Pennzoil Platinum HM 5w20 15 Jeep GC 3.6L

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my wife's Jeep , she drives about 5 minutes to work each day , during the 8600 miles we took the vehicle on a 2000 miles round trip , the 0.5 fuel is a little concerning , possibly from long idling .

The oil life monitor was at 9% at the time of the oil change it looks like I'll be using this handy lil tool ..

The vehicle had 76251 miles on it at the time of the oil report...

IMG_1842.JPG

Last edited:
I'd be curious to see what another lab says about the fuel percentage, but even considering that you have a really good report there!

I have been disappointed lately with the low detergents and ZDDP levels compared to their old oils and others oils.

Originally Posted by ZZman
I have been disappointed lately with the low detergents and ZDDP levels compared to their old oils and others oils.

The oil has a very positive effect on wear and TBN retention. Your opinion is like it's a disappointed when you're house A/C runs more efficient with advanced freon and uses 10% less energy.

The fuel is nothing to worry about. Flashpoint still good, viscosity still good, wear still low. I'd say the oil life monitor is spot on. I love those Pentastar motors. One of the best engines they have ever produced.

Last edited:
The only thing that you have to complain about is the over conservatism of your IOLM.

I'd continue to use that brand oil and run it down to the "change oil" sign.

Originally Posted by dave1251

The oil has a very positive effect on wear and TBN retention. Your opinion is like it's a disappointed when you're house A/C runs more efficient with advanced freon and uses 10% less energy.

Not an opinion as much as a fact when looking at oil reports. Since oils are a balancing act when additives are used I prefer higher detergent levels and ZDDP.

I like PP oil and have used it a lot. I am just disappointed in what appears to be a lowering of additives. Until we discover the other "hidden" additives that oil reports are probably missing, I will still be disappointed.

In a modern engine that has a timing chain and uses a roller cam, high zinc is counterintuitive. High levels of zinc are not needed to protect the camshaft, and modern oils use organic anti-wear additives that don't show up on a UOA, but work just as well. Similarly, high levels of zinc in a direct-injection engine leads to increased timing chain wear. Finally, what do you mean "low detergents," he has a TBN of 3.0 after going 8,600 miles. Pennzoil Platinum is designed for an OCI that the manufacturer sets, usually around 10k, not extended OCI.

I agree Dave ^^^^^

The magnesium and calcium add up to 1400+ ppm.. the mg is also why the TBN is higher at this point too. Oils with higher magnesium always have maintained higher TBN than other oils with no mag.. It has molybdenum at 61 ppm and boron at 56... I'd bet the molybdenum is the trip nuclear moly too.. the zinc and phos have been cut to save the cats... And like another very smart member noted that too much zinc is not the best for timing chain wear..

Looking at the numbers oil is starting to thicken up not thinning. Viscosity number is on the higher end so not thinning out from fuel and add lower flashpoint to the mix you get oil degrading. I would either change earlier or use a different oil. This is just my observation and of course others might not agree.

Originally Posted by ad_infinitum

In a modern engine that has a timing chain and uses a roller cam, high zinc is counterintuitive. High levels of zinc are not needed to protect the camshaft, and modern oils use organic anti-wear additives that don't show up on a UOA, but work just as well. Similarly, high levels of zinc in a direct-injection engine leads to increased timing chain wear. Finally, what do you mean "low detergents," he has a TBN of 3.0 after going 8,600 miles. Pennzoil Platinum is designed for an OCI that the manufacturer sets, usually around 10k, not extended OCI.

I like seeing close to 2,000 or higher for detergents. 1400 + is run of the mill amount for a premium product in my opinion. PUP has a much stronger add pack that I like to see.

Originally Posted by bbhero

I agree Dave ^^^^^

The magnesium and calcium add up to 1400+ ppm.. the mg is also why the TBN is higher at this point too. Oils with higher magnesium always have maintained higher TBN than other oils with no mag.. It has molybdenum at 61 ppm and boron at 56... I'd bet the molybdenum is the trip nuclear moly too.. the zinc and phos have been cut to save the cats... And like another very smart member noted that too much zinc is not the best for timing chain wear..

All those amounts are just typical amounts in what I consider to be a premium product. Not stand out amounts. And in the ZDDP range you can safely go to 800.

I would be curious to know how many CATS are ruined by high ZDDP if they weren't constant oil burners.

There are also, like organic anti-wear additives that don't show on UOA, ash-less detergents/dispersants that don't show up on UOA. Don't use the ppm of anti-wear or detergent metals in an oil analysis as the only factor in determining the overall quality of a lubricant. As the current form of analyzing oil (metals by ppm) is becoming an obsolete way of determining the overall quality of a finished lubricant with ever-increasing technology. That is because it leaves out the organic and ash-less compounds that are highly relevant to the quality analysis of an oil. However, results of a UOA, in terms of wear metals, are always relevant to the quality of a lubricant, because it shows how the organic and non-organic additives, in totality, performed under real-world conditions. Here, the results, even with lower zinc and calcium, (but without being able to gauge organic additives) are excellent.

Originally Posted by ad_infinitum
There are also, like organic anti-wear additives that don't show on UOA, ash-less detergents/dispersants that don't show up on UOA. Don't use the ppm of anti-wear or detergent metals in an oil analysis as the only factor in determining the overall quality of a lubricant. As the current form of analyzing oil (metals by ppm) is becoming an obsolete way of determining the overall quality of a finished lubricant with ever-increasing technology. That is because it leaves out the organic and ash-less compounds that are highly relevant to the quality analysis of an oil. However, results of a UOA, in terms of wear metals, are always relevant to the quality of a lubricant, because it shows how the organic and non-organic additives, in totality, performed under real-world conditions. Here, the results, even with lower zinc and calcium, (but without being able to gauge organic additives) are excellent.

In that case the oil testing companies should change with the times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back