Pine Tree Sap Removal ??

Did someone say Pine Tree?

BF578A7F-A2A5-4AED-9611-116385C9D647.jpeg

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot

That's probably not pine. It makes a poor firewood too.

Originally Posted by MoneyJohn
I have used Goof off successfully. Dab a microfiber towel in Goof off and wipe off gently. No elbow grease needed. I was worried if it will cause some paint issue but it was alright. My car's paint is silver though.

I use Goof off often, because I have to deal with both pine AND cottonwood sap.

Works great.

Take a paper towel, put rubbing alcohol on it, put on the area, then use (easy removal) blue masking tape to seal a plastic bag over the area so the alcohol does not evaporate away, sits there and softens up the sap. Try to do this on a cooler day in the shade if possible, will make it less likely that any masking tape adhesive is left behind but if there is, gasoline will remove it.

for me real old sap on 2016 Volvo - HARD - could not remove with fingernail

hot water and dawn - nope
Goo gone - nope
3M adhesive remover - nope
Nail poilish remover (acetone) - Yep!!

Then I clayed polished and waxed

all good

Small amount of gasoline on a cotton make-up remover thingy. Take care with this - flammable, explosive vapours but works great.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by Snagglefoot

That's probably not pine. It makes a poor firewood too.

Ponderosa pine from my own land.
laugh.gif

View attachment 24673

Me too! Heated our house last winter entirely on pine wood from one massive Ponderosa on our property. 5 cords. 🌲 Oak may be king but pine is free and plentiful where we live.

Resized_20200316_133132.jpg

I think I used cooking oil the last time I encountered something similar.

You really want a hydrocarbon solvent not an alcohol, so something like WD40, mineral spirits (paint thinner) or the charcoal lighter is best.

You really want a hydrocarbon solvent not an alcohol, so something like WD40, mineral spirits (paint thinner) or the charcoal lighter is best.
10-4 … and baby oil can even clean a number of things that WD-40 works on …

I pretreat with Optimum No Rinse when I wash my vehicles. No problems with sap. Be careful with solvents.

Back