Plumbers Putty/Clay Bar

Status
Not open for further replies.
CB

Funny you posted that, I saw that yesterday on Youtube as well. I don't know if would work as well. Why don't you give it a try and let us know lol.....

I guess after you are done with the putty, you could use it on a Sink or plumbing fixtures. The extra grit it picks up would assist in sealing the joint. ;-)

Last edited:
laugh.gif

My vehicles are done right now so, it'll have to wait till the next time.

The algorithm presented me with the same video. I actually bought some but wound up using it on a sink of all things. I bought a Griot's Garage synthetic clay scrubber instead.

I wouldn't recommend plumber putty for anything but plumbing. It's got a greasy quality that doesn't wash off. Get it on your hands and it will be there for a day or two. Because of this, I wouldn't think that it's something you'd want to be smearing on your car, especially if you want to top coat with something else.

What is the insistence on using improper products to save pennies?

Use an automotive clay bar or synthetic "clay" mat, pad, etc.

Dish soap is for dishes, plumbers putty is for plumbing.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW

Completely agree, and this was the mantra I often heard from the chairman of our chemistry department in college after he discovered an individual was using benzene to wash his hands.

Originally Posted by A_Spruce
I wouldn't recommend plumber putty for anything but plumbing. It's got a greasy quality that doesn't wash off. Get it on your hands and it will be there for a day or two. Because of this, I wouldn't think that it's something you'd want to be smearing on your car, especially if you want to top coat with something else.

Thats what I was thinking. The putty I have is slightly oily and would not want to put that on paint.

Originally Posted by kschachn

Completely agree, and this was the mantra I often heard from the chairman of our chemistry department in college after he discovered an individual was using benzene to wash his hands.

I knew a few painters back in the day that did the same thing, and many times used gasoline to clean oil paint from brushes. The logic, gas was cheaper than Mineral Spirits and Benzine. They're no longer with us.

I'd stick with clay bars too.

laugh.gif

OK, OK you guys win!
Other than just one video review on this, I was just curious if anyone had tried this method of claying that's all.

Originally Posted by Char Baby
laugh.gif

OK, OK you guys win!
Other than just one video review on this, I was just curious if anyone had tried this method of claying that's all.

LOL. Actually it looks you won too!

...as if clay bar is expensive...same thing with those who use Pledge furniture wipes to clean their vehicles...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by grampi

...as if clay bar is expensive...same thing with those who use Pledge furniture wipes to clean their vehicles...

Huh? Never heard of that, and can't imagine why someone would think that was a good idea.

I use plumber's putty to clay my vehicles. It works fantastically and I couldn't imagine paying $20 for basically the same thing in a different package.

No one is insisting, just asking the question for others to answer whether they've tried it!
And it's not saving pennies, it's actually saving dollars. Time after time after time after time.

This is what e.g., Pinterest and other consumer sites including BITOG are for. Even consumer based publications mention all the time when they print how good white vinegar or diluted bleach is for everyday use around the house instead of expensive OTC products.

OR how good/same CHEAP powdered dishwasher soap is in your laundry compared to expensive "Oxyclean".

And if plumbers putty works the same for $2 compared to a clay bar for $20...why not?
A lot of people live this way based on their budget. It's important to them.

Thanks,

CB

Last edited:
I bought a pack of 3 clay bars years ago for $15. I've used one.

So yeah. You save dollars I suppose. But you're also using an unknown material on a very fragile surface. No thanks.

It seems to me that if a person is claying their car(s) so often that it makes financial sense to choose Plumber's Putty over Detailer Clay, then that person is claying their car(s) waaay too much.

Originally Posted by The_Nuke
It seems to me that if a person is claying their car(s) so often that it makes financial sense to choose Plumber's Putty over Detailer Clay, then that person is claying their car(s) waaay too much.

Exactly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back