Pocket Carry Ruger LCP 380

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are so many choices for pocket and purse carry for a Ruger LCP 380. What do you like for a pocket carry? Is there a better idea for my wife to carry in her purse?

For simplicity and reliability , it is hard to beat a wheel gun . If I were to buy a pocket carry , I would seriously consider a .38 Special / .357 Magnum revolver . If the .357 recoil is too much for you , you can always use .38 Special ammo .

I would rather have either than .380 ACP caliber .

A few wheel guns are also available in 9 x 19 mm , which would be more power than .380 , but I would still opt for .38/.357 .

When I did I carried the 357LCR with 38spl rounds. I did not think it printed any worse than the junk I normally carry in my pockets (I did not carry anything else in that pocket, pistol in holster, just that my pockets usually look full). I usually wear dress slacks so it was not a big deal; jeans tended to be worse. An LCP ought to disappear although a holster may be needed to keep the print from looking like a gun (a revolver has all sorts of contours and a holster breaks it all up, IMO).

I'd rent an LCP before buying, it seems "real" gun guys are ok with it and many others find it a snappy critter. Watching videos of people shooting one shows many are readjusting their grip after each shot. Which may or may not be of concern to your wife. That out of the way, this is a nice light & small gun to drop into a purse, no doubt about that. There are other options, other contenders in the category, which you might want to peruse on youtube also, lots of reviews there and even comparisons.

Originally Posted by Gebo
There are so many choices for pocket and purse carry for a Ruger LCP 380. What do you like for a pocket carry? Is there a better idea for my wife to carry in her purse?

Unless you and wife plan to shoot the LCP a bunch and get competent with it for wife's purse a can of the most powerful mace/pepper spray is worth serious consideration. If someone doesn't shoot much or is recoil sensitive a tiny little pocket gun isn't a very good choice.

A Glock 43 at least gives some sight radius and a bit less recoil.

You may want to let her try out some guns for herself. You need to consider her hand strength. She may not be able to rack the slide.

I pocket carry a Ruger LCP regularly in the synthetic holster that came with it. It's unobtrusive in a front or rear pocket. I'm considering a S&W 642 Airweight in 38 +P for the wife. She finds it difficult to rack the slide on a semi automatic, plus she prefers the simplicity of a light revolver.

Last edited:
I already have 2 of the Ruger LCP so I'm sorta locked in on those for me. It is snappy and loud.

Maybe I should look at a revolver for my wife. Gun show in Salem tomorrow. We'll make a visit. May go to shooting range afterwards.

My son is selling his Ruger 380 as he bumped up to a SW 45. That's why I have 2 of them.

Gebo
Take a look at the S&W 638 Airweight and the S&W M&P 380 Shield EZ. The Shield EZ is much easier to rack than most semiautomatic pistols.

I've got both the LCP and a S&W 642.
Your mileage may vary, but IMO J frames just don't pocket carry as easily as small .380s.
Granted, they do pack more cartridge and granted they are almost certainly "5 for sure."
But also true: More felt recoil from an airweight .38 than from a .380.
Each type has its advantages, IMO ... it's a matter of which aspects matter most to the user.

Originally Posted by gman2304
I'm considering a S&W 642 Airweight in 38 +P for the wife. She finds it difficult to rack the slide on a semi automatic, plus she prefers the simplicity of a light revolver.

I'd say that would be a good choice as long as the double action trigger pull is decent. Revolvers are super simple - just aim and pull the trigger. Don't have to think about racking a slide, taking it off safety or messing with a FTF or jamb malfunction.

Firing 357 mag in a small revolver can be a handful for most. A good defensive round in 38 +P should be adequate.

Originally Posted by AZjeff
Gebo said:
A Glock 43 at least gives some sight radius and a bit less recoil.

A 43 believe me is way to snappy. It might fly out of her hand. A 42 and LCP (I have all three). Can be eliability issues with the 42. LCP is dead stone rock solid. Air Weight FTW.
She could limp wrist a semi..although the 42, 43, and especially the LCP can be limp wristed...stilll.

Remora holsters for the front pocket or Talon wallet holster for the back pocket. My wife educated me on the crappy pockets that come on women's clothing.
You can't fit a zippo lighter in my wife's jeans pockets.

My vote is for the LCP II, which is my carry. Don't get the LCP I, the ll has many ergonomic improvements. However, working the slide is not one of them. There has been some great work done by S&W on their M&P Shield EZ that you should take a look at. Those are a bit larger, but for a 9MM, you or she won't be criticized or under powered.

I pocket carry a Ruger LCP regularly in the synthetic holster that came with it. It's unobtrusive in a front or rear pocket. I'm considering a S&W 642 Airweight in 38 +P for the wife. She finds it difficult to rack the slide on a semi automatic, plus she prefers the simplicity of a light revolver.

The 642 Airweight is not a good idea for a lady. The recoil is WAY too punishing and it will scare the crap out of her. The only way this will work is with downloaded (target) rounds of say 125 gr. or less, which defeats the purpose.

If you do decide on the Ruger, or any auot, watch her very closely at the range. Don't let that left hand go on the backstrap or you will have a lot of blood to clean up!
Forgive me if she is an experienced shooter and knows better, this advice is more for the novice.
Thank you again, Mr. Range Officer!!
BTW, the LCP ll also comes with the synthetic pocket holster, but I prefer a cell phone ballistic nylon pouch on the belt. Yes either LCP fits just fine. ( $5.00 @ any flea market!)

Since so many of today's new shooters are women, the NRA did an extensive study using actual women to determine what they liked and shot well. Clear winner was the Smith EZ 380, followed by the Sig P238.

One of the most interesting points of the study findings, many women are purchased guns by men who know guns thinking they know what to get them. Smaller revolvers often come up in such a way. The women detested them for the most part.

My LCP is my summertime/ sprintime EDC wit a spare mag and a flashlite in my opposite pocket , I keep in a Uncle Mikes Nylon holster with a thumb break

I like the DeSantis pocket holsters. I use them to pocket carry a Ruger EC9S and a Remington RM380 when I don't feel like carrying IWB. Both pistols have very manageable recoil, are plenty accurate for defensive purposes, and are very concealable.

The LCP really isn't a "girl" gun. I bought one for my wife. It's really snappy and had quite a few failures to feed. I replaced the stock recoil spring (9lbs) with a Wolf 11lbs spring and that fixed the failure to feed issues. It's very reliable now. I also had to put a Houge grip on it to help to be able to hold onto it (it's so small). My wife can't shoot it. It's now harder to pull back the slide with the heavier spring. It's a good pocket gun. I carry it in the summer in a Desantis pocket holster. Very easy to conceal.

Originally Posted by K20FA5
The LCP really isn't a "girl" gun. I bought one for my wife. It's really snappy and had quite a few failures to feed. I replaced the stock recoil spring (9lbs) with a Wolf 11lbs spring and that fixed the failure to feed issues. It's very reliable now. I also had to put a Houge grip on it to help to be able to hold onto it (it's so small). My wife can't shoot it. It's now harder to pull back the slide with the heavier spring. It's a good pocket gun. I carry it in the summer in a Desantis pocket holster. Very easy to conceal.

What did you get for your wife?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back