Post your latest oil change

Have you ever figured why both 3593A and 9688 fit Hyundai/Kia vehicles, but only 9688 is actually specified to use?
I have a bunch of Champion 3593A but little hesitant to put it on
The 9688 was developed to address flow issues on cold starts for the GDI egines in Hyundai, Kia and Genesis'. They would spike over 200psi in "cold" conditions (based on my conversations with Hyundai techs, it seems to be below 0°C). Which was too high a pressure for many aftermarket filters. Aftermarket manufacturers addressed this by increasing flow, can construction, ADBV, increasing the bypass valve pressure release and the threading to reduce blow out. That being said, I do not have issues with the Champion COS3593A that I use on two Beta II Hyundai engines, a 2014 Theta and the new Kona Nu Atkinson is actually quieter on start up with the Fram Ultra over the 35504. The construction on most, not all, but most aftermarket 3593A oil filters have addressed the issues that Hyundai said were issues. To completely address the issue that Hyundai/Kia said were failures, most aftermarket manufacturers simply created a new filter with the same qualities already addressed in the 3593A/4459 with the 9688 filter making it closer in size and construction to the 35503/35504/35505. Moral of the story: use the COS3593A with confidence and if you have an increase in start up chatter from the timing chain or a tick/piston slap, change the oil filter to an OEM and see if that resolves (this is the exact TSB that Hyundai uses for determining engine ticks). My Beta II and Theta engines thrive on the Champion COS3593A and are getting better filtration over stock (99% @20 microns over 97% @ 30 microns).

EDIT: in addition, the Champion COS3593A is actually a high-flow filter with twice the inlet hole surface area over the Hyundai 35504/35505 and most 9688 variants. Combined with the continuous louvered outlet design, it makes for a very rigid and ultra-high flowing oil filter. I won't link it, but if you do a youtube search for the COS3593A you will find a recent video (June/July 2020) of the exact filter cut open and analysed.

Last edited:
11 HP Honda Pressure washer. Oil changed as part of winterizing the machine.

Out: 5w40 Mobil 1 TDT.
In: 5W40 Mobil 1 TDT.

OCI this time was 3 years/~30 hours for this machine.

2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
1,912km
Out: Factory fill (probably SRT 0w-40), OEM filter
In: Ravenol SSL 0w-40, Fram Ultra XG2
6DA3557A-1873-4C46-9020-8394AD7E268F_1_105_c.jpeg

That's pretty neat that the [black] MOPAR says "factory installed". Question, that white filter is what/from what?

I have no idea, it was in the pan when we changed it. I tried to get the filter off in my driveway yesterday but my band wrench wouldn't clear on the 2020, the huge oil cooler lines were in the way, so I ended up bringing it up to the dealership where my buddy who is a tech there did it and I "supervised" :LOL:

It's an interesting development, because that same filter tool worked perfectly fine on the 2016, so I'm not sure what they changed? It has a very large plate-style oil cooler but on this one, both large lines come out on the side that faces the front of the vehicle, which is the only area where you can get in due to the underbody stuff. I think they might have been on the back on the 2016?

I have no idea, it was in the pan when we changed it. I tried to get the filter off in my driveway yesterday but my band wrench wouldn't clear on the 2020, the huge oil cooler lines were in the way, so I ended up bringing it up to the dealership where my buddy who is a tech there did it and I "supervised" :LOL:

It's an interesting development, because that same filter tool worked perfectly fine on the 2016, so I'm not sure what they changed? It has a very large plate-style oil cooler but on this one, both large lines come out on the side that faces the front of the vehicle, which is the only area where you can get in due to the underbody stuff. I think they might have been on the back on the 2016?

Ok, got it. At first i thought "that must be a new Fram color scheme i haven't seen".
Concerning the changes - that bites! Maybe a slip-joint filter wrench for the next try.

junk.png

This was my latest oil change. I drop off car and they do the worky. Me come back later and drive away. Simple no fuss no worry hands stay clean method.

50 Caswell street? My buddy who's a flight engineer on US Army Chinook helicopters was living in Brisbane for a while for his job. He used to take his Subbie WRX there and liked it so much he often mentioned them. He's now back in the U.S.

Ok, got it. At first i thought "that must be a new Fram color scheme i haven't seen".
Concerning the changes - that bites! Maybe a slip-joint filter wrench for the next try.

I think I'm going to try a cap wrench, as that appears to be the easiest if I can get one that fits the FRAM Ultra's I'm using.

I think I'm going to try a cap wrench, as that appears to be the easiest if I can get one that fits the FRAM Ultra's I'm using.
Only thing I hate is that the 74-76mm wrench I got from walmart for my Trailblazer doesn't want to let go of the grippy paint on the filters, when I took the ph3506 off that the previous owner put on I had to beat the crap out of the can and bend it to get it out of the wrench.

2011 GMC LML 6.6L Duramax. 13,000 kms on oil, 200,000 on truck. Out 15w40 Havoline CJ-4, in same. Left the filter on the engine for now.
Also, F&R diff. Pet-Can 80W140 in & out. Allison 1000 8.5L PC duradrive in & out. Transfer case & power steering same. Fuel filter around Xmas.

2011 GMC LML 6.6L Duramax. 13,000 kms on oil, 200,000 on truck. Out 15w40 Havoline CJ-4, in same. Left the filter on the engine for now.
Also, F&R diff. Pet-Can 80W140 in & out. Allison 1000 8.5L PC duradrive in & out. Transfer case & power steering same. Fuel filter around Xmas.
Over 8,000 miles on the oil filter and you didn’t change it? Why?

2015 Impreza
6.8k OCI

Out: Kirkland 0w20 - Subaru OEM filter
In: Kirkland 0w20 - Beck Arnley 0410859 filter that meets Subaru bypass valve spec.

Changed oil on a 2002 F150 last night with the 5.4 liter

Out: Citgo or Resolute 5w30, can't remember for sure and a Protec oil filter

In: Resolute 5w30 (fleet farm brand bottled by Citgo) and a new Protec oil filter, I think its the last Protec in my stash (Wix Made)

Last edited:
Back