1k mi. OCI, 12 mo. Only did real local 40-50 mile spins last year.
Out: Castrol Actevo 10w40 blend + ST 20w50 syn bike oil. HiFlo Filtro filter.
In: Same

The GS650G ('81-'83) has a number of unique one model designs, including a compact shaft drive set up. Uses engine sump oil for primary lube. After draining the sump and primary, first oil back in fills the primary case. Also, the only plain bearing, high oil pressure Suzuki, I think. Perhaps one of the early GS750 16 valve engines may have been as well. 10w40 spec'd but 20w50 approved. I don't want to go full 20w50 to stress the oil pump too much.

Also, the only plain bearing, high oil pressure Suzuki, I think.
You talking about the crank and connecting rod bearings? If it has roller bearings on the crankshaft, it most likely had journal bearings on the rods.

Back