Pennzoil Ultra Additive Fallout in Sump

So this is not a passenger car I noticed this in, however not sure it makes much of a difference in this case. I use Pennzoil Ultra in all our vehicles, mowers ect... So I pulled our Zeroturn out of storage today, It was parked in early November and last started in December.

The 10w30 Pennzoil Ultra oil in the mower has about 100 hours on it, last changed last July. Before I started it I checked the oil just to make sure there was something in it (wasn't a puddle under it so it had to have had oil in it but I always double check), all looked well. I backed the mower out, and shut it off, it ran at low idle for a total of a minute at most.

I pulled the dipstick after the mower was outside to get a better look at it and there it was, there was the gunky looking stuff that you see in the bottom of the jugs on the dipstick, to be sure I drained the oil out and I believe It was the additives I was seeing on the bottom of the clear container. So I assume if that gunk on the bottom of the containers is additives that have separated once you run the engine it blends back together and if it sits a while the additives fall back out. In this case the thicker oil (10w30) and cooler temps (40) and only running it for a minute splashed some on the dipstick where it stayed where I can see it.

My issue is may just be one of complete ignorance, but I have never seen this with any other oil that I know of, at least not to this degree. It makes me nervous.

I have read all the threads on the subject that I could find and am somewhat comfortable using the oil, although now I am having second thoughts....

Originally Posted by Imp4
You have too much time on your hands.

Well I dont have an excess of time and I have even less money. This is a commercial mower which I paid almost 10k for 10 years ago and I believe a replacement engine is almost 2g for it. This is a substantial amount of money for me and I am hoping to get at least another 10 years out of this mower if we continue to live where we need such a mower.

I just dont understand why there is [censored] falling out of the oil....

You are probably ok. But if it will help you sleep better just change oil brands.

I have seen additive fall out in all the oils I have ever used. Some seem faster than others but, all seem to be affected after a year or so. As soon as the engine starts oil circulation then it will be mixed again.I would not be concerned. Ed

Originally Posted by Imp4
You are making a mountain out of a mole hill.
Period.

I suppose if the 'Rona gets me it doesn't really matter, lol

I just pulled my 84 Cutlass out of storage this evening. I checked before starting (it sat since early November) and there were streaks of gray, I assume additives, on the dipstick. The level was full so I started it up and drove it nearly an hour. When I rechecked the oil at home it looked perfect. Could barely see it on the dipstick because I changed it immediately before parking for winter. Unfortunately I can't remember what oil I put in.
I've noticed this before when it sat a while (probably every spring actually).

Edit: my oil fill was Mobil 1 high mileage 5w30.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Eddie
As soon as the engine starts oil circulation then it will be mixed again.I would not be concerned. Ed

This.

Don't lose sleep over this OP.

Back