polyetheramine is confidential and will not be displayed on sds

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have heard from tons of people that the motomaster f1 extra strength fuel injector cleaner contains pea but i wanted to find the content my chance so i went looking for the msds but couldnt really find one that showed pea, so i emailed the manufactures and they said this
"You are correct that the product contains polyetheramine. Unfortunately, the manufacturer has deemed it confidential and that chemical will not be displayed in the SDS"

Is that even legal? Because the msds/sds doesnt even show polyetheramine at all, it just shows snake oils:

Stoddard solvent 8052-41-3 80-100
n-Nonane 111-84-2 Constiuent
1,2,4-Trimethylbenzene 95-63-6 Constiuent
Hydrotreated kerosene 64742-47-8 1-5
Solvent naphtha 64742-94-5 1-5
Naphthalene 91-20-3 Constiuent
Distillates (petroleum), hydrotreated
middle

And the manufactures says it has it inside but will not be on msds because its confidential.
Seems like it doesnt contain any pea and there just lying or is that not the case?
thx

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/...el-injector-cleaner-473-ml-0380745p.html

This must have changed because if you go back to 2008 or before you could regularly see PEA listed in the SDS (MSDS) sheets back then.
I remember seeing it listed with Gunk "Regaine" fuel system cleaner from 2007 in the MSDS.

It is not like people in the industry do not know about PEA. There is no need to make it confidential. This sounds like a uninformed management decision.

What fun times we live in.

Rod

There is a warning on the bottle mentioning polyetheramine and its dangers. Read the first aid treatment. Doesn't seem to be a secret.

02247A9A-E2FB-48D2-9BD3-819347ADF94B.jpeg

Last edited:
I believe it's a possible federal regulatory violation to purposely exclude a hazardous ingredient from the MSDS. They could get in hot water over that.

yeah it makes no sense to me considering its on the back of the bottle but not in the msds, they should still list it and just put the percent as confidential/properiety

so i guess the dosage in it is probably very low? like 10% ish since there not saying how much

I don't see it listed on techron either, lol. The cool thing is you can really tell how your fuel cleaner is or isn't working these days with a 20 dollar boroscope. Even better than knowing %'s is seeing results.

Originally Posted by burla
I don't see it listed on techron either, lol. The cool thing is you can really tell how your fuel cleaner is or isn't working these days with a 20 dollar boroscope. Even better than knowing %'s is seeing results.

True indeed ^^^^^

Need your picture update to that thread burla ✓

Originally Posted by bbhero
Originally Posted by burla

True indeed ^^^^^

Need your picture update to that thread burla ✓

:), I talk to the dude everyday, when he gets it I will post it. Maybe the weekend after this one, would be my guess. He is a busy guy and pulling coils off the hemi isn't like a super easy thing to do, it does take a while. If you see that thread, kind of conclusive already imo. Seams like it takes two bottles and most of the carbon no matter how bad is almost gone. I'll mention it to him before that weekend and set the seed. Part of the issue is he doesn't drive the truck a lot, so it takes this long for it to be 2 bottles and 2 tanks full. I'm looking forward to seeing the results whatever they turn out to be. Kind of cool guys do these video's and boroscopes, I think it is about as helpful as anything I've seen. dyi spirit is cool when folks share it.

A company isn't required to disclose a trade secret even if the ingredient happens to pose a health risk. And not all ingredients need to be disclosed. I emailed Gumout about it's Regane IVC and why the SDS didn't list PEA and the reply I got back was a) it's in there and b) they aren't required to disclose the ingredient or it's % of the total volume.

Here's some info about SDS's...

https://www.chemsafetypro.com/Topic...BI_trade_secret_SDS_info_disclosure.html

Last edited:
yeah exactly but seems like the big brands seem to do it too which makes no sense because if im a consumer with not too much knolwedge and i see that the msds doesnt have pea in msds, then i wont buy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back