Pennzoil Launches Four New Motor Oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Originally Posted by mattwithcats
At $178.57 a quart, I will pass...

Pennzoil 550053576 Maximum Power Full Synthetic 0W-30 Motor Oil, 1 Quart, 6 Pack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XPS8RQB/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_dIFHDbW3S44DY

It's actually for 6qts but I digress...

(that's a ridiculous pre-release price. anybody stupid enough to order it now at that price needs to have their head examined)

Wow!!

So basically Shell has decided that Rotella Gas Truck is doing well and they can clean up the remainder of the over the counter customer base with more gimmicks? Either that or the guy who distributes the moly add pack into the oil, spilt a little too much into a few vats and Pennzoil is just calling it something fancy (and the guy has since been fired).

Originally Posted by demarpaint
Originally Posted by mattwithcats
At $178.57 a quart, I will pass...

Pennzoil 550053576 Maximum Power Full Synthetic 0W-30 Motor Oil, 1 Quart, 6 Pack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XPS8RQB/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_dIFHDbW3S44DY

It's actually for 6qts but I digress...

(that's a ridiculous pre-release price. anybody stupid enough to order it now at that price needs to have their head examined)

Wow!!

At $30qt it better be made from unicorn blood!...

Originally Posted by dkryan

I like SOPUS oils but they have gone overboard with the marketing. Did you read that Gina Fishback?

You have provided way too many choices for a a huge segment of drivers who simply don't give motor oil a second thought once they leave the dealership or Iffy-Lube.

Get focused!

Gena's a brand mgr, how do you know she/they didn't use focus groups to justify launching this new product line? (from a marketing standpoint, it's actually smart as most consumers want to be removed from the complexities of deciding which oil to use..they see "Start Stop" and say, "That's me..I drive in town a lot" and it wouldn't exactly be disingenuous of SOPUS if the formula is shown to better address the unique problems associated with start stop driving)

(you and I are the exception; how many people do you know that spend hours learning about wear, shear forces, VI, MOFT, fuel dilution, grp3 v. grp4 or copolymers?.. aside from BITOG'ers, not many in my circle of friends)

Agree. We are the exception on here.

We live in a time of instant gratification. People don't want to have to think.

Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta
I CANT WAIT TO BUY THESE FOR .85 CENTS A QUART IN 2021!!!

lol.gif

Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
Originally Posted by fdcg27
So SOPUS finally offers an ILSAC 0W-30 grade oil?
Took 'em long enough.

Sort of. It's only 9.6 cSt @ 100

According to the pdf it is also UNBEATBALE
shocked2.gif

https://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/prod...07565e3786f72a927/Max_Power_0W30_TDS.pdf

That's embarrassing. Someone forgot to proofread before publishing. That's our state of education.

Actually, it is our state of culture. People don't value education. You can't teach those who don't think it is important to learn nor important to be accurate and precise. Pop culture is destroying good communication, as well.

Back to these oils. I see nothing wrong with it. All will be fine oils but can be simply tweaked to give someone a bit of choice based on their perceived driving style and priority. Big deal. It's the free market and I'm fine with it. When I run Pennzoil, I'll stick with Ultra Platinum. They said it isn't going anywhere.

Originally Posted by dkryan
Originally Posted by RyanY
Originally Posted by walterjay
More time awake in the middle of the night trying to figure out if I used the right stuff in my car.

I'm going to argue that this is brilliant marketing! Think about a person of average abilities - at least, in the realm of auto maintenance - and note that half the population is on the low side of that. These are the folks that drive a hybrid, want better fuel economy, do a lot of start/stop driving, or just want their grocery getter to get there a little faster (just like everyone else does). These new oils just eliminate the decision process for the folks who dont want to overthink it!.

Uh, no!

"Average abilities........in the realm of auto maintenance.........and half the population is on the low side of that."

Most of the people you just referenced (about 85% is my guess) simply go to a dealership or a Quiki-lube and follow whatever "recommendation" is given to them by the $11 an hour employee.

Most of those same people could not remotely tell you about synthetic oils, the leading major brands, GF-5 versus GF-6, API ratings, etc.

Why?

Because they don't care. You should not expect the majority, to any degree, to educate themselves as to oil and related maintenance choices.

I like SOPUS oils but they have gone overboard with the marketing. Did you read that Gina Fishback?

You have provided way too many choices for a a huge segment of drivers who simply don't give motor oil a second thought once they leave the dealership or Iffy-Lube.

Get focused!

Yeah, but how are they at any disadvantage, in terms of their engine, than the BITOG guys who keep saying "buy the cheapest oil and filter and change it according to the OLM. It will do as well as that expensive oil you are using." Maybe they are happier because they don't spend hours upon hours overthinking which oil and filter give what in reality amounts to 1% advantage over the cheap bulk stuff.

Sometimes I think it can be an advantage to be ignorant and happy.

