post your latest differential fluid change

Originally Posted by BlakeB
How do you have the hose barbs sealed into that lid?

A washer, rubber washers cut out of bicycle inner tube, and a dab of rtv.

2002 Tacoma Double Cab 4WD with 3.4L six cylinder. 217K miles. I bought it with 107K miles on it 11 years ago. First fluid changes since I've owned it, and maybe the first ever.

Rear differential
Out with unknown gray thick oil. Magnet was loaded.
In with Supertech Full Synthetic 75W90.

Transfer case
Out with unknown oil that was golden yellow/brown. It was way overfilled. When I took out the fill plug, oil came gushing out. Presumably factory fill during assembly.

Front differential
Out with unknown golden brown oil. Magnet partially loaded.

Results -- Pickup shifts seamlessly and quietly into and out of 4H, 4L, and 2H. Prior to this, it would sometimes clunk into and out of 4WD. Wish I wouldn't have waited so long. Since this is now a third vehicle for short-distance use (firewood, Lowes, hardware store, etc), I probably won't have to change the fluids again for 7-10 years.

2004 Honda CR-V

Rear Diff

Out: 1.1 quarts of Honda Dual Pump II / Eneos Import DPS, 17K miles

In: 1.1 quarts of Eneos Import DPS

2017 Ford Explorer 4wd 3.5l NA with 38,000 miles. Did the PTU drain and refill for the first time. It only holds 18ish fluid oz. total and I used my Liquivac to get out about 13 ozs. Refilled with Mobil 1 75w-140. The drain plug only had very fine metallic specs/powder on it, so I'm thinking this unit is wearing well.

2011 Subaru Forester X Auto
Front + rear diff
Out: black unknown gear oil
In: Supertech 75w-90

2018 Ram 1500 4x4 Rear diff, Valvoline 75w 140 and transX LS additive.. 50k miles. Screwed up, noticed after finishing up that the valvoline included the LS additive. I guess most do now. Been 2k miles no problems though.

2018 VW Golf Sportwagen w/DSG and 4Motion w/40,607 miles, tuned with a larger VW turbo and other hardware

40,607 miles on factory Haldex AWD fluid

Replaced with VW fluid, removed/cleaned the Haldex pump and screen

2013 Explorer Sport 4wd 3.5L ecoboost 112k miles - New to me. Changed all the fluids this weekend:
Rear diff - Valvoline synthetic 75W90
PTU (transfer case) - Redline Shockproof Lightweight
Transmission - Valvoline Maxlife ATF
Engine Oil - Supertech 5W30 + Fram Ultra

Rear diff & trans looked good. Did 2 drain/fills with 200 miles in-between.
PTU fluid looked like uncooked brownie mix. Planning 3-4 drain/fills until the fluid comes out clean.

PTU is right next to the rear catalytic converter and rear turbo. It only holds 500ml of fluid. Common point of failure is for the PTU fluid to turn into paste and squirt out the vent, leaving the gears dry. Trying to avoid that.

Stenerson, I did the same thing on the first diff gear oil change on my 2011. No real problems other than the LSD was extremely weak. I corrected the issue next change and all was right in the world.

So I recently changed the gear oil in rear diff of my 2006 Trailblazer but recently noticed some minor leaking from the rear driver side seal. Fast forward a week ago, 2 hour trip to the city in the heat, hit some clover leaf's a bit to fast and found gear oil all over the driver side parking brake and caliper. Later found the passenger side had soaked the parking brake.

Out was brand new Federated Co-OP gear oil SL. In went Motomaster (citgo flavor) synthetic 75w90.

2018 Ram 1500 4x2, 31K miles

Out: FF
In: Redline 75W-140 GL-5

Lots of metal shavings, as in every first time diff lube change.

2012 Touareg TDI Sport

Out: FF
In: Valvoline 75W-90 front and rear, Rock Oil gearaxl TF 0870 in the transfer case.

0714201142_HDR.jpg

2018 Nissan Frontier 4x4, 30k miles

Out: factory fluid
In: Rear: Supertech synthetic 75w90 Front: Valvoline synthetic 75w90

Outgoing fluid looked pretty good for a first time change with 30k. The reason I didn't go with the same fluid for both is that I originally bought conventional 80W90 for the front because the manual explicitly specifies conventional oil for the front diff. I was talked out of that by users on a Nissan forum (told that the front doesn't actually require a conventional fluid, it's just a cost saving measure) so I picked up a bottle of synthetic at the local parts store.

In n out.
The Toyota Genuine World Standard Fluid.
(TGWS)
1.25 quarts. LOL.
Electric motor rear differential.
@ ~ 70k miles.

2019 Lexus UX 250h F-Sport

2019 Infinity QX60 AWD rear differential, original 75W90 out and new Mystik JT-7 75W90 in x 0.50 litre. Fill and drain plugs are pipe thread type, should only be used once....I re-used them.😧

Also did the transfer case, original 80W90 out and Motormaster (Canadian Tire house brand) 80W90 in x 0.30 litre

Back