Please Read: BITOG forums migrating to Xenforo

Thanks for all your hard work and dedication, it doesn't go unrecognized
thumbsup2.gif

This is a screenshot of the XF splash page. Looks pretty similar to what we have now.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by wwillson
Yes, it's very similar. XF opens a reply box automatically when you read a thread. The one difference is in XF "Reply" button means quote. If you don't want to quote, then just type a reply in the reply box that's open. The button should say quote, but we don't want to customize anything if we don't have to.

Yeah, I remember that now that you mention it. Kinda annoying.... Downside is you do a "normal" reply, it appears that you're responding to the OP when that's not always the case. The problem is quoting replies is it seems like too many people quote the entire comment, oftentimes including multiple pictures, to add a 3-4 word reply
eek.gif
I suspect people don't realize you can edit/trim the quoted post.

Please make sure the email address in your profile is correct, so you can receive the password reset email.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Yes, there are three themes ready to go. The default BITOG Red and a grey and blue theme to choose from.

Dark theme, please.
smile.gif

I will work on that...

There is one technical hurdle that we couldn't overcome. UBBThreads uses an old password hashing mechanism that makes it very difficult to migrate passwords to Xenforo.

You will have to change your xenforo password before you can use your account.

Probably the most important user account issue is that Xenforo only has one account username. We used your UBBThreads display name as your Xenforo username. You will log into Xenforo with your UBBThreads display name.

Edit: please make sure the email address in your profile is correct, so you can receive the password reset email.

Wayne

So it sounds like everyone will get an email with some kind of password so they can log-in for the 1st time on the new platform using their existing Username, and then will be able to reset their password back to their original password after logging in ... is that correct?

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Dark theme, please.
smile.gif

I will work on that...

There are certainly existing ones available although the layout may not (probably won't) match the current layout. Could one of those be used as-is, without having to customize/edit/tweak it ?

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
...and then will be able to reset their password back to their original password after logging in ... is that correct?

Unless XF requires passwords to contain capital letters, numbers, punctuation, etc and your current one doesn't meet that requirement, you should be able to re-use your old password.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
So it sounds like everyone will get an email with some kind of password so they can log-in for the 1st time on the new platform using their existing Username, and then will be able to reset their password back to their original password after logging in ... is that correct?

You will click on "Lost Password" and this is the form you will get. You have to know and enter the email address in your forum profile.

[Linked Image]

Woohoo! This is the tool that hosts one of the Jeep forums I am in. It has a LOT more functionality than UBB Threads. You can actually like a post without replying, you can "@someone" to alert them to a thread, etc. Good stuff.

Thanks Wayne!

Thank god. As a long time admin of various forums this is going to be amazing.

Last edited:
I was sold as soon as I read......

"Search has long been one of the achilles heels of UBBThreads. Xenforo has a very good search engine, but we're taking it even further and implementing ElasticSearch. We can't wait until you try it out, it's very much like using Google."

The migration is scheduled for Monday July 13th at 10:00AM CDT. We are anticipating about 2 hours from start to finish.

Wayne

Only takes a few seconds. You're right that is an annoyance....

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
The problem is quoting replies is it seems like too many people quote the entire comment, oftentimes including multiple pictures, to add a 3-4 word reply
eek.gif
I suspect people don't realize you can edit/trim the quoted post.

In Xenforo, you can highlight the text you want to quote, instead of quoting the entire post. It's very slick.

Back