Plugged A Tire Yesterday.

I've seen this argument play out over and over again. There seems to be no compromise on either side.

My take on it... any repaired tire, by any method in or out of guidelines, may fail earlier than the rest. Or not. And some repairs that shouldn't work, do, and repairs that should, don't.

And tire shops are strongly driven by liability and profit.

I've seen this argument play out over and over again. There seems to be no compromise on either side.

My take on it... any repaired tire, by any method in or out of guidelines, may fail earlier than the rest. Or not. And some repairs that shouldn't work, do, and repairs that should, don't.

And tire shops are strongly driven by liability and profit.
What I have seen is a surprising number of members mocking long established safety protocol
Its not just about your personal risk … most of us have dependents and share public roadways

Last edited:
Look at some youtube videos from third world countries on tire repairs. This repair is pretty tame on the risk scale in comparison. They don't have death wish for themselves or dependents anymore than we do. Take that to any tire store in the country and they will sell you a new tire before fixing it saying they can't touch it for liability reasons.

Only way I'd attempt to patch that tire is to remove from the rim and patch from the inside or use an umbrella patch, the kind that opens up inside the tire. Then put it on the outside rear of the vehicle. Ed

Plugging a tire is only the beginning subject of neglected, and other old vehicles limping along, and the driver doesn't have a clue, until something like a wheel falls off, or something else lets go, and around the world we go. Seems like on bitog anymore that's all it's about. Keeping junk on the road, cheaply as possible, and beyond.

Plugging a tire is only the beginning subject of neglected, and other old vehicles limping along, and the driver doesn't have a clue, until something like a wheel falls off, or something else lets go, and around the world we go. Seems like on bitog anymore that's all it's about. Keeping junk on the road, cheaply as possible, and beyond.
You go with that.

Back