Pennzoil isn't aiming these at ignorant consumers. I think it is pointed directly at the experts right here on this forum. After all this cackling, BITOGers will start buying it, getting VOAs, will start liking particular additives, then the UOAs will come, which will be good, because it is Pennzoil, and then we'll start buying the one we like. Pennzoil laughs all the way to the bank. Oh yeah, there will also be the ones who secretly buy their favorite but don't tell anyone here.

I remember all the hooting and hollering and laughing over Rotella Gas Truck, then started seeing VOA's then UOA's pop up.

Come on, admit it. The curiosity about these formulas and their minute differences will be eating BITOGers up, in no time, once the noise settles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by gotnogunk
I'm old and slow, but harvest king and Walmart is looking better all the time

Yea, me too. No Harvest King here but SuperTech satisfies my needs.

it wouldn't exactly be disingenuous of SOPUS if the formula is shown to better address the unique problems associated with start stop driving)
When I saw that, I assumed it was for cars with start/stop systems.

Originally Posted by IndyFan

Yeah, but how are they at any disadvantage, in terms of their engine, than the BITOG guys who keep saying "buy the cheapest oil and filter and change it according to the OLM. It will do as well as that expensive oil you are using." Maybe they are happier because they don't spend hours upon hours overthinking which oil and filter give what in reality amounts to 1% advantage over the cheap bulk stuff.

Sometimes I think it can be an advantage to be ignorant and happy.

Pennzoil isn't aiming these at ignorant consumers. I think it is pointed directly at the experts right here on this forum. After all this cackling, BITOGers will start buying it, getting VOAs, will start liking particular additives, then the UOAs will come, which will be good, because it is Pennzoil, and then we'll start buying the one we like. Pennzoil laughs all the way to the bank. Oh yeah, there will also be the ones who secretly buy their favorite but don't tell anyone here.

I remember all the hooting and hollering and laughing over Rotella Gas Truck, then started seeing VOA's then UOA's pop up.

Come on, admit it. The curiosity about these formulas and their minute differences will be eating BITOGers up, in no time, once the noise settles.

+1

Last edited:
IMO 0W30 would have been nicer if it were on the "thicker" end of the grade.

I agree with others, give them about a year in stores like AZ and AAP and look for the $1/qt, or less closeout prices.

I won't touch it for my turbo motor, I would with a 11.5 cSt @ 100 Sorry, I will pass.

This is like selling one toothpaste for whiter teeth, one for sensitivity, and another for max flouride protection. Why can't you just mix this whole brew together?

My hybrid starts and stops all the time. Checkmate!

QS sold "4x4 blend" and that cold-start 0w30 stuff which then flopped. Guess they made a buck or two if they're trying it again.

Originally Posted by Mainia
IMO 0W30 would have been nicer if it were on the "thicker" end of the grade.

I agree with others, give them about a year in stores like AZ and AAP and look for the $1/qt, or less closeout prices.

I won't touch it for my turbo motor, I would with a 11.5 cSt @ 100 Sorry, I will pass.

thumbsup2.gif
I'll pass using it in my non-turbo engines too.

I'm confused from a retailer standpoint. Are retailers supposed to make 4 times as much room on the shelves for this now? It will end up cannibalizing sales of PP/PUP and will also lead to decreased availability of all products across the board at any given retailer. My current Walmart already has problems keeping PP stocked on the shelves in all the available weights. This will only exasperate the problem IMHO by multiplying the product lines.

Originally Posted by zuluplus30
I'm confused from a retailer standpoint. Are retailers supposed to make 4 times as much room on the shelves for this now? It will end up cannibalizing sales of PP/PUP and will also lead to decreased availability of all products across the board at any given retailer. My current Walmart already has problems keeping PP stocked on the shelves in all the available weights. This will only exasperate the problem IMHO by multiplying the product lines.

It will exasperate the problem for a while, until they realize certain products in the Pennzoil lineup a going to be duds, then they blow it out at closeout prices and free up space again for the stuff that does sell. We knew AP would be a dud, and the price would drop, it seems XOM still hasn't learned from that flop, and judging from this Pennzoil might have made an even bigger mistake.

Are retailers supposed to make 4 times as much room on the shelves for this now? It will end up cannibalizing sales of PP/PUP and will also lead to decreased availability of all products across the board at any given retailer. My current Walmart already has problems keeping PP stocked on the shelves in all the available weights. This will only [exacerbate] the problem IMHO by multiplying the product lines.
I got the impression from the press release that it will be online only. I'm not sure if they meant only at first with brick and mortar coming later.

Originally Posted by MrMoody
I got the impression from the press release that it will be online only. ...

Same here. Got to wonder just how much shelf space B&M is going to be willing to take up with generally redundant (and probably overpriced) offerings from the same manufacturer (although I wondered why SOPUS didn't already do a 0W-30 in something other than a Euro spec oil).

Last edited:

Amazon and Walmart.com have limitless shelf space.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